1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

loose steering

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by redneckinthecity, Jul 22, 2006.

1. redneckinthecity

redneckinthecity
    Expand Collapse

So like any ram (from what i get) were notorious for loose steering, hell i can turn the truck with a finger. Now normal driving is fine, hell i love it in the city as i can swing that wheel around but on the highway its a little nerve racking. Everytime i go over one of those breaks in the highway (those breaks on the bridges that connects them to the road) the truck will buck like a bronco (har har :rotfl: ) Im just wondering what i can do to tighten up that steering and the front end for that matter. Anything I should be looking for?

Also the ball joints were just done about a month and a half ago so i dont believe that those are the problems.

2. NJ Denali

NJ Denali
    Expand Collapse

Start by tighetening the steering box. That took all but the slightest play out of my steering.

As far as items to check, look at the swaybar ends, tie rod ends, drag link, pitman arm, etc. Look at every joint connected to the steering.

My loose track bar really throws off my steering on bumps. Check that first.

3. redneckinthecity

redneckinthecity
    Expand Collapse

Righto thanks for the info, ill be checking it soon. Now how would i go about tightening that steering box?

4. Archer

Archer
    Expand Collapse

On the top of the box there is a allen bolt with a locking nut holding it down. While holding the allen wrench, loosen the nut. Tighten the allen 1/4" at a time, again, holding the allen with a wrench, tighten the nut back down. Go check it between each adjustment. Be careful not to tighten it too much as you will loose it's centering ability...

Overall this is usually just a temp fix and the box will need replacing...

5. redneckinthecity

redneckinthecity
    Expand Collapse

How much does a new box usually run for a 1st gen? Would it just be worth it to get a new box or keep on tightening it?

On the note of the tie rod ends and such, what do i want to look for? Rust? Do i move it around and if its loose replace it?