Let's see your 88-98 Chevy lifted trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by Hardcorehunter, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter
    Expand Collapse

Guys, I need advice on what brand of lift to use on my 1997 extended cab 1/2 ton Z71 4X4. I want a 4-6" lift with the ability to run 35" BFG All Terrain T/As on it. It will see no off road use and will be stricktly a daily driver for my wife. Some pics of your trucks with lifts on them would sure be appreciated so I can see the look I am looking for. Thanks.

PS. I would also appreciate any Colorado shops that you recommend to have it installed.

2. Glock36

Glock36
    Expand Collapse

Well right now on my 96 I have the 6"Skyjacker lift with a 3" PA body lift..I love it but just waiting to do my SAS..

[​IMG]

3. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter
    Expand Collapse

I have seen and read about how a lot of you guys get rid of the IFS and do a SAS. Can I expect trouble with an IFS, and 35" tires? I see Rancho recommends only 33" on their kit while Superlift recommends 35". Your truck looks great BTW.

4. quick10ss

quick10ss
    Expand Collapse

this was my old set up. i was the dick cepek 6.5 stage 2 lift and the tires are 35x12.50x15 on a 8 in wide rim

[​IMG]

and here it is now with 12 in sas on 39s

[​IMG]

ifs lifts arent bad but be prepared to replace ball joints and tie rod ends. i wheeled mine for about a year with no major problems

5. Glock36

Glock36
    Expand Collapse

I ran 38.5" TSL's for a long time and had to replace a few things.. Got the 36" (well 36.8") IROKS now and less stress on the front..Running 35's you should be fine.. I just want to go bigger and badder and worry less out on the trails..

6. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

heres 35's on a 3" bl and a torsion bar crank with 2" block rear

[​IMG]

10" sas lift and 35's

[​IMG]

13" sas and 40's

or heres my reg cab (originally a long box)17" lift sas no body 1 tons and 40s

[​IMG]

7. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy
    Expand Collapse

Dick Cepek Stage 2 6" lift and 2" body lift. Running 38.5X11 boggers.

Attached Files:

8. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy
    Expand Collapse

One not in water.

Attached Files:

9. Demon offroad

Demon offroad
    Expand Collapse

6 inch Pro Comp IFS lift, a 3 inch body lift, and 39.5 irok's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SAS and 44 TSL's

[​IMG]

10. MaddogZ71

MaddogZ71
    Expand Collapse

If you want to run 35's and do it right, get a full drop kit like the dick cepek 6.5". Don't crank the t-bars over stock and don't run a wheel wider than 8" or you may get rubbing. Those are what nearly all manufacturers recommend for a 6" lift.

11. 02bbcummins

02bbcummins
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: if u wanna look at my old truck it is under the name 97z71rebel.. it is still on here i believe.. it was a 6" pro comp susp with 3" body with 35's. the reason i put the BL on is because anytime i went offroad i would rub. if u say it wont go off road u will definetly be fine. i also had 10 inch wide rims. personally i dont like the look of 35x12.5 with 8" rims. u shouldnt have to replace ball joints at all with 35's. at least i didnt, and i wheeled every weekend. another thing that varies with everyone is whether or not u have a z71 or 4x4. not a big difference but if u have a Z71 u should have 3.73 gears. u will be fine with that as long as u dont plan on power braking everywhere. i did that a lot and still never broke nothing.. the only thing i ever replaced due to the lift was the U-joints..1 time. so good luck and i guess what i am saying is u will be fine with 6" susp and 35s.

12. 3rdCoastSierra

3rdCoastSierra
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

98z71 k1500, with 3in lift and 31's im putting 33's on in a week..

13. CHOGA

CHOGA
    Expand Collapse

Ive heard that RCD is making a pretty good ifs lift now for those. From experience I would stay away from pro-comp. They may have changed their lift since I bought mine years ago, but they burnt me so I will never go back lol...

14. MaddogZ71

MaddogZ71
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like from your buying a cummins that you learned never to purchase an IFS truck again. :bigthumb:

15. BigXBear

BigXBear
    Expand Collapse

Rancho and Dick cepek make the best lifts,

Rancho is only a 4inch lift but I fit 35's on my 2dr blazer/tahoe easy. Very good lift keeps all angles like stock on front end parts, i never had any problems due to the 35's.

Should be no problems with 35's anything bigger will cause extreme wear. Also make sure to get lower gears as the trans will be hurting with 35's

heres my baby all purty

[​IMG]

16. MaddogZ71

MaddogZ71
    Expand Collapse

You should look in the rides section under Chevy. As you've seen, at least half the people that have responded to this have done a SAS on their Chevy/GMC, which may be more involved then what you're interested in.

17. Hardcorehunter

Hardcorehunter
    Expand Collapse

Some nice looking trucks guys!!!!!

I called a shop in CO that is a chain store that sells and installs lift kits. The guy told me that with 200,000 miles on my truck that I should replace the front end parts on my truck at a cost of $1500 before I even lift the truck, because the parts are probably due to be replaced; especially if I am going with a lift. He then said it would be approx $2,500 to $3,000 to lift the truck for the kit and labor. He said that I should replace the front driveshaft too with one that allows me to drive down the road in 4 wheel drive at high speeds like I can and do now, and this was put into the cost. He recommended pro comp lifts as the best for chevy IFS. He told me that every 50,000 to 60,000 miles my front end will probably need serviced after driving with the lift kit and 35" tires.

I have decided to not lift this truck, I would have $5,000 into it and not even have wheels and tires bought yet. He recommended a pre 1988 solid axle chevy pickup and lift it to the sky if I want. He said IFS's are expensive and will never be as durable as a solid axle. He said that he has had some solid axle swaps prices go as high as $10,000 to $15,000. I have always really like the 1969-1972 chevy body style and am looking for one of these in a 3/4 ton. I am also entertaining a late 70's early 80's one ton 4x4 if I can find a rust free one too. I am sticking with a solid axle front end as my truck to lift and restore. Thanks again for all of the advice.

18. crystal_43920

crystal_43920
    Expand Collapse

Custom Built Chevy!!

This is a friend of mines truck, I fell in love with it ever since he started working on it. It has a diesel engine, and was built on a school bus frame. It also requires a CDL to drive since it has air breaks!! I absolutely love this truck!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. CeviL

CeviL
    Expand Collapse

B.A. truck but you revived a 3 y/o topic.

20. BigMFStick

BigMFStick
    Expand Collapse

lol. that red truck is sssoo sick. badest tow pig ever!!