How to tie an easy knot with tow straps??

Discussion in 'Trail Info, Reviews, Stories, Tech' started by Clint Z, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Clint Z

Clint Z New Member

Is there a good knot that is easy to get out. Me nor my brother have D-rings and we are tired of cutting the strap. Any good knots that hold yet are easy to un-tie?? Thanks.

2. DubyaAA

DubyaAA New Member

why would you want to tie a knot?

3. Jtwilliams

Jtwilliams New Member

Hey clint its me fata$$ lol. Actullay i dont no if u want to do this but if u wanna get a very small strap like 3 ft with looped ends and run them thro what ever u want to hook to ,then place the looped ends in side the d ring, then all u got to do is hook ur strap to the d ring and presto no more knots hehe.

4. DubyaAA

DubyaAA New Member

he said they dont have d rings

5. Jtwilliams

Jtwilliams New Member

I Think he ment he doesnt have a place to attach the d rings on the truck like some bumpers have, but with what i said he can just loop it around what ever wantts and not have to worry about cuttin knots.Hey clint tell dj if he wants do rings to hollar at me ok?

6. AUdakota

AUdakota New Member

a square not would possible work. Im an eagle scout and know my knots hehe

7. GregB

GregB New Member

If I remember correctly, I read somewheres that when you tie a knot you should put a stick in the middle of it. This will keep the knot from geeting to tight where you cant get it loose.

8. michael9688

michael9688 New Member

the one i got at walmart has loops. i just stick the loop into the hole where the reciever hitch goes and put the reciever pin through it

9. DubyaAA

DubyaAA New Member

i still dont understand why you would want a knot, why dont you just put it in the receiver and put the pin through the loop

10. Contender54

Contender54 New Member

If you are talking about combining two straps, you have to get it right the first time, otherwise you'll have a hard time getting them apart. I don't like to put a d-ring b/t two straps b/c I don't want that metal flying through the air. I have found that a stick of sufficient girth can provide a lever to pry the knot apart if it is inserted properly before the pull. To figure out where in the knot to place it, just play with it before pressure is applied. It works for me.

11. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I think hes talking about those longer pulls when you need two straps tied together. In that case I dont use know because they can slip. I just loop the 2 together then put a stick in it like someone else said to keep it from getting too tight

well, contender you beat me to the punch...lol,

12. Contender54

Contender54 New Member

You can put a stick in the knot before pressure is applied. If you get it right, the stick can be used as a lever to pry the knot apart.

13. Clint Z

Clint Z New Member

Well let me rephrase, just a WAY to hook up a tow strap with little hassle, but if there is some kind of knot that would work good. I'm open for all sorts of ideas. I am going to get a D-ring, so that will take away much hassle. I like the stick idea. I need to get a strap that already has a loop. I think ours used to but snapped.

14. djgaston

djgaston Well-Known Member

Geez. :roll: Who cares why he is asking, if he wants to know how to do it then just tell him if you know.

The reason he is asking is because one of my tow straps has no loops, it is just straight rope. I have one with loops and one without. I tie them onto the truck and they hold fine but they will not come loose without a hammer and screwdriver. We need a knot that we can tie that will hold and not come loose under pressure, but loosens up easily by hand, if there is such a thing. Currently I just whip out the pocket knife and cut a few inches off every time, then buy new rope once in a while. I wish it had loops in it but it doesn't and that is what we have to use.

15. DeerHunter

DeerHunter New Member

tie slip knots for loops

16. Kevin108

Kevin108 Well-Known Member

I'll ask a couple guys at work tomorrow. We've got a couple there that are really sharp on knots. Maybe I can get you a drawing or something.

Personally I've got a shackel, 60' of rope with loops at both ends, and about 20' of chain, but sometimes you don't have your own rig or your own {expletive} and being the guy who knew how to tie up a knot that would easily untie would make you king snit in that situation.

17. Ruppel

Ruppel New Member

i have used that putting a stick in the middle before and i tell you what, it doesn't just slide right off. it is still wedged b/t those two straps pretty good. try making a neuse on the ends. might be kinda hard to do if you are using a flat tow strap.

18. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Its ok bud...I think it was necessary to ask why he wanted to to be able to answer. It was kindof unspecific, I even got a little confused...but thanks for clarifying

19. djgaston

djgaston Well-Known Member

Yeah I am just tired of seeing everybody say "why would you want to do that" when somebody wants to know how. It aggrivates the piss out of me that some people would rather question somebody than try to help them out.

The strap is a flat strap. What I am doing now is sort of a fishing knot, you run it around whatever and then wrap the rope around itself two times, then go through one of the holes that the wrapping created, and pull tight. It holds AWESOME, so awesome that I still have two chunks of rope on my front tow hooks. :hack:

20. Dayid

Dayid New Member

Use a bowline knot... It ALWAYS comes undone easily as the nature of the knot, but will not slip at all...

http://24.73.140.153:8080/other/images-other/bowline_knot/

The pictures are #'s as they were taken, showing how to tie it. The last image shows the portion you move to "unlock" the knot.

Whoever chimed in that they were an Eagle scout should recognize this as it is one of the first knots you ever learn :p: