How to Cut Steel Braided Hose Without Fraying it?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by RattlinDodge, Feb 11, 2004.

1. RattlinDodge

RattlinDodge
    Expand Collapse

I need to cut my existing stainless steel braided tranny cooler line and don't want to use a hack saw or risk getting fragments in the line.

Is there some sort of cheap cutter that I can get to make a CLEAN cut through the braided line without contaminating the line with rubber/steel fragments? :bigthumb:

2. BlazinToy

BlazinToy
    Expand Collapse

would a pipe cutter work...

i dunno never had to do that thats the best thing i could think of off the top of my head...

3. UPmudrat

UPmudrat
    Expand Collapse

bolt cutters or side cutters

4. RattlinDodge

RattlinDodge
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, have you used these on it before? This is a one shot thing so I don't want to screw it up and fray the lines.

5. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

tape it tight, put it in a vise and cut it with a hack saw.

6. Kris P

Kris P
    Expand Collapse

Ive had good luck wrapping it in narrow masking tape before I cut it.

7. RattlinDodge

RattlinDodge
    Expand Collapse

I want to avoid removing the whole line if I can avoid it. I just need to cut it and put in a barbed T fitting and hose clamps.

8. UPmudrat

UPmudrat
    Expand Collapse

No never tried it on braided line but I cut off some power steering lines. If you tape where you are going to cut it should work.

9. csutton7

csutton7
    Expand Collapse

a good sharp chisel works great--yes it won't last but you just resharpen it---put the hose on a hard metal surface and set chisel and smack the chisel hard--the best chisel is the all metal ones that are big--exact name escapes me right now---

other choice is a cut off wheel in a mini grinder---

I'd use the tape in all instances--besides keeping the braid together it gives you a good reference line for cutting---

hacksaws suck, but if that's all you got tape it tight---chris

10. cj ford

cj ford
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: use a cut off wheel on a die grinder if ya have one or hacksaw works too but thats manual labour...cuts very clean but ya have to tape the spot ya cut with electrical tape tight....thats how i cut all my braided fuel lines on my prostreet

11. zj

zj
    Expand Collapse

Tape the snot out of it and use a cutoff wheel. Hacksaws suck a$$ Take the hose off when you do it also then blow it out with compressed air when you're done.

12. WMIF

WMIF
    Expand Collapse

hacksaws blow chunks for this. either a cutoff wheel in a die grinder, or a cutoff saw. and use tape. intead of just putting a t qith hose clamps, why dont you find fittings that are actually made for the hose. the clamps will tear up the braiding and start unraveling it.

13. JeepCrawler98

JeepCrawler98
    Expand Collapse

Wrap the hose tightly with duct-tape around the cutting area, then cut where you need to. You CAN use a hacksaw - but it wont make as smooth of a cut as a circular-motion based cutter.

14. nothere1984

nothere1984
    Expand Collapse

use a table saw with a pipr cutting blade and wrape it in tape

15. WMIF

WMIF
    Expand Collapse

have you all seriously worked with this crap? i wouldnt recomend using a hack saw one bit. even wrapping the tape super tight, i couldnt stop the hack saw from ripping the wires apart. it makes an absolute mess. use a cut-off wheel in a chop saw(preferably) or die grinder.

16. nothere1984

nothere1984
    Expand Collapse

yes ive worked with it befor...i hate it but when its done right its nice to use

17. Archer

Archer
    Expand Collapse

I'm with ya 100% on this one. Air cutters are our friends........Hacksaw "aka" Hatchet

18. freak

freak
    Expand Collapse

All my fuel system is Aeroquip.I used a high speed cut off wheel for my air compressor.It worked great,don't know if you'll have enough room to use one though.

19. JeepCrawler98

JeepCrawler98
    Expand Collapse

http://www.4x4tj.com/articles.php?id=1

Yup, worked with it :D:

20. RattlinDodge

RattlinDodge
    Expand Collapse

Ahhh here is what I'm going to use. Harbor Freight has the same thing for 20 bucks! Looks very clean and won't have to deal with metal fragments entering my cooling lines. Should take all of 2 seconds to cut and no :hack:

http://www.irvansmith.com/catalog2/parts/setup_braided_hose_cutter.shtml