1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

How long can I drive on bad ball joints?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Rambill II, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Rambill II

Rambill II
    Expand Collapse

I have one lower ball joint that makes a rattle when I come in or out of my driveway. The truck drives very straight and the steering feels very tight, and the bad ball joint does not make noise just driving on the street. But when I go over the curb to get in my driveway or drive off of the driveway I can hear it.

I bought the new ball joints (delivered today), but I am waiting for the ball joint press I ordered and this weekend to arrive to do them. I know it's the ball joint because I tested for it and have seen the movement in it. I have also eliminated everything else by checking, besides everything else is brand new when I did my axle swap in January (I knew I should have just gone ahead and did the ball joints then...:wall: )

How long have you guys driven on bad ball joints and do you think I will or won't have a problem driving with it for another week or two?

2. hieneken49

hieneken49
    Expand Collapse

u should be ok for a week or two, ur tire will be wearing prematurely and faster the longer you drive on it. mine were bad for a few weeks and one of my tires looks like it has about 10k more miles on it than the other 3

3. Mikeg1005

Mikeg1005
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm.. Lets just say I ran hell's revenge, and Moab rim, Carnage Boulder and Chinaman's and then drove 1100 miles home on popping ball joints lol.

MIke.

4. Rambill II

Rambill II
    Expand Collapse

Well it's defineltely going to get done here quickly because I don't want it like that. This is my daily driver too and I don't like pops and rattles. But it's reassuring to hear that you guys have driven on yours for a while.

A rattling control arm, or a bad shock etc... is not scary, but when something that holds your wheels on is going bad, it makes me nervous.

I'm still pissed that I didn't change them when I had the damn axles out prepping them for the swap.....urrrrg!

Mike, take my advice and change them puppies out on your one tons before you put them on the truck!

5. LIL Mack

LIL Mack
    Expand Collapse

How long will they last?? till one breaks!! lol

No realy have put a few hundred miles on ball joints that were going out.. but when they got really loose i changed them out.. tires do wear faster..

6. redneckinthecity

redneckinthecity
    Expand Collapse

Lets just put it this way...

My ball joints on my old truck ran just fine. When I finally brought it in there was 6 inches of movement either way. My mechanic (still in school and no clue how to change them out :wall: ) told me my truck couldnt leave until they were fixed.

Now thats a ball joint.

7. KURTZ

KURTZ
    Expand Collapse

i've been told by a mechanic that they were made to never fall apart they just get real loose. I had driven bad ones for a good 5 months

8. 01ctd

01ctd
    Expand Collapse

i have put about 1200 miles on a bad set running a 38