1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

How can I tell if this cat is worth money?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Hometheaterman, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Hometheaterman

Hometheaterman
    Expand Collapse

I hear people saying that you can look inside a catalytic converter and see if it's worth anything at the scrap yard. What do I want to look for? I had a Magnaflow put on my truck and was just wondering if the stock one would be worth selling for scrap. Also any idea on how much I should expect to get from it at a scrap yard?

2. s_man692000

s_man692000
    Expand Collapse

I dont know how to tell if they are worth anything or not,but my brother gets about 60 to 70 each for smaller import ones ,he has a small junkyard in east Tennessee .If I think of it Ill ask him how you tell.

3. raiderx72

raiderx72
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i know of a place in CT that you can get 80 for cats

4. s_man692000

s_man692000
    Expand Collapse

Yeah Im sure it depends on where you go to cash it in,all the local scrap yards around here have different payout prices .

5. RAMZOID

RAMZOID
    Expand Collapse

The CAT has to have the Honeycome stuff in side of it.If has been gutted Its worth nothing.I have gotten up to 150 dollars for a CAT. It all matters if its small/large forgin or small/large domistic. Thats how they get priced. If its an aftermarket CAT Dont get to much for them eaither..

6. Hometheaterman

Hometheaterman
    Expand Collapse

Pretty sure it's a OEM cat and it hasn't been gutted. It looks original and I'm almost positive it is. When I look through it I can just barely see light on the other side. It looks about like the Magnaflow in that aspect. You can't really see much through it.

7. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

oem truck cats are going for $200+ here

i took in one from a 96 cavalier with a 2.4 and got $165 for it

the reason they are worth money is the oem cats have platinum inside them, which when melted down comes out to about the size of a dime in a average cat

8. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

It all depends on how they are formed on the inside and the size.

Some Chrysler cats. have like a swirlled look inside them...like the stuff was rolled and then put inside. Those ones arent worth a whole lot since it is stainless steel mesh basically with the platinum on it, and is rolled and put inside...and they dont have a way to melt the platinum off without the SS melting too. But if it has the normal honeycomb type look, and its full...its worth some good cash since those are ceramic and they can melt the platinum off and seperate it from the ceramic.

GM cats go for the most, and Ford cats are the least. Dodge/Chrysler cats very depending on how they are made.

9. RAMZOID

RAMZOID
    Expand Collapse

Very well said. Around here forgin cats go for more.

10. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

what are forgin cats?

is forgin a Virginia curse word?

:dunno:

11. s_man692000

s_man692000
    Expand Collapse

You mean forgin as in "forgin icehole" ? :rotfl:

12. RAMZOID

RAMZOID
    Expand Collapse

Oh wow I left out 1 letter..Foreign Is this better :flipoff: Noones perfect.

13. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

You have why-olated my fargin rights!

14. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

shoot me with a p.m where he is located. i might need some parts from him :D: