HELPPPP! popping through exhaust under load

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by virginiaram, Mar 17, 2010.

1. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

Well I put new rod bearings in my motor, put it all back together and got the truck running. Did a fuel sync on the motor and its sitting between 0 and 1.

The truck is popping through the exhaust while driving down the road, but you can hold it at a constant throttle while in park and it wont pop at all. The idle is at 700rpm while in gear like it always has been since I've owned the truck, but idles a little rough.

It almost seems like the motor is missing, but its only under load..which confused me to no end. and when you get up to 45mph and cruise, but the motor gets a really bad shake.

Any ideas?

'99 318

2. foxracing584

foxracing584
    Expand Collapse

RE: popping through exhaust under load

header gaskets/exhaust manifold gaskets? just a guess. it did that on my old 86 chevy 355.

3. jeffktec

jeffktec
    Expand Collapse

vacum advance not hooked up?

4. bobczyk

bobczyk
    Expand Collapse

Don't over-think this just yet---could be just bad gas.

5. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

the gas HAS been sitting in the truck for 5 months..but wouldn't it miss just revving or holding it at a constant throttle while in park?

6. jeffktec

jeffktec
    Expand Collapse

no, vacum advance only works under a load

7. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

im pretty sure i hooked the vacuum advance up, but i'll check tomorrow after work[hr]
    its not the header gaskets, i made sure they didnt leak before i ever drove the truck

8. jeffktec

jeffktec
    Expand Collapse

Once had a 85 toyota that did that, after 3 days of searching found the coil wire was cracked on the bottom, and when the motor would torqe over it would streatch that just enough to arc over and short out. would not do it in the drive way, had to be under a load

9. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

Okay I apparently don't know what the vacuum advance is, because what I THOUGHT it was....is hooked up. So where is the vacuum advance located?

10. dodgethis12

dodgethis12
    Expand Collapse

There is no vacuum advance on the 2nd gen rams....

This is the problem you run into on here with a bunch of idiots who think they know what they are talking about.

You are having ignition breakdown problems or fuel problems.

Test your fuel pressure... I have had this similar problem and it was bad fuel pump. It simply would put out enough pressure to keep up under load.

It could very well be your bad gas....

I would also be inclined to check your ignition system... wires, and dist. cap especially for corrosion and moisture. Verify your coil is functioning correctly...

11. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

:rotfl:

I'm guessing you simply don't have the fuel sync correct.

That said, the fuel pressure/system is easy enough to check. As far as the ignition goes - if you determine it is NOT a fuel sync problem - I would start with the basics if routine maintenance items haven't been replaced in a while. I.E. new spark plugs (properly gapped), new plug wires, new distributor cap, new distributor rotor, etc. Generally items like the crank position sensor, cam sensor (in the distributor) and ignition coil do one of two things: work or don't. I wouldn't suspect one of those things to be the culprit if you determine it's not a fuel sync problem.

12. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

Its got new spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I got all of the old fuel out of the truck and put premium in it, and its still popping. Fuel sync is still between 0 and 1. the only thing left is the coil, which i've ordered but wont be here for a day or two. I keep throwing misfire codes in the 6&8 cyl. and a random misfire code. When I'm accelerating or at a constant speed the check engine light flashes, but when im idling it stays solid. If its not the coil then what else can it be?

13. PowerWagon86

PowerWagon86
    Expand Collapse

Is both sides popping or just one side?

14. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

I don't know, I just know its popping out of my tailpipe.

15. KB440

KB440
    Expand Collapse

How did you set the fuel sync?

16. PowerWagon86

PowerWagon86
    Expand Collapse

See like Ive messed with every god dam thing and still could never find out what it was. Then I start to think, the gas is good because if you have bad gas you will have popping out both tail pipes and my time was fine because I went out and bought a timing gun and checked. I messed with the mixture with the carb. and still nothing. My best guess would be is that mine is popping on the right side. So the best guess i have would be a burn exhaust valve or my valve are going bad what I think, Its a good guess but really if your valve aren't seating it could be making the noise. Anyway i'm going to try to find a 360 motor and take the heads off, get them cleaned up and get them re-machined and get new valves, put them on my 318 and It might be the trick. (My motor is really old to and time for a rebuild anyway.).

17. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

My uncle worked at a chevy dealership and bought one of those fancy diagnostic computers from the snap-on man. He hooks it up and finds the option on the computer and I adjust the distributor until he tells me its at 0. He used the same computer when I put this motor in originally in 2007 to set the fuel sync.

18. KB440

KB440
    Expand Collapse

That should did it. Same thing we used on mine. Check your firing order on your plug wires.

19. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

That should did it. Same thing we used on mine. Check your firing order on your plug wires.
    [/quote]

The firing order is correct. I can't figure out why it only pops under a load. I can sit in park and hold the throttle at 3k and it won't pop or sputter once.

20. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

It could be an injector problem. An injector may be clogged or not operating properly.