1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Gear ratio for Ram with towing package

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Outlaw Ram, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Outlaw Ram

Outlaw Ram
    Expand Collapse

Anyone know what gear ratio was put in Dodges with the towing/camper package from the factory?

2. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

I'm guessing 4:10s.

3. Kyle

Kyle
    Expand Collapse

Whatever the truck was ordered with. Mine came with 3:54's

4. _ZAB_

_ZAB_
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure the towing package included options that did not include a steeper gear, such as tranny cooler and wiring for the bolt on receiver hitch. My truck was manufactured with the towing option, but the gearsets were yet another option.

So just because a truck was manufactured with the "towing package" or "heavy duty service group" doesn't mean it has steep gears.

5. Simms

Simms
    Expand Collapse

When I ordered my truck in 98, I had to order the 3.92's seperate form my tow package. It wasn't included.

I believe 4.10's were only offered in 1500's from the factory in the Offroad package.

6. Outlaw Ram

Outlaw Ram
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info guys.

7. BigGreenMonster

BigGreenMonster
    Expand Collapse

1500's came std with 3.55 with 3.92's as an option. 4.10's were in the off raod only.

2500's came with either 3.55's or 4.10's

8. Outlaw Ram

Outlaw Ram
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I was looking at a Ram with the towing package and wasn't certain if that affected the gear ratio at all. If it had come with 4.10's then i could have slapped on a lift and tires without having to worry about gears for the time being.

9. Clintonium

Clintonium
    Expand Collapse

OK, i'm still new at understanding all this gear talk. So whats the difference between all these gears you guys listed, and what are the advantages and disadvatages for each?

And help is appreciated.

10. Perfect Aggression

Perfect Aggression
    Expand Collapse

This topic should give you a better idea of what gear ratios do.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=7712&forum=11&12

11. BMD

BMD
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure you had to specify you wanted the 4.10's with the tow package and pay extra for it.

12. bigmudr

bigmudr
    Expand Collapse

My Ram 2500 with the towing package came with 4.10's. :bigthumb:

13. BigGreenMonster

BigGreenMonster
    Expand Collapse

the tow package does NOT include the 4.10s tho. it is a seprate option.

ok new person. ring and pinion is a RATIO. 4.10:1 means the drive shaft will turn 4.10 times every time the trie makes 1 complete rotation. SO, the NUMERICLY higher number means the gear is LOWER, or the truck will go slower at the same rpm as a NUMERICLY lower gear. higher the number the more low end power you have or the traller tire you can pull.

14. bigmudr

bigmudr
    Expand Collapse

Maybe not the V-8 with the towing package...the V-10 does offer the 4.10's with the towing/camper package.

15. Tango

Tango
    Expand Collapse

Outlaw ... got a stupid question ... why you asking? You truck has been stolen...

You making plans for your next truck ??

16. Outlaw Ram

Outlaw Ram
    Expand Collapse

Thats exactly right Rollcage. I was looking at a new truck that has the towing package. I wanted to know what gears it has cause I probably only have enough $$$ for lift and tires at first, but I might only be able to afford just the truck. I won't lift the truck if it has 3.55 gears thats for sure. I can find out what it has for gears but I asked just to see if anyone knew for sure.