7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  steved 
#1 ·
never heard of this before:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=117209

#2 ·
On 2007-02-02 16:58, BR wrote:
never heard of this before:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=117209

I told you about this...you have a short memory or you just don't listen to me (which might be a good thing) :rotfl:

Yes, there are two hose barbs on the top of the tank...the front one is the only bad one since it is in a pocket that could fill with water. I used about 10 feet of 1/4" hose, a "T" from the vacuum hose "help" section, and a small engine's fuel filter (1/4" hose barb and really small). I ran the hoses to a tee on passenger side of the tank, then crossed the top of the tank with the single hose, and finally zip tied that hose to the filler pipe. I let enough hose past the zip tie to allow the filter to "hang" down so that it would not get water in it...

I know I told you about this when you were first looking to buy it... :D:

steved

#3 ·
boy i don't remember you saying anything about it. perhaps you were telling me in a dream?????? however, that is not to say that you didn't....i just didn't understand exactly what was the problem. so water can just get into the tank, because there is an open vent on top.......that sounds pretty stupid.

#4 ·
On 2007-02-05 05:25, BR wrote:
boy i don't remember you saying anything about it. perhaps you were telling me in a dream?????? however, that is not to say that you didn't....i just didn't understand exactly what was the problem. so water can just get into the tank, because there is an open vent on top.......that sounds pretty stupid.

See, where the problem is arises from the fact they used a gasser tank for a diesel application. Not that the tank itself wouldn't work, but gassers have a ton of emissions that the CTDs don't have. Those open ports on top are for emissions on the gasser application. IIRC, those ports also contain rollover valves...I believe mine acted open in both directions, but most guys are saying they only work in one direction (under vacuum).

I would, at least, add the couple inches of tubing the TSB adds (they just get the port out where it wouldn't suck in a lot of water). But for under $10, adding the hose, "T", and filter is even better.

steved

#7 ·
all 3rd gens are like this?>

#8 ·
Couldn't you just cap off the extra fitting on top of the tank?
And what :withstupid: said :D:

#9 ·
On 2007-02-08 19:36, GOD RAM IT wrote:
all 3rd gens are like this?>

All third gens are like this. Some have had a TSB performed on them which is nothing more than adding 6" long pieces of hose to the barbs...they are not filtered, they are no use in deep water crossings.

I read of an 07 having open ports just yesterday, after this problem was supposedly addressed.

steved

#11 ·
i went to autozone the other day, they have little plastic or metal fuel filters, that are like $3, they have a T fitting that is 1/8" to 3/8" universal for like $3, 10 ft of hose another $4, problem fixed. i got 1/4" hose though. yep...i think it should be stickied also, pretty big issue in my mind.

#12 ·
My tank has a vent visable in the filler! I would think capping or plugging the "left open" port won't matter.

#14 ·
Just found the same thing on my '07 5.9 CTD...What a bunch of :bs:

Well I'm going to go fix this asap.

Thnnks for potsing the topic.

#15 ·
On 2007-02-09 04:42, steved wrote:

All third gens are like this. Some have had a TSB performed on them which is nothing more than adding 6" long pieces of hose to the barbs...they are not filtered, they are no use in deep water crossings.

I read of an 07 having open ports just yesterday, after this problem was supposedly addressed.

steved

that article said it was for 06's only

#16 ·
On 2007-11-29 18:03, 02Ram6994 wrote:

that article said it was for 06's only

Well it's not I don't know if a few slipped by in the factory or if it had to do with where they were manufactured. But mine is deffinately open...

And this is on my '07 5.9. I wonder if the 6.7's are the same. soem people might want to check.

Gabe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.