1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Fuel gauge not working??? Help - dodge ram.

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Hollister_crusher98, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Hollister_crusher98

Hollister_crusher98
    Expand Collapse

My fuel gauge is acting weird.... it works when it wants to.... and other times it doesnt work at all & my idiot light comes on...

this morning, i drive to my destination, park the truck for a few hours, come back..... no fuel.... hmmm..... so i try again. just key the ignition, fuel needle starts to slowly rise..... i go to start the truck, bam.. fuel needle automatically goes down. went driving some more, stopped working, on my way home, it started working again.... I know I have a half tank in the truck but was showing NOTHING.....

2. bluedragon436

bluedragon436
    Expand Collapse

I have seen similar write ups while researching my future build...and from what most people end up having is an issue with the gauge cluster itself...I would also say check the sending unit on the pump itself....

3. Ramination

Ramination
    Expand Collapse

mine started acting crazy one time, and then the fuel pump went out shortly after. just a thought

4. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

my guess is faulty sending unit. when its about 45 degrees outside, my fuel gauge wont read how much fuel i have in the tank. ive never been able to figure out why. it always pops back to where it was supposed to be....eventually. it works 90 percent of the time so i never tried replacing the sending unit. you could just have a plug loose and its wiggling around somewhere.

5. hickmanfab

hickmanfab
    Expand Collapse

ya mine does the same darn thing. It is either the sending unit or the cluster went bad. I would check the sending unit first...it maybe a SOB but more then likely your problem.

6. Hollister_crusher98

Hollister_crusher98
    Expand Collapse

could this have anything to do with when i turn my truck on, ever so rarely it'll rev up, then almost die? and go down to like 200 rpms, then go back up again????

7. Texas97

Texas97
    Expand Collapse

with your last problem, i would say you could suspect your fuel pump. if im not mistaken isnt the fuel pump and fuel float in the same area and bundle on top of the fuel tank?

8. Bandit

Bandit
    Expand Collapse

Yes it is, there's a rheostat on the sending unit that is controlled by the floater in the tank, pending on how much fuel is in the tank the floater sits in different positions (up or down),and lets so much voltage to your guage, if the rheostat is f*ucked you have to replace the whole unit.

9. bajabomber87

bajabomber87
    Expand Collapse

And now that it seems your pump is starting to take a crap. save some money up :bigthumb:

10. Hollister_crusher98

Hollister_crusher98
    Expand Collapse

how much is a fkin pump now????

just one more damn thing to fix!!!!!!! SOB! Sucks when you buy a truck that has about 100k on it.... everything starts to go out on you!!!!!

11. bajabomber87

bajabomber87
    Expand Collapse

Trust me almost all our dodges do the same thing :rotfl: dont you just love your truck that much more :silly:

12. Hollister_crusher98

Hollister_crusher98
    Expand Collapse

How much is a lot LOL....

And why do they always make it so hard to get to your damn fuel pump anyway!!!!

13. Ramination

Ramination
    Expand Collapse

i think mine was close to $300 with a warrenty. my advice, don't fill up your tank until after your pump is changed. i filled my truck up about 10 minutes before the pump went out :wall: it sucked. :rotfl:

14. Bandit

Bandit
    Expand Collapse

lol, good times eh? changing the pump isnt that bad, took me maybe 2 hours with 12 beers, i picked mine up from dodge for about 165 bones. :D:

15. Hollister_crusher98

Hollister_crusher98
    Expand Collapse

............................ :shock:

Why in the hell would a freaking fuel pump cost 300!!!

I'll oakie rig the damn thing and buy a fish aquarium pump!!!! jesus! 1k on the truck and it hasnt gone towards anyting that will help the performance of the damn thing on the trail.....

LOL... its a dodge conspiracy i tell you!!!!!!!!!!!

Picknpull here i come with a lot of cleaner & service time ahead......

16. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

my local stealership quoted 175 for my '99

17. Hollister_crusher98

Hollister_crusher98
    Expand Collapse

looked online and found them for 260 and 299

well, the other day it did it again, took the gauge forever to go up.......

18. robyone

robyone
    Expand Collapse

I took the bed off when I replaced my fuel pump, 6 bolts and disconnect the tail lights...you'll need a couple extra hands but it beats messing with rusted straps and broken bolts.

19. bajabomber87

bajabomber87
    Expand Collapse

If it were me, I'd take the bed off and save yourself a ton of work dropping the tank, especially if it has any fuel in it. Let me know when you do this Grady, I'll come give ya a hand.