1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Front output shaft seal

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Robert97dodge, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Robert97dodge

Robert97dodge
    Expand Collapse

I was wandering what all has to be done to replace the front output shaft seal on the transfer case in a 01 dodge? I was under there today whenver the truck was on the rack at the muffler shop and noticed that something on the transfer case was leaking. I got to looking and I think that it is comeing from that seal and getting slung all of the transfer case and under the cab. I am gonna try cleaning it all off and see where it start coming from first. Also what kind of fluid is used in these? I used ATF+3 in my 97 when we was at shiloh one time and it worked. Is that what is supposed to be used or shoudl I use a gear oil?

2. JustRamIt

JustRamIt
    Expand Collapse

your leak is either the transfer case input shaft seal or the rear transmission seal. most likely the transmission seal. Its a very common problem with the dodges. You have to remove the transfer case and while you're in there replace both seals. The transfer case takes any kind of ATF. Do not use gear oil. Put ATF+3 or ATF+4 back into the tranny.

3. guidolyons

guidolyons
    Expand Collapse

Before you go ripping the xfer case out to get to the rear tranny/xfer case seal, do a little test run. Check the fluid levels in both the xmsn and the xfer case, depending on how big the leak is it might take awhile to determine. If the level in the tranny stay up and you only loose fluid from the xfer case just do the front seal, but if the xfer case seems to stay full and the tranny level goes down, you got 2 leaks. The good thing is they both use ATF so it's not like the older xfer cases that had problems mixing ATF with gear oil. Keep an eye on the rear output of the xfer case too those are bad for leaking I went through about 6 of them on my NP241 in the ol Chevy.

The front output seal is pretty easy to do though. Just pull the driveshaft and yoke, pull the old seal out and slap the new one in. If it's the seal in the tranny it's a little more involved but not that bad either.

4. JustRamIt

JustRamIt
    Expand Collapse

he's talking about the seals between the transfercase and the transmission. you have to drop the transfercase to access both seals. If he's got a leak, im sure he wants to fix it. while he's in there, might as well replace both seals. I think you got confused with the output shaft seal where the driveshaft goes into the t-case.

5. Robert97dodge

Robert97dodge
    Expand Collapse

The output shaft seal is where the front DS hooks up right? That is what I am talking about.

6. ruffram

ruffram
    Expand Collapse

On my 83 with the NP208, I unbolted the Front DS, removed teh very large nut in the center, tapped the flat yoke thingy off and used a seal puller to removed the old one. Put the new one in a freezer overnight, used a large socket that was the same size and tapped it back in place. Very easy I thought.

7. BIGGER

BIGGER
    Expand Collapse

Seriously dude, if you don't know what you are talking about STFU!

Robert, It is real easy. Or at least it was on mine since the shaft was twisted off. :D:

All you have to do is remove the driveshaft, pull the yoke, and using a seal puller, or a trusty scredriver, pop the old one out and tap the new one in. I would reccommend parking at angle so the passenger side is lower than the drivers, and that will keep alot of the fluid from running out.

8. Robert97dodge

Robert97dodge
    Expand Collapse

Why did you put the new seal in the freezer? The main thing was that I was hoping that I could do it just by pulling the yoke. That makes it alot easier. I didnt want to have to pull the transfer case and pull it apart.

9. JustRamIt

JustRamIt
    Expand Collapse

Since I do know what im talking about, I thought i'd make myself clear. I misunderstood what you were asking robert. sorry if I misled you in the seal situation. There ARE two seals between the t-case and the transmission. Thats what I thought you were talking about. On the other hand since you are talking about the front driveshaft output seal then yes all you have to do is remove the driveshaft and pull the yoke. Ya dont have to put the seal in the freezer though. Just tap it in. :roll:

10. 00DodgeGuy

00DodgeGuy
    Expand Collapse

I am a$$uming he did this so that it would shrink a little and make it easier to tap into place.