1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

first year of cummins diesel?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by bradmo42, Feb 7, 2006.

1. bradmo42

bradmo42
    Expand Collapse

alright i know a guy that wants to sell me his old cummins, exactly how old could it be? i cant remember what he told me but i was just wondering.

the truck is already on 39.5 iroks, which have just been sitting there and then they chopped like 3 feet off the frame and threw a shortbed on it. it has a lot of extras but im just curious about the motor right now.

is it turbo'd if its an early cummins?

im thinkin bout puttin my truck into just daily driving service or vice versa, i need somethin else to drive

2. cummins freak

cummins freak
    Expand Collapse

i think the 1st year of a cummins in a dodge would be '89 and yes it was turbocharged just not intercooled. make shour you check out the trans becasue i know there was no over drive in the auto and the manual i think wasn't anywhere near as strong as the NV4500 in new trucks.

ps. post some pics of that thing on 39's that would be huge :D:

3. doodah

doodah
    Expand Collapse

Cummins freak is right, it was the 89 that first come out with the cummins, it had a turbo, but no intercooler, not until 91, but I think that the 3 speed autos in these were a good tranny. I drove one for 245,000 pulling a livestock trailer befor it needed a new tranny., the thing that kills the autos in our newer 47re is the damn overdrive! :twak:

4. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

The intercooler came out in 91.5...it makes a difference when looking for "that special truck"...I believe this was the first year for the NV4500 and the A518 overdrive auto (early 47RH) as well.

The older (89-91) auto tranny is a 3spd 727, but the rears will be a D61F/D70 (geared 3.08 and not easy to regear!!!). The manual would be a Getrag 5spd, which is a good tranny if taken care of (read: overfilled with fluid and preload on the bearings checked once in a while)...the rears would be a D60F/D70 and either 3.55 or 4.10 ratio. The tcase was a married NP205.

The 91.5-93s were intercooled, had an OD auto or NV4500, D60F/D70 rears, 3.55 or 4.10 ratio, and I believe still a NP205.

94 was the intro of the second gen rams.

IMO, the intercooler doesn't really make that much difference...the 89 my friend had would do everything my father's 95 would, and easier. It definately should not be considered to make or break your decision.

steved

5. mopar

mopar
    Expand Collapse

the 4500 started in 91? i thought it was still a getrag till 94

6. bradmo42

bradmo42
    Expand Collapse

are the axles strong enough to handle big meats? i cant remember if its a auto or man, im going to go see it tomorrow again.

but both sets, will they handle the 39.5s?

7. cummins freak

cummins freak
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: yeah thas what i thought

and as far as the axles holding up you should be fine as long as you dont get the dana 61 i have heard those are the black sheep of the dana family

8. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the axles will handle big meats...both the D60F/D61F are kingpin in these years (as well as internal hub'd like a chevy), just the D61 is much harder to regear...and the D70, did you really have to ask? :D:

The D61 is basically a D60 (in strength) that has been mod'd to use the 3.08 gearing...I believe the "fix" is a 4 or 5 series carrier and ring gear spacer...do a search, it has been done before albeit not much. But, in short, the D61 is equal in strength to a D60 because it uses all the same parts short the modified center section.

The NV4500 was intro'd around the 91.5 change...This was because of the problems the Getrag was causing. The Getrag was only around for about 3 years. The "sweet" first gens to have are the 91.5 to 93 years...NV4500, NP205, D60F, D70, and intercooled (and auto with OD if that is your thing).

The 92 250 CTD I got my D60F from was a NV4500 truck, just FYI...damn I shoulda gotten that D70... :roll:

steved

9. PunisheR

PunisheR
    Expand Collapse

1st gens have great potential to be a fast, and powerfull engine, though strong, they are slower then all {expletive}.. I cant remember but I believe first gens cannot be idled for too long, oil will come spewing out the engine, Very very old post though. Have at her, seen those old daddys go like 500-600k on original engine, trans. -Jordan

10. American

American
    Expand Collapse

Dude, get it. That's the best combo, and is actually what I would like to get after my Ram is paid off. I am lookin' for a 1st gen XC/LB CTD to fix up, and make into a nice a$$ DD/tow-rig.

You have me jealous.

11. bradmo42

bradmo42
    Expand Collapse

im gonna go look at it today again and try to get some pics. sounds like this is the one thats gonna work for what i need it to.

thanks all

12. bradmo42

bradmo42
    Expand Collapse

alright, i looked at it today and its pretty much exaclty what i wanted it to be. its a 93 cummins 4x4 longbed.

he chopped 2 feet out of the middle of the frame behind the cab and a foot off the end. its got a short bed which has been chopped a foot also and a new floor in it.

its got 12" superlift springs and drop shackles on the front and rear springs. he has the parts for cross over steering and they moved the steering gear up so they could do it.

its got 3.55's

its got brand new 39.5/13.5/16 iroks on some american racing wheels i believe.

things i need to do to finish it if i buy it:

lengthen driveshafts

drop the front springs and get rid of the block up there

finish steering (all parts are included)

clean up interior

clean up misc. things under the frame, wires hanging etc.

relocate tank to bed of the truck

new steering shaft (from a 2wd) junk yard

he wants $3500... he paid 2500 and then did all this work to it and bought the tires and rims.

im willing to bet i can get him under 3k, we'll just have to see how the next couple weeks go

13. Ratherbecumminthenstroken

Ratherbecumminthenstroken
    Expand Collapse

:worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

14. bradmo42

bradmo42
    Expand Collapse

I FORGOT I KNOW!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

15. mopar

mopar
    Expand Collapse

i would be all over that

damit why does everyone have to be finding these trucks soo cheep

i cant find a first gen anywhere for under like 4500

16. American

American
    Expand Collapse

Wish I had my Ram paid off!! I'd be behind you in line! :bigthumb:

17. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

steved

18. junkyarddog_88

junkyarddog_88
    Expand Collapse

My first pickup waz a 1989 dodge 250 CTD. I was 14 yrs old and the only thing i did was drive like a bat out of hell. I wrecked it 3 times and she treated me like i was a god. I never had any problems other than the {expletive}ty auto and the outer hubs on the front.