1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Fiberglass to steel

Discussion in 'Body, Bumper, Cage and Flatbed Fab' started by 77jimmy, Nov 15, 2005.

1. 77jimmy

77jimmy
    Expand Collapse

What would be the best yet cost effective way to bond a fiberglass cowl to a steel hood? Id rather not use screws or rivets and smother them in bondo. The local paint guy has body panel adhesive but said the gun is real expensive, then again he never said how much the panel stuff was either. Thanks for any ideas. ~Mark

2. latest project

latest project
    Expand Collapse

there is a 3m adhesive you can buy in tube that is made to bond fiberglass or plastic to steel GM used it to bond the doors together on the 4th gen camaros but i can't remember what it's called i'd try a auto body supply shop or you could always just read all the labels at you local auto parts store :D:

3. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

liquid nail and i aint jokin

4. Jambbii

Jambbii
    Expand Collapse

I have hear luquid nails also. I used fiberglass and resin to bond my scoop on. First I grinded down to bare metal than I cut out a sheet of fiberglass the same size of the lip on both sides of the hood and then used that and resin to bond it to the hood. Then used a couple rivits on both sides. Then a I laid a couple sheets over the lip to smooth it out. I do have a crack in it though after 5 years because someone decided to walk on it :wall:

5. does it matter

does it matter
    Expand Collapse

thats the stuff to use.

my dad would remember, he uses it at the Post Office body shop all the time. (it seems alot of the mail truck vehicles are actually glued together).

if i remember correctly though, he said the stuff isnt cheap.

6. latest project

latest project
    Expand Collapse

that's sounds promising :bigthumb:

7. 77jimmy

77jimmy
    Expand Collapse

Ill try the paint shop again. Ive used liquid nails on a lot of stuff but that sounds a little funny on fiberglass. I think ill try out the liquid nails on a couple scrap pieces but will most likely bond it on with fiberglass like mentioned. Any other ideas would still be helpfull though. ~Mark