1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Fan noise in Durango

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by WIP, Nov 27, 2004.

1. WIP

WIP
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2001 Durango and lately the fan has been making a noise almost like a dry bearing sound. Could it be the oil in the fan? Do I have to replace the fan clutch?

2. 4wDakota

4wDakota
    Expand Collapse

Be sure its coming from the fan, noises typically bounce around and are hard to pinpoint. The weight of the fan usually takes out the water pump bearing. It could also be the idler pulley. Pull the belt off and turn everything and listen/feel for a bad bearing.

3. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: i had an idle pulley go bad on my dakota after about a year. plus if you get one and thats not it you can always clean it up and take it back!!! but you might wanna try a new belt cause when they get old they can make some noise too.

4. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

i had a pulley go bad on mine, the one on the belt for the a/c. it eventually locked up and the belt kept sliding acrossed it and then snapped. but it wasn't very impoertant cuz it was only for a/c and now thats it's winter i am not too concerned