Featured Engine Rebuild - Out with the old, In with the new... again

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech' started by superhawk2002, Oct 4, 2007.

1. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

Truck -- 1996 1 ton 4x4 CTD. 260,xxx miles. New NV4500, SB clutch, SB master/salve cylinder setup. Headgasket went south.

I will probably be doing some major engine work -- I figure the rest of the drivetrain is new, might as well make the motor like new.

Here is what I want: RELIABILITY FIRST!!! Then be able to pull 15 to 17 thousand pounds up hill all day long at 70 mph while not pushing high EGT's :D:. What mods or work should be of first concern? This will probably be an all out build, so I want to get it right the first time. This will never never never be a sled pulling truck -- just a super daily driver with lots of ability.

Currently looking at a moderate to major motor rebuild with a new turbo, ATS exhaust manifold, keeping 100 horse injectors, 4GSK, and fire-ringing it. Again -- RELIABILITY is my goal, not horsepower. I do not want to upgrade SB clutch. What turbo should I look for, what head studs to use, any complete motor rebuild kits, other things to consider, etc? Thanks for any input.

2. FireRescue

FireRescue New Member

A single turbo will probably not meet your towing requirements. A small set of towing twins will :D:

If you are looking for the ultimate DD and towing rig a small set of twins is the way to go IMO

3. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

I am afraid that may be a bit out my price range tho. While I would love a set of twins, I just don't think I can swing that kind of cash on the truck.

4. FireRescue

FireRescue New Member

If you have the fabrication ability a decent set of functional towing twins are really not that expensive. They could be built for less than what they are getting for some of these extremely high priced singles.

Or maybe shop used? I just seen a set of PDR towing twins for $2500.

5. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

Any other thoughts on what to look for in the rebuild? Any parts/kits that are the best to go with? Anything?

:D:

6. RamAford

RamAford Well-Known Member

Not sure how much power you are wanting, but i think if you keep your fuel mods to a minimum, you should be alot more reliable. Just keep plenty of air going to the motor. im thinking maybe something like a small HTB2 would be fine for you. Wish i had to cash to go bigger, as i think the one on my truck would work well for you. It keeps the EGT's well under 1200 on most long pulls around the mtns here. You just have to keep the RPM's up and dont lug it to much.

7. doodah

doodah New Member

Jeff, Honestly, I thought you were done going to Scheid's with your work??

8. Mud Ready

Mud Ready New Member

I thought is was Haisley he had problems with?

9. doodah

doodah New Member

Well, thats what I was wondering, it was 1 or the other...... cant remember!lol

10. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

It was Haisley that I had issues with. Scheid knows Haisley well tho and somehow knew I normally took my trucks there. Both companies actually help each other out with parts and such, but I just cant see giving Haisley any more money. If I could simply have gotten a phone call back and some simple answers from HM, I would have never even called Scheid's.

11. BossHawg600

BossHawg600 New Member

I auctually passed ya on 65 the other day! Any ways Scheids isnt much better. The treated me like crap and I def. wasnt happy with them at all. Then after all they they tried to sue me because I said I didnt like them! What a bunch of crap.

But i would say if that truck is going to be towing the beast a lot a twins set up would be well worth it. You dont have to go all out and get a 150 psi set up but a simply hx-35?HT3B set up would be nice. Remember that truck is yanking a lot of weight (10000 for it self and god only knows for he trailer and the other truck)

As for other mads a simple set of injectors would help out (370's might be a little too much) To tell ya the truth I would put on some air bags in the rear to smooth put the ride a bit.

12. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

Well, thats not good to hear... Any other worthwhile places in the Indianapolis area? I kind of want to keep it in-state if possible. Maybe I should call Haisley and just tell them how I feel about the previous business with them and see what they say...

The truck is going to Scheid's tomorrow, so I need to figure this out very quickly.

13. doodah

doodah New Member

Jeff, just come to Iowa, Ill mess with your engine a little bit, then I will :kicknuts: :kicknuts: and send your azz back home, and I wont charge you a 1/4th of what they will!! and the engine might still be abetter build!lol :flipoff:

14. doodah

doodah New Member

oh, and a good set of towing twins would be a wise selection........

15. RamAford

He doesnt want twins people :roll: :loser:

Go with some mild injectors and maybe a little pump work. of course i would say go with a turbo similar to mine. you can always upgrade anytime too.

ive been towing a bunch with mine, and it really helps. I know im comparing 24V to 12V but its still similar.

16. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

I already have injectors and some pump work done, KDP is done, and it has a 4 GSK with 60lb exhaust springs and titanium retainers. I just need more air.

I would go with a set of twins if I could find them prices decently. Its the fact twins I have seen are running 4G and up just for the parts.

17. RamAford

i couldnt remember exactly what was done to the green truck. but i think a HTB2 64/12cm would be about right for ya. you want a 12 cm to help with low end power. the 14 cm will help ya more on the topend. that should be about right for fuel amount.

thats the turbo i need to be running, but cant afford to upgrade. :wall:

18. FireRescue

FireRescue New Member

It is hard to compare a the same turbo on a 12v truck and a 24v truck. The respond very differently to turbos and the 24v run much cooler.

A 62/12 will not move enough air for his towing requirements. Don't get me wrong it is a nice towing turbo but he has some pretty steep requirements.

Personally I do not think there is a single turbo that will meet the towing requirements unless you want to downshift and really twist the R's out of the engine.

And even when the perfect turbo(s) is found to meet these requirements engine temp might start to be an issues on long grades.

If you are determined to try and make the single turbo work then I would definitely put a cam in the truck (I would probably put on in either way). An aftermarket IC would help also but if you start spending too much extra money you might be better off saving a little more and wait for a set of twins.

19. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

So -- a cam should be a priority? I will look into a set of twins. It just seems when you start making drastic mods there are always more troubles in the future. The more I stay towards stock, for some reason the better I feel. A set of twins seems drastic to me.

I need to do some research and keep reading, especially on DTR and other sites. I simply want a very strong reliable motor capable of pulling my truck, zipping along the highway, and lasting another 300,000 miles. Maybe a good shop that could do all this would be nice too.

Doodah -- driving it to you is sounding better by the minute. Got any vacation time? :D:

20. superhawk2002

superhawk2002 New Member

Well, I may be taking it elsewhere now. Someone mentioned this place -- http://www.dieselperformancesolutions.com/ --

I talked on the phone with them for about 30 minutes today and am taking my truck over there tomorrow to discuss total options and a final price. But as of right now, I am looking at a new set of BD twins and all the goodies that come with it. They have laso offered to pull the motor and completely rebuild it with a new type of head gasket -- some sort of composite that is an alternative to fire ringing it. I will get more details and post up.

Here is a price breakdown of what they may do:

Motor pull and install - 680

Rebuild head and install new gasket - 2000

Rebuild motor - somewhere in the 1000 range

BD twin setup - 3600

Misc - 500

TOTAL - basically 8000. This would be the max for the best. Included is a new cam, new seals, new bearings, blah blah blah. They mentioned that all this isn't probably needed, but would make for the best motor (esp since I have wierd oil leaks all throughout). This is more than I paid for the entire truck and makes me think selling it and buying a newer one would be wiser. I will be getting close to 18000 total now in the truck if I were to go this route. Granted it has tons of new parts in it, but damn expensive for one hell of a motor.

They also mentioned you could get an aftermarket head ready to slap right on for around 585 -- they will rebuild my current head for 400 (included in the price above). Anyone know who makes aftermarket heads for our trucks. I am leaning away from anything aftermarket when it comes to something like this. Probably says made in China on the side. :roll:

Thoughts?