1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

electronic sway bar disconnect

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Lance, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Lance

Lance
    Expand Collapse

has anyone seen the electronic sway bar disconnect on the 05 power wagon or whatever it is in the 4 wheeler mag? I wonder how much they cost from the dealer, I want two of them!

2. redrider808

redrider808
    Expand Collapse

i have it's in the new fourwheeler.

what it looks like is a box that the sway bar goes through. i think it works like our C.A.D does.

.......[]

sw[ay]bar

.......[]

looks something like that .

sorry the best i can come up with

3. Budgreen

Budgreen
    Expand Collapse

wonder how well it works after going underwater or being caked with mud...

4. Lance

Lance
    Expand Collapse

there is only one way to find out.

5. SalvagExpert

SalvagExpert
    Expand Collapse

seriously now... do you really need more electronic crap over complicating things

just another thing to go wrong...

its not that hard to get out and pull a damn pin out of the sway bar.

there really disgracing the power wagon name :roll:

keep it simple stupid...

6. Lance

Lance
    Expand Collapse

actually the short time I had my quick discos on my truck I could never get them off without beating the hell out of them with a hammer. they would rust up right away.

7. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

I agree with salvage. K.I.S.S. method. I'll check around on that box. The owner of the dodge dealership here said he had a picture of it in a brochure.

8. Archer

Archer
    Expand Collapse

OMG, what a lazy man's useless option....

9. AggiePSD

AggiePSD
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it's vacuum operated. :rotfl:

10. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

How hard are the swaybar disconnect pins to pull out anyways? One more glorified chrysler part that will be replaced with a mechanical setup anyways.

11. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

While I would never have thought of putting this on my truck on my own, I think it's a cool option.

If we used you guys' logic to "Keep it Simple" on everything, where would we be? There has to be SOME improvement in everything or we would be working on our trucks with rocks and bamboo poles for tools. Sure, that would be more simple, but I REALLY like my ratcheting wrenches.

And if a push button sway bar is so bad, what about selectable lockers? Push button radios? Remember how crappy it was to have to dial in a radio, you could never get it "just right." Selectable lockers are awesome, I mean yeah it's a lot of fun to jump out in the mud and dig down to lock your hubs up front but seriously, I hit two buttons and I'm locked.

Just don't be so close minded, technology is not the end of the world. I agree that some things are better off simplified but not everything. So a guy wants to hit a button and disconnect his sway bar, that's cool, I really like using my remote control Browning spotlight instead of using a handheld. New products are goooooood...

12. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

It's a case by case basis. I don't need one, but that doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. I just see it as improving on an already good thing. How hard was it to pull pins and disconnect the bar? I've really never heard of anyone having problems with them, but that doesn't mean there isn't a few. I do agree with your comment about the lockers, though. And tools. But being Chrysler, if something was to go wrong with it, they would charge and arm and a leg because they can. This is definetly a one-off job. Not an autozone trip away. Just seems like something more complicated than it needs to be.

13. SalvagExpert

SalvagExpert
    Expand Collapse

in my opinion advancements in truck technology stopped moving foward around the late 70's

went into a stand still for a short while... then just went completely a$$ backwards and now the only advancements are for on road comfort and style...

example... dodge, held onto the solid front axle longer than anyone

now whats underneath the new 1500 4x4's... IFS WITH GOD DAMN TORSION BARS

14. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

My gripe about sway bar disconnects and even just undoing the links yourself is that if you aren't parked on a level surface, good luck getting the sway bar hooked back up, especially if you are by yourself. With this design they have, a single person could engage the sway bar without even getting out of the vehicle! I have to find a level spot on the road, park, put one side on (and normally my tires are covered in mud so I get that all over my shirt), then run over to the other side and tug and pull and finally hit and kick it into place so the pin will go through. Then I have to find a rock to put the wing nuts on tight enough so they don't loosen up 10 miles down the road and come off.

No it's not hard, it's just more work. That is what technology is all about, making $hit easier for us. I am a fan of simplicity too; isn't it much more simple to hit a button and bypass all of that crap I just said I have to do?

I see what you guys are saying though about if it quits working, you are up $hit creek without a paddle. But doesn't Dodge offer a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty on all new stuff? You can get a lot of use out of stuff before you hit 70,000 miles. If it doesn't break by then, it might only go out one time and at that time you can decide if you want to replace or just pull the whole thing off (since it is a 3/4 ton truck). And by the time 70,000 miles rolls around, surely we will have had enough people on here break them that we can tell you how to fix it yourself. :D: It'll be okay guys...

15. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Are you talking about using it on our "older" dodge trucks? Dodge won't warranty this for us. If they started putting it on the new trucks and backing it with that warranty, cool. :D: But I'm weary of new un-tested technology. I haven't read anywhere of anyone testing it out. It seems like if this was such a great invention, an aftermarket company would've taken notice to it. Who knows. Maybe they will after this hits the dealers floors.

16. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

Well I was referring to the new trucks but I know if you buy parts direct from the dealership then they offer a warranty on them, or maybe it's if they install them, anyway the same warranty applies one way or another.

17. SalvagExpert

SalvagExpert
    Expand Collapse

dodge doesnt honor there warantees 40 miles back on a trail in the middle of no where.... :bigthumb:

ill stick with my simple outdated unsafisticated crude trucks... cause they always bring me home, and there aint nothing i cant fix on them.

18. Jtwilliams

Jtwilliams
    Expand Collapse

hey they fixed my transmisson when i had water over the hood of my truck under the warranty! :D:

19. djgaston

djgaston
    Expand Collapse

That's cool, I mean I'm not dogging on you or anybody for not liking these things.

BUT, :D: if this sway bar disconnect DID break out on the trail, what is the worst thing that would happen? You wouldn't be able to engage it on the road. Well the Power Wagon is a 3/4 ton truck anyway so it has stiff enough springs that you are still going to be able to drive the speed limit and get where you need to go.

My question is what is the dealership going to say when somebody shows up in a Power Wagon and has broken a locker or something playing off road? Will they honor the warranty or will they say it was abused? The dealership here tried to void my warranty when I put 35's on because they said that was larger than their computer said my truck could have on there and would wear everything out faster than expected. I told them to kiss my a$$ and was able to hold on to the warranty but it does raise the question of how good will the warranty be on the Power Wagon and it's cool toys? It's obviously marketed as an off road vehicle, so if I snap an axle playing off road with stock tires on there, what happens?

20. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Aha! I did a picture of what I think it looks like. Definetly picasso's work! :rotfl: Anyways, here it is:

[img=250x187]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/389000-389999/389540_33.jpg[/img]

The green arrow shows it unlocked. The red one shows it locked. Pretty simple. Don't know how you'd actuate it. Vaccum? Electric solenoid? It's in the middle of the swaybar in case anyone was wondering. This would allow each side to move independently, I think. Unless they have two disconnects, one on each side where the bar bolts to the axle.