Dodge Ram Steering Gear Leak Fix Kit

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by rgunn1, Oct 16, 2007.

1. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Dodge-Ram-Steering-Gear-Pitman-Seal-Leak-Repair-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33589QQihZ008QQitemZ180168301827QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Has anybody seen this? My steering gear is leaking and I was considering replacing the box when I ran across this fix it kit. My buddy at the dodge dealership can't seem to find anything in his computer. Does anybody have a part number? This would be significantly cheaper than replacing the box.

Thanks,

R

2. SlimMan

SlimMan
    Expand Collapse

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringbox.php

My local Napa has the kit as well.

3. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

great scott! i didnt know there was a kit for that. one more thing for the christmas wishlist! :bigthumb:

4. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the link to the rebuild thread. That's really something I hadn't even considered looking into.

5. hieneken49

hieneken49
    Expand Collapse

they work good if ur box isnt messed up. i fixed my old one a few times with a shaft kit but eventually it would leak after about a week anyway. too much play in the shaft.

6. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

i need to find a set of bearings to replace as well in my spare box. i can find the seal kit, but not the bearing set.

7. hieneken49

hieneken49
    Expand Collapse

ive never seen a bearing kit.

8. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

Does anybody know where I can find a schematic of the gearbox? I may try and just find the part number for the bearing and see if the stealer has one.

9. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

here a some links i am planning on referring to

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/tech/Hydro_info/DIY_saginawrebuild.htm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570869&highlight=saginaw+rebuild

10. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

Weird. The guy who did the write up in that second link is from Baton Rouge. I wonder who that is?

11. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

My buddy at the local dodge dealership said he could get the needle bearing, but I didn't think to get the part number for it. My truck is pretty much trail only, and I just need to stop the leak so I'm not having to constantly add fluid to it, so I don't think I'm going to replace the bearing... mainly because it's 3-5 days out, special order, and I want to get this done this weekend.

The worst part of the whole thing... I'm going to have to clean my garage so I can get to my work bench, and then I'm going to have to practically rebuild my workbench so I don't rip the top off of the workbench when I'm using the vice.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

12. MR. DODGE

MR. DODGE
    Expand Collapse

i can tell you that it's not fun to put this kit in. i have just redone mine and i had no luck. it's better to just get a different box. i know saving money is what it's about, but the hassle of doing an overhaul on the box is pretty much a waste of time. so i would just get another box from the local salvage yard.

13. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

I'm not too worried about it.