1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Dodge Ram Steering Gear Leak Fix Kit

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by rgunn1, Oct 16, 2007.

1. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Dodge-Ram-Steering-Gear-Pitman-Seal-Leak-Repair-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33589QQihZ008QQitemZ180168301827QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Has anybody seen this? My steering gear is leaking and I was considering replacing the box when I ran across this fix it kit. My buddy at the dodge dealership can't seem to find anything in his computer. Does anybody have a part number? This would be significantly cheaper than replacing the box.

Thanks,

R

2. SlimMan

SlimMan
    Expand Collapse

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/steeringbox.php

My local Napa has the kit as well.

3. virginiaram

virginiaram
    Expand Collapse

great scott! i didnt know there was a kit for that. one more thing for the christmas wishlist! :bigthumb:

4. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the link to the rebuild thread. That's really something I hadn't even considered looking into.

5. hieneken49

hieneken49
    Expand Collapse

they work good if ur box isnt messed up. i fixed my old one a few times with a shaft kit but eventually it would leak after about a week anyway. too much play in the shaft.

6. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

i need to find a set of bearings to replace as well in my spare box. i can find the seal kit, but not the bearing set.

7. hieneken49

hieneken49
    Expand Collapse

ive never seen a bearing kit.

8. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

Does anybody know where I can find a schematic of the gearbox? I may try and just find the part number for the bearing and see if the stealer has one.

9. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

here a some links i am planning on referring to

http://www.wheelingarizona.com/tech/Hydro_info/DIY_saginawrebuild.htm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570869&highlight=saginaw+rebuild

10. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

Weird. The guy who did the write up in that second link is from Baton Rouge. I wonder who that is?

11. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

My buddy at the local dodge dealership said he could get the needle bearing, but I didn't think to get the part number for it. My truck is pretty much trail only, and I just need to stop the leak so I'm not having to constantly add fluid to it, so I don't think I'm going to replace the bearing... mainly because it's 3-5 days out, special order, and I want to get this done this weekend.

The worst part of the whole thing... I'm going to have to clean my garage so I can get to my work bench, and then I'm going to have to practically rebuild my workbench so I don't rip the top off of the workbench when I'm using the vice.

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

12. MR. DODGE

MR. DODGE
    Expand Collapse

i can tell you that it's not fun to put this kit in. i have just redone mine and i had no luck. it's better to just get a different box. i know saving money is what it's about, but the hassle of doing an overhaul on the box is pretty much a waste of time. so i would just get another box from the local salvage yard.

13. rgunn1

rgunn1
    Expand Collapse

I'm not too worried about it.