1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Detriot truetrac vs detriot locker

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by stephen478, Apr 5, 2010.

1. stephen478

stephen478
    Expand Collapse

Iv got an open diff in my 01 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and it sucks. I got stuck trying to jump the curb in my front yard . So far Iv went from thinking of getting a lock right-detriot truetrac-to now thinking about a detroit locker. I plan on my truck mostly staying on the pavement but it will occasionally go find some mud. Im leaning toward the truetrac because it will behave the best on the street but Iv read that if one wheel gets off the ground or gets in some slick mud it will just sit and spin like an open. So now Im thinking about a detriot locker because Iv read that their bullet proof and last a long time. I can install either of them so Im not worried about the cost of install or anything and I dont care about the noise around turns or the occasional bang.
    Opinions?

2. HILMAN76

HILMAN76
    Expand Collapse

Iv got an open diff in my 01 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and it sucks. I got stuck trying to jump the curb in my front yard

The same crap happened to me more times than Id like to remember:dodgy: I'm mostly a pavement pounder, so i went with a truetrac. I just had it installed on Friday, so I haven't had a chance to really try it out. I plan on the 500 mile break in process since I added my gears at the same time.Then Ill change the gear oil and test the ole' SOB out :D :cool: The truetrac and the 4.56 gear combo is super quiet back there, I'm happy with the setup.

I was going to install the Detroit Locker but thought it was over kill for my needs, so that's why I went with the Truetrac.

Read up on the Truetrac on the search button and check out how folks are manipulating the breaks to hook the spinning tire while its in the air, or when just one tire wants to spin. I live in Miami, so I wont be doing any rock crawling in the future, actually ever :tongue:

Check out PORC (performance off road center) for the Detroit Truetrac or Locker, they have the best prices on the web.:bigthumb::cool:

My Rig: 97 Ram 1500 4x4, 3" coils with AA leafs for a 3" lift. 4.56 gears front and back. Truetrac in rear. 305/75 R16 Super Swamper SSR's.

3. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I'd prefer it if you would not link to a bunch of other sites. There is plenty of info on this site to answer the OP's question. No need to drive the OP to another site with no info (several of your links are useless to the OP) and take traffic and resources from PS.com. A couple useful links are tolerable, but not a big list like that

4. mgrady

mgrady
    Expand Collapse

I've had the Detroit Truetrac in my Ram for 2yrs since I had the 4:10's installed and have dah no problems at all. I can feel it kick in when taking off it rain. It's nice to know I can just take off and not spin.

Mark

5. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

I have had a Detroit with 4.56's for 6-7 years now and its all working fine still in my 1500 with 37's.

With the long wheelbase of a truck its not as harsh as in a Jeep or something short like that. If you are worried about driving on the pavement, its no big deal, just learn to let off the gas in a corner or tight turn and get back on it a bit after the apex. Highway driving nothing changed.

6. HILMAN76

HILMAN76
    Expand Collapse

Sorry bout that :sorry: I cleared the links. :cool: