1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

dana 24 vs np205

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by mjp1080, Oct 18, 2004.

1. mjp1080

mjp1080
    Expand Collapse

Have a new project, 89 chev 1/2 ton 2wd turning into 4wd. Need your opinions on the divorced dana 24, strength?, ratio?, parts availability?..... I found one cheap and want to know how you think it will hold up to 300+ hp and 40" tires versus say an np205. any help appreciated, thanks

2. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

FORD/DANA MODEL 24

Type: two-speed, divorce mounted

Used by: 1969-73 F-250s.

Sounds beefy...Is it chain or gear?

:baby:

3. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

It's Gear-driven, cast-iron just like the 205.... I can't find the ratio's for the d24.... :baby:

4. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

I saw one of those once on a '73 F250 with a closed knuckle, drum braked Dana 44 up front. I took the rear dana 60 since someone else already removed it to get the springs. I had no clue what type of t-case it was. I looked under there and said no way am I evening going to ask anyone cuz there probably ain't a sole that knows what the hell that is. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. They have a 1.86 gear range as best I can remember. But it was awhile back when I had tried to research the dang thing. :silly:

5. mjp1080

mjp1080
    Expand Collapse

thanks guys, that ratio is pretty close to the 205(1.96) so I think I'll go with it, I just hope it will handle the tires and 5.13 gears.

6. Chris

Chris
    Expand Collapse

Answering your own questions now Joe? They have doctors for that you know... :poke:

jk

As far as the case goes, the 205 is a very stout case and I think would be plenty strong for your application IMO.

ok, I didnt read thoroughly...you said you found a good deal on the other one...sounds good enough.

7. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

I would be concerned about the input/output sizes...they (ford) skimped on the input/output sizes of the NP205 even. The dodge divorced 205 would be the better (more common) version with larger inputs/outputs...this is only comparing it to other 205s.

I don't know about the 24, are parts readily availible??

steved