1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

d44 open or closed knuckle

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by jactoy4x4, Feb 25, 2005.

1. jactoy4x4

jactoy4x4
    Expand Collapse

I ve searched everywherew and i wanna know if the d44 hd out of a jeep is stronger than a closed knuckle d44 out of a ford..........both are 3/4 ton

I would like to what the strenghts and weaknesses of both are

2. Lee

Lee
    Expand Collapse

The open knuckle is stronger, highly doubt you found a 3/4 ton open knuckle jeep dana 44 though, I have only ever seen closed knuckle ones, all of the open knuckles ones have been half ton

the ford front axle will have 260x joints (same size as a dana 30)

the jeep will have 297x joints

The advantage of the open knuckle is it allows a tighter turning radius and it is easier to maintain. The closed structure of the closed knuckle limits its ability to swivel. It also is a bit harder to maintain since the knuckle must be sealed. Closed knuckle axle shaft joints either run in gear lube or in grease in the knuckle, and the lubricant tends to leak out of the knuckle. The open knuckle axles used a u- joint.

3. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

Well, the later jeep trucks did have open knuckle D44HDs. The open knuckles have more parts available. They use more common balljoints. Standard ujoints in the knuckles, and will most likely have 30 spline inner shafts.

The closed knuckle has kingpins (stronger) but might have tracta-joints. The joints are enclosed. Parts are harder to find.

steved

4. thecountrykid

thecountrykid
    Expand Collapse

It is my Dana 44 he is asking about

It is a D44 HD out of a 1975 J20

Open nuckle disc, flat tops, 4:10 gears, Warn Premium hubs

[img=448x336]http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/attachments/200501/attachment-696481.jpg[/img]

5. thecountrykid

thecountrykid
    Expand Collapse

doesn't the HD have a thicker axle tube than a Non HD axle, and what about the U-joint? I read that the HD had a 297X? Is this true>?

6. Lee

Lee
    Expand Collapse

Is that a 6 lug or 8 lug axle?

7. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse

Nearly all D44s have the commonly known as 297x u joint except early ones had the 260x.

The old 5-297x is supersceeded to 5-760x now.

8. thecountrykid

thecountrykid
    Expand Collapse

8 Lug

9. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

Yes, your axle will have 1/2 inch thick tubes, but as Madd Ramm and I have discussed, chances are you would crack the center housing before you bent either a heavy wall or standard walled D44.

I forgot to add, the closed knuckle axles will most likely have a 16 spline axle...not the more common 30-spline. If you were to combine a D44 closed knuckle with more modern parts, you could potentially have a very good axle...no balljoints.

steved

10. thecountrykid

thecountrykid
    Expand Collapse

But how much would that run? and how much work to convert it to the Disc?

11. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

Closed knuckle housings just aren't worth it. They ware weak in the inner knuckle. Plus the maintainance and parts availability make it cumbersome. So stick with open knuckles.

12. jactoy4x4

jactoy4x4
    Expand Collapse

all i want to know is like load ratings and torque capabilities b4 the shafts break and the diameters and stuff...u guys have been very helpful though. thanks

13. Lee

Lee
    Expand Collapse

open knuckle dana 44 has a tourque rating of 6248 ft lbs

dana 30 (which is comparable in strength to your closed knuckle 44) has a tourque rating of 4244 ft lbs

14. jactoy4x4

jactoy4x4
    Expand Collapse

so if u coul run a closed knuckle or open knuckle wich would u guys run

15. Lee

Lee
    Expand Collapse

Open knuckle no doubt, as far as I am concerned that closed knuckle axle is good for nothing but a boat anchor, your toyota axle was stonger than that closed knuckle garbage

16. jactoy4x4

jactoy4x4
    Expand Collapse

cool thanks for the info

17. Burglar

Burglar
    Expand Collapse

a little FYI, that closed knuckle d44 is WEAKER than your stock yota front end.

18. jactoy4x4

jactoy4x4
    Expand Collapse

yeah i know but i hate birfields.. and i cant run a yota front with that 390 power :shoot: plus it just looks stupid with a skinny frontend and a huge d60 out back :flipoff:

are there any weak points to james d44hd axel??

19. Burglar

Burglar
    Expand Collapse

a james axle?

20. thecountrykid

thecountrykid
    Expand Collapse

[img=448x336]http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/attachments/200501/attachment-696481.jpg[/img]

MY front axle