changing power steering pump on a s10

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by GeorgesBlazah, Nov 17, 2003.

1. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

anyone ever done this? i looked at it and it looks like i gotta take off the pulley then get the pump off not sure. anyone got any tips or can shed some light on this for me?

2. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4
    Expand Collapse

You asked! eheh

Power Steering Pump Replacement 4.3L

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 25034-C Power Steering Pump Pulley Remover

Remove the upper fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement in Engine Cooling.

Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Mechanical 4.3L.

Remove the fan clutch from the water pump. Refer to Fan Clutch Replacement in Engine Cooling.

Install J 25034-C to the power steering pump pulley. Ensure that the pilot bottoms in the pump shaft by turning the nut to the top of the pilot bolt.

Hold the pilot bolt.

Turn the nut clockwise.

Remove the power steering pump pulley.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Remove steering linkage shield. Refer to Steering Linkage Shield Replacement in Steering Linkage.

Place a drain pan below the pump.

Disconnect the power steering inlet hose from the power steering pump.

Lower the vehicle.

Disconnect the power steering outlet hose from the power steering pump.

Cap the power steering pump hoses.

Remove the filler neck tube.

Remove the power steering rear bracket nut from the engine stud.

Remove the power steering lower retaining nut from the engine stud.

Remove the power steering pump front mounting bolts.

Remove the power steering pump.

Installation Procedure

Tools Required

J 25033-C Power Steering Pump Pulley Installer

Install the power steering pump.

Install the power steering pump front mounting bolts.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the power steering pump front mounting bolts. Tighten

Tighten the power steering pump front mounting bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

Install the rear bracket nut to the engine stud.

Install the power steering pump lower retaining nut to engine stud. Tighten

Tighten the power steering rear bracket nut and the lower retaining nut to 41 N·m (31 lb ft).

Install the filler neck tube. Tighten

Tighten the neck tube bolt to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Connect the power steering outlet hose to the power steering pump.

Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Connect the power steering inlet hose to the power steering pump.

Install steering linkage shield. Refer to Steering Linkage Shield Replacement in Steering Linkage.

Lower the vehicle.

Place the power steering pump pulley on the end of the power steering pump shaft.

Install J 25033-C . Ensure that the pilot bolt bottoms in the shaft by turning the nut to the top of the pilot bolt.

Hold the pilot bolt.

Turn the nut counterclockwise.

Install the power steering pump pulley.

Install the pulley (1) flush against the end of the power steering pump shaft (2), with an allowable variance of 0.25 mm (0.010 in).

Remove the fan clutch from the water pump. Refer to Fan Clutch Replacement in Engine Cooling.

Install the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement in Engine Mechanical 4.3L.

Remove the upper fan shroud. Refer to Fan Shroud Replacement in Engine Cooling.

Fill the power steering system.

Bleed the system. Refer to Bleeding the Power Steering System .

Inspect the hoses for clearance.

3. mopar

mopar
    Expand Collapse

i had the shop do mine :baby:

4. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

why do i have to lift and lower the vehicle?

5. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4
    Expand Collapse

Steering Linkage Shield Replacement

Removal Procedure

Raise and suitably support the vehicle with safety stands. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Remove the bolts and the washers.

Remove the steering linkage shield a$$embly.

Installation Procedure

Install the steering linkage shield a$$embly.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the bolts and the washers. Tighten

Tighten the bolts to 32 N·m (24 lb ft).

Lower the vehicle.

6. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

well i got a used pump from a rolled blazer, am i gonna need the fangled fasteners its talking about? or can i use my old ones?

7. Hoss4x4

Hoss4x4
    Expand Collapse

just use your orginal bolts you will be fine!

hoped that all helped bro!

8. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

yeah man it did THANKS! just gotta read over it a few times be4 i do it

9. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

god dmanit this is such a bitch, im back in complaingin ill probably go back out and do it some more

10. Jou

Jou
    Expand Collapse

just curious, but why are you replacing it? When i did mine i had to get the brakets(which were bent and caused the problems) too. just a thought. wouldn't want to have to do it twice, it sucks.

11. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

well on saterday my pwoer steering took a {expletive} and i didnt have it anymore. i knew the pump was going, just a matter of time. truck still isnt done. i coundlt rent a PS pulley puller anywhere so i had to buy one :cuss: but it should be done tomrmow sometime,. its been 3 days without my truck im oging thro truck withdraw :bluecry:

12. Jou

Jou
    Expand Collapse

withdrawl, after only 3 days, it's been months for me.

13. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

damn months.i can only imagine the pain your feeling :sorry:

14. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

{expletive}in hell this project has been ntohign but trouble. couldnt rent a {expletive}in power steering pully puller anywhere and i didnt feel like waiting for somoen to return it so i bought a kit, 65 bucks.....no biggie as long as the job gets done. getting to this god damn thing is such a bitch...gotta pull the rad, get the ac compressor off its bracket, remove some otehr bracket from on top of the pully, pull the fan, pull fan shroud take off skidplate :wall: :wall: after that mess finally gettin the pully off and getting the new pump in. puttin the pully on the {expletive}in tool strips the thread on one the main bolt thing(dont know what its called) no prob the pully is on. then i put some fluid in and start the truck, bleed the system, let it warm up, filled it to specs and i go for a drive while im driving i feel that im lsoing power steering again :cuss: :cuss: :shoot: i get back home and look one of th fittings are leaking and i cant get back there to tighten it cause theres no room. now i gotta go buy antoher {expletive}in kit cause no one has one that i can rent yet.i bought teh last kit and the next kit wont be coming in till wendsday :kicknuts: so now i am carless for a few more days. i dont think ill be able to work on it till thursday or friday. :fu: i just want my truck back :driving: :bluecry: is that too much to ask for :baby: :wall:

15. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

i dont knwo if that made any sense but my fingers are numb and im mad :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :twak: :twak: :fu: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :sniper:

16. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

im going to burn my truck to the ground.....anyone thats done this, did you replace the power steering lines as well?

17. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

FINALLY SHES DONE! 3 WEEKS LATER!

18. cj ford

cj ford
    Expand Collapse

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: see patience grasshopper ....it works out in the end :D:

19. K5Chris

K5Chris
    Expand Collapse

oh shieat! 3 weeks? your truck was down for that long? that shouldn't have taken more than a couple of hours.... oh well... shieat happens.

20. GeorgesBlazah

GeorgesBlazah
    Expand Collapse

yeah between getting the wrong parts, waiting for parts to come in, pully pullers breaking, working on it between school and work and tryin to find out where it was leaking from.......it was a BITCH