1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

CB Radio

Discussion in 'All Other Tech' started by ToddT, Nov 10, 2003.

1. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

I had a Cobra 19DXIII until it got ripped off. I was planning on buying the same one but the range on it was not great at all...at least when talking with my friends on their cb's. So my question is, what is out there that can extend range? I have heard about using a range testing meter on the antennas so you can trim them to the length you get the most accurate range readings... anyway, what else is there? some web links would be nice. :bigthumb:

2. DeerHunter

DeerHunter
    Expand Collapse

cobras are weak radios.....galaxy will put out a little more power because there are more mods available

3. WMIF

WMIF
    Expand Collapse

http://cbradiousa.com/

i had this shop tweak and peak my cobra. they also have a special on uniden 520's t&p for $65. its a small radio with only the basics.

4. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

I don't know, but the general consensus among truck drivers is that Galaxy's suck...everytime I'm out at least one driver states that. I don't know, cause I don't own one. I have a mod'd Cobra 29...it talks about 35 miles on a clear night.

I think you could get almost any radio (for around $100) and have it talk decent if you have it peaked and tuned...but the antenna is the key to transmit range...the better the quality the better the range.

If you are trying to hang with guys with "big" radios like rangers, galaxy's, and conex then you need a radio equal to them. I get complemented all the time for mine...and a guy was selling the identical radio to mine for $100...it was at a radio shop...so check a shop first and get their opinions. And don't rule out buying a used radio at a shop either.

steve

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker
    Expand Collapse

i got a $99 radio crap back in 1990.... everyone told me that it is junk and will be broken in 2 weeks.. i told them i had a warranty..... so i have had it and still do.. but i thought it was recently broken.... so i was gonna get it fixed. I showed it to a guy.. his eyes lit up and he said.. he would give me $300 for it broken.. I asked why and he said it is one of the best radio's for runnin with a cough.. cough.. linear.. cough cough.. that im lookin for one.. cough cough.....

anyhow i found out it isnt broke. i bought a power mic and the battery is dead. It has a switch built in where if the battery is dead you have to remove it for the mic to work like a normal mic

http://68.45.127.110/cb/headliner4.jpg

http://68.45.127.110/cb/headliner1.jpg

[img=500x375]http://68.45.127.110/cb/headliner4.jpg[/img]

[img=500x375]http://68.45.127.110/cb/headliner1.jpg[/img]

6. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse

I ran accross these when I bought my CB.

http://www.bills2way.com/equip/expo.html

7. Chris

Chris
    Expand Collapse

Ive got one and its great...good range and fits in the dash :bigthumb:

8. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

Yeah Nick, that seems like the thing to do if someone has a weak CB...I might check into that. I was looking at the charts and there seems to be no Uniden or Cobra 19DX-III models...I wonder if they sell them but just did not list them???

9. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

Never mind about the Uniden, there is a huge list of models that I missed :silly:

10. AggiePSD

AggiePSD
    Expand Collapse

Cobras are weak radio's? Not the high end ones. They are top of the line.

11. LPD111

LPD111
    Expand Collapse

I have a Radio Shack CB that I bought probably in 95. It is a GREAT little radio. Has a decent amount of features and in a compact size.

I have a Uniden in my squad. It is big but also has tons of features. Check out http://www.uniden.com

They sell factory reconditioned units pretty cheap with full warranty.

12. DeerHunter

DeerHunter
    Expand Collapse

not hardly.....the FCC has it where you can do minimal to none as far as mods....they cant take the extra power boost

13. AggiePSD

AggiePSD
    Expand Collapse

DeerHunter, what do you consider good? steved seems to have pretty good range with his.

Why would the FCC limit Cobra and not the others?

14. DeerHunter

DeerHunter
    Expand Collapse

i dont know how in the world he talks 35 miles unless hes talkin skip.......ive got a cobra 29nwst and its peaked & tuned which is pretty much the max you can do to the newer cobras.....so unless its a very old cobra which was before the FCC cut back on TX power then its not possible to talk 35 miles everynight without talkin skip....im lucky to get 10 miles and ive got a good antenna

15. slowpoke

slowpoke
    Expand Collapse

i beg to differ deerhunter. cobra 29s can talk 35 miles at night no problem if tuned right. i have a cobra 29 sitting up in my closet right now that i use for back up and i have a couple friends who live 30 to 40 miles from me and we talk radio to radio just about every night (they use cobra 29s). i have a feeling your radio and/or antenna is either not tuned properly or your antenna is not mounted in a ideal location.

another thing keep in mind my main radio is not a 29 but it is a galaxy 99 but every cobra 29 ive ran across had the capability to be tuned between 25 and 40 watts with as little as a 1 watt dead key which is way more than you need for a radio. another great radio for the money is a cobra 25 (without the weather b/s option)

16. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

DeerHunter, See what you don't understand is my radio IS NOT STOCK! I have a Conex board (echo, reverb), talkback, and Hot Finals (which I believe are Galaxy finals)...I can hang with the big radios that aren't pushing 100 watts+...and besides, those radios are essentially ILLEGAL because they put out more than the legal 4 watts! Mine is illegal, I know...I'm pushing 12 watts dead key and 50 watts modulating. So when you say you don't know how I talk that far...now you know. And to all you that care...figure about a watt per mile in talk range depending on weather and terrain.

For most purposes, go buy a walmart radio and have it peaked and tuned, and have a good antenna matched to the radio...it'll talk great and you will be very happy with the results.

You guys looking at CBs are having others here comparing your setups to, and being pushed towards professional equipment that costs $$$$$! If you have that kinda $$$$$, then go buy one...most of you would hate them cause they have to many buttons and knobs to know, and some have frequency counters...they don't even tell you the channel number...confusing, not fun.

Any good radio shop can do the mods I have had done to my radio...they are not special. At least have your radio peaked and tuned and the antenna matched...that will make the difference in the world. Most of you could likely have your radio peaked and tuned, and the antenna matched and it would make a big difference in your current setup and cost less than a new radio.

steved

17. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

an after thought...

Radio Shack radios are made by midland and cobra/uniden I think...they are very durable little radios. I have one, a TRC-417 and it works great. I have two Cobra 29s, the one I am running and a peaked and tuned backup with the weather BS :flipoff: ! They both work good! My dad has a Uniden PC76Xl in his truck, it talks good and is exceptionally clear on reception...I run a lot of noise with my 29.

My point above was: get a good name radio and have it touched (it doesn't need to cost $$$$$)...and it should be enough for most of you, unless you're into the cb thing which most of us don't understand anyway (you trying to call home ET?!)

steved

18. jimmyjack

jimmyjack
    Expand Collapse

i have a superstar 121 that has been supertuned to about 55 watts, as well i have a skeleton 150 power box that adds 75 watts of power on for about 15-30 miles depending on the weather, who i am talkin to, terrain, and the frequency--if you have a radio w. high/low channels the high low talk better than the regular cb channels...but getting it supertuned by a cb guru or buying a powerbox, also setting your SWR calibration makes a huge difference in the output of your cb

19. slowpoke

slowpoke
    Expand Collapse

oh btw jimmyjack i noticed in a previous post of yours you recently got a linear. be sure to tune your radio with a low dead key (under 4 watts but preferably under 2) or you will fry that amp of yours

20. DeerHunter

DeerHunter
    Expand Collapse

i see how now :bigthumb: