1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Burning oil fast in the 96 dodge 2500 woth a 360

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by V8 MAGNUM, Nov 26, 2008.

1. V8 MAGNUM

V8 MAGNUM
    Expand Collapse

My 1996 dodge ram 2500 5.9l V8 360 is going through oil like nothing around 4 quarts every 2 weeks or a little longer. Theres no way it can be leaking because i would have noticed. i see alot about this online with the gas rams but people have a hole bunch of diff answers to it. I think it may be that oils getting sucked into my intake to fast because the filters nasty when i checked it recently. thanks -jeff

2. KB440

KB440
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like the plenium gasket is gone. That's the plate on the bottom of the intake manifold. If you like down the throttle body and see a pool of oil in the bottom of the intake, that would be an indication it's gone.

3. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: Sounds like the plenum in your intake is gone. Our intakes use a two-piece setup with the bottom of the aluminum intake cut out. Then they bolt on a steel plate with a gasket. When this goes, it exposes the oil gallery of the top end of the motor to the inside of the intake. The oil just gets sucked in there and burnt up by the motor.

4. j merritt

j merritt
    Expand Collapse

that is what mine did before i replaced mine as well. i replaced mine with a hughes engines 1/4" aluminum plate. going on 3 years now. so far so good.

5. V8 MAGNUM

V8 MAGNUM
    Expand Collapse

thanks for all the advice im gonna go ahead and buy a hughes engines V8 Plenum Reinforcement Kit from this site http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11698 its the manufactures site so it should be fine i think. Also i was wondering what you guys use for oil as of now i have always been using Valvoline 10w-40 just conventional, i was just wondering.