1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Best Year for Cummins Dodge

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by Off-Road Master, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Off-Road Master

Off-Road Master
    Expand Collapse

Hi There, looking for advice on which is the best year of the Cummins Dodge after 1995.

Looking to get a used truck with around 100k miles.

Thanks!

2. halycon

halycon
    Expand Collapse

You might get some more in depth answers in the actual Cummins section (from both searching in there and asking questions)... but, IIRC, the 24 valve motors have more potential for power and are adjustable with chips, but 12 valve motors are supposedly super easy to work on yet still make a good amount of power.

Here's a thread with some good info: http://pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=126010&highlight=12v+vs+24v

3. bajabomber87

bajabomber87
    Expand Collapse

97 or the 98 12 valve with the rare 99+ interior 3.55's and automatic. Thats what I remember reading from someone on here with a similar thread to yours. Thats the best truck (cummins powered ram) for fuel mileage.

4. adealac

adealac
    Expand Collapse

This has been debated alot on http://www.cumminsforum.com, but personally I feel the best year cummins truck after 1995 is the 2007 5.9 with the 6 speed... its the farthest advancement of the 5.9 and it has the bugs worked out of it, overall damn good truck. Personally I am a fan of the 03-04 cummins SO and HO, they make damn good power, very reliable once you get the fuel filter lift pump taken care of and you can get damn good fuel economy. I love my 04 HO (305/555) makes plenty of power stock and runs damn good!

5. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

That's a very broad question, to say the least. My personal opinion; any cummins is a good one. The only one I may stay away from would be the 6.7L with the bluetec emissions stuff. People seem to have quite a few problems with the EGR/DPF system. What are you looking for? Ease of power upgrades? Smoke?

6. chet22

chet22
    Expand Collapse

i'd love to have a cummins, wanted to get one when i get this truck but didnt. Now the truck market has crashed and my 01 with 5.9 is worth nothing

:(: I like the 02-07? body style

7. PunisheR

PunisheR
    Expand Collapse

lol.

Personally, I have my favorite years..

1995 ram 12v.. first year of the x-cab, best fuel pump if you ask me, and easy to work on, very basic..

2003 dodge ram 3500 HO 6 speed with the 5.9, like the guy said above, once you fix the lift pump, its golden, hell, mine does like 25-26mpg..

I like them all to be honest with you, even the 6.7L is going to be nice once everything is worked through.

-Jordan

8. adealac

adealac
    Expand Collapse

There are alot of people who dont have any problems with the 6.7, there are a few that do, most of them moddified their trucks. 6.7 is still the best diesel out of any new truck.

9. mopar

mopar
    Expand Collapse

i am old school i like the 93's myself ..... but at the same time i love my 02 also

i was never a fan of my dads 03 its not as comfortable to me as my 02

10. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Agreed on the best diesel out there. Some people have luck with them, some don't. I think it has a lot of potential for huge power gains, as it's .8L bigger; and that old saying no replacement for displacement holds true. Several performance shops have done experiments with them with some pretty impressive gains; mainly in the torque department.

11. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

I love the new interior on my dads 05. Its pulls well. But im still partial to my modded out 01 :D:

12. cummins freak

cummins freak
    Expand Collapse

all I know is my 97 takes a lickin and keeps on chugin along. Seems to be just a tank of a motor. I love it change the oil, add fuel and air and it always runs.....that and it makes some good power also while puling I think good milage for having 4:10's

13. 8=D

8=D
    Expand Collapse

im going to disagree with you and go with jordans answer. hard to beat the triple nickels!

14. Grumpy John 4X4

Grumpy John 4X4
    Expand Collapse

Second that also, the diesel techs I know tell me to stay away from 2007 and up! :bigthumb:

15. v10sport

v10sport
    Expand Collapse

No issues with my 07.

16. adealac

adealac
    Expand Collapse

Im guessing he means the 6.7, which after the first few bugs were worked out is a damn good engine.

17. Fishin2Deep4U

Fishin2Deep4U
    Expand Collapse

Depends on what you want to spend, your mechanical abilities and end use.

The 12V 2nd gen trucks are all about the same. However, there were different pumps offered and it pays to know which one you want and why.

The VP44 trucks get a bad rap but I know where one makes close to 700HP is a daily driver and gets over 24MPG freeway.

The 3rd gens I would avoid are the '03-'04s. Not nearly the HP potential and some small niggling issues that were corrected for the '04.5 and up trucks.

If you are willing to void every warranty in the truck and take matters into your own hands, the 6.7 can achieve decent economy. However, in stock form it's a low mileage pig. We are working on tons of parts for this model right now.

Dave

18. 8=D

8=D
    Expand Collapse

so the lift pump? big whoop. i replaced mine at 130k. eventually when im pushing enough power i will upgrade the fuel system. what do you mean not nearly the HP potential, they are the same damn engine. once you go replacing the injectors/tips and turbo, they're very few differences to be worried about 03-04 vs 04.5+.

i dont think you can go wrong with any 3rd gen.

19. MuscleHead

MuscleHead
    Expand Collapse

6.7 is no joke, hands down better performer than my 5.9 3rd gen cummins was. The new 68re 6 speed auto is an awesome new addition. Me and quite a few others are running 500hp+ on the stock tranny with no issues. They are all good with each model having their own issues needing worked out. All a matter of fixing the issues instead of band aiding them so to speak.