1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Best way to de-sludge your motor???

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by Patent Pending, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

I've heard of guys using tranny fluid, Sea Foam, clean oil, etc, but I was wondering what you guys thought about this.

I'm trying to get my truck in shape for winter, and I'd like to de-sludge the motor. I just changed the oil last Sunday, and have been getting blue smoke at start up since the oil change. Didn't do it before I changed the oil, so today I checked the oil level again and noticed it was overfilled by about 1/2-1qt. Apparently I bought a 5qt jug (thought it was a gallon), poured all that in there along with another 1.5 qts. Basically I thought I put in 5.5qts, but really it was 6.5qts. :idiot: Didn't know it until I looked at the jugs at the parts store today, and saw they were 5qts instead of the normal 1gal size.

So, I promptly drained out some oil until it was at the proper level. Then I put in a new PCV valve, poured Sea Foam down the TB twice, replaced the air filter with a brand new K&N style filter, and I'm going to get a new crankcase breather tomorrow. Everything was kinda sludged with old oil, so that's why I'm wanting to flush the motor out.

I'm thinking tomorrow or Monday I'll flush the motor, change the oil again, put in new spark plugs and maybe wires and a cap and rotor too. Pretty much do a full tune up before the winter hits. I've got another bottle of Sea Foam that I could use to flush the motor, or I could get some tranny fluid or something else. What do you guys think???

2. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

If I suspect a lot of sludge in the engine, I'll change the oil and filter a few times over a 5-600 mile period. The danger in using ATF, Seafoam or motor flush in an engine with excessive sludge is The chemical can break it up too fast. This can cause blockages in vital oil ports. I prefer to do it slowly over time. Often I've pulled the pan and valve covers to clean and inspect for excessive sludge and wear in engines that are new to me...recent purchases.

:baby:

3. cj ford

cj ford
    Expand Collapse

Diesel fuel works great :D:

4. 98redram

98redram
    Expand Collapse

go to your locla parts store they seell a product specifically designed for this i think the one i picked up when i did my truck was just called "motor flush" obviously used it and i was impressed with the crap that cam eout of the oilk pan

i added the tsuff to my truck drove it about 2 miles (aorund my block 2 times )

drained it changed filter with cheapos ran for 5 miles changed it again and then did a good oil change in it

runs clean oil most of the time now and i keep my oil changes down to about 1K on each one keep it fresh

(sorry for the long write up ) :sorry:

5. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

i just wish you could spell :rotfl:

6. Woods

Woods
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: that is what i have used before, has worked good on some cars i've had, but bad on others. it worked really good on a 79 bronco and an 83 trans am that i had, but the 305 in an 86 trans am didn't do as well. my 86 t/a had an immediate drop in oil pressure(would only get to 15psi when warm, no matter what rpm), loss of power, and the engine failed about 4000 miles later of easy i'm-worried-i-won't-have-a-car-much-longer driving. so if you flush the engine, do at your own risk because it might help, or it might make things worse.

7. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

Mr. Joe, I kinda thought about that too with freeing up excess sludge and blocking something up, so I'm a little leary as you said. Do you think it would be a better idea to just add a little or a de-sludger to the crankcase right before the next few oil changes???

CJ, diesel fuel was another I've heard that works good, but I'm not sure how much to add or how to go about doing this. Would I just add some to my regular oil and let it idle, or what??? Same with tranny fluid... not sure what concentration or engine speed and time length is okay. :dunno::

Any ideas on that???

8. Matty

Matty
    Expand Collapse

Changing oil every 1k?!?!? Wow!

Mr. Joe makes a very scary point there. I'd have to think any method that doesn't completely break up the deposits could leave you with chunks floating around your oiling system. It's a slim chance, but what if one gets in the passage for a main or rod bearing.

9. cj ford

cj ford
    Expand Collapse

Chuck drain 1 quart of oil out, add a quart of diesel fuel in let it run for 20 min or so then drain it out. We had to do this to a new Ford Windstar that went almost 30,000 miles on the factory oil it was so plugged up the oil wouldnt even drain through the oil returns in the heads back into the oil pan...was a customer of ours that had it through a lease :rotfl:

10. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

:shock: :shock: :shock: Note to self... avoid all lease return vehicles when looking for a new car. :bad:

Thanks for the guidance... I'll probably do that when I change the oil again. I want to get about 500-1,000mi on this oil change so it isn't a complete waste of money.

11. 98redram

98redram
    Expand Collapse

yes i said it before i change my oil about every 1k miles why you might ask well becasue what does an oil change and filter cost 20 $ ?? its cheap so why not preserve the life of the engine to the fullest and lengthen its life ??? (that and i sink my truck frequently ) so it is worth it in my situation and i would rather run the motor flush than diesel fuel its made for it never had any impact on my truck still runs perfect oil pressure and never have seen another chunk of sludge come outy of the motor :bigthumb:

12. Matty

Matty
    Expand Collapse

Changing your oil every 1k is stupid and wasteful. I change it ever 3k in out dump trucks that spend their days in the dirt towing and hauling 10+k pounds, and it still comes out fairly clean.

with todays engine and oil technology, there is nor reason in the world to do that. Of course i know that you know everything, because you are 17 and run 38" boggers on half tons with 3.55 gears and wonder why your tranny went out.

13. 98redram

98redram
    Expand Collapse

came to my senses sorry guys CONTINUE :sorry:

14. 8=D

8=D
    Expand Collapse

your not a jackass, but a dumbass for changing your oil every 1k. when did becoming 17 mean you know more than everyone else? im only 18 but damn, i joined this site to learn, not argue what i do is better.

anyways, continue on with the appropriate topic.