1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

best sealant option for freeze plugs?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by JasonB, Feb 23, 2006.

1. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

anyone recommend a sealant for freeze plugs? I'd hate to end up replacing them after the motor is in.

what about a good thread sealant for the oil galley plugs?

2. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

freeze plugs are self sealing brass, if you put sealant on them they may not pop out when they are supposed to, but then what are the chances that it would ever get cold enough by you for that

3. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

well i read in several places to use sealant on them, but i do not recall ever doing that before (nearly 20 years ago the last time i rebuilt a motor)

4. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

i did a little searching, and your right alot of places are recommending to put a little sealant on the contact surface

ive rebuilt many motors over the years and never heard of anyone doing that till now

5. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

I also don't recall using sealant. :sorry:

:baby:

6. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

hence my confusion. perhaps they are referring to steel plugs and not brass?

7. trail_lover

trail_lover
    Expand Collapse

A little RTV . a little on your finger wipe around the sealing serface , install core plugs (frost plugs)

for fittings i always use teflon tape . rape the threads in the drection of the threads so that when you thread the fitting the tape does not come off .

8. WMIF

WMIF
    Expand Collapse

i always get the block back with the plugs installed by the machine shop.

9. trail_lover

trail_lover
    Expand Collapse

use a seal installing tool , make sure you are square to the block . dont just use a hammer you will bend the mating serface and it will leak .

10. 74 chev

74 chev
    Expand Collapse

i use brass ones and have never had a leak :dunno:

11. KB440

KB440
    Expand Collapse

With brass plugs I never use anything, but with steel plugs I use RTV.

12. Tango

Tango
    Expand Collapse

use RTV and let it setup for 48 hours.

on a street truck you don't really need if BUT offroad if you don't put it they can vibrate out.

13. RamSport59

RamSport59
    Expand Collapse

Boss...on my jasper engine when one of the freeze plugs popped on me, Jasper told me to use a certain # of Locktite. I can remember the number. but It had to set for 8 hrs then i pressure tested....It lasted at least 25k miles then and someone else is now driving it.

I'd check into that if I were you!!! I definitly recommend using sealant...

Rick

14. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

I always use Permatex Gasket Maker...the black sticky stuff in a tube (looks like tar), not RTV. Coat the entire inner face of the plug with it. Most plugs I have taken out were rotten in the center for some reason...maybe the block acts as an anode??

If you use brass, I doubt sealant is needed. Steel, I think the idea is to prevent them from rusting out.

And how does a freeze plug vibrate out?!?!? :loser:

My only advise is don't punch them in too far.

And if you are worried about them "vibrating out", you can drill and tap the block for small screws and add a piece of strap steel across them to prevent them blowing out under high RPMs. Brass plugs are nice because they are corrosion resistant, but they are also softer, don't hold in the block as well, and can pop out...although I have only seen this once at a drag strip.

steved

15. JustRamIt

JustRamIt
    Expand Collapse

Freeze plugs arent supposed to pop out when it gets too cold so your block wont crack. Freeze plugs are there for inital casting purposes only from the factory.

16. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

The only time I've ever seen a pressed-in freeze plug (brass or steel) "pop" out due to engine load/vibration was at a drag race. 550+ horsepower and 7000+ rpm in a late model, thin casting 5.0/302 Ford block is living on the ragged edge. This guy puked a freeze plug out of the block (probably due to the block twisting) out at about the 1/8th mile, in the finals.

I have always run brass plugs and never used any sealant. The way I look at it, more likely than not, if I ever have to worry about a brass plug failing, the motor's probably given up the ghost long before that, or I've got some big time problems above and beyond a freeze plug.