Bad Oil sending unit symptoms?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by BlackDragon, Jun 27, 2003.

1. BlackDragon

BlackDragon
    Expand Collapse

I think I have a bad oil sending unit but I'm not sure. Occasionally my check guages idiot light comes on for just a second then clears. When it does my oil pressure guage drops to zero. Is this the symptoms of a bad sending unit or what? Oh yeah, it mostly happens on hard breaking. WTF? :-?:

2. Madd Ramm

Madd Ramm
    Expand Collapse

Oil sending unit? Are you referring tosensor that reads oil pressure? If so, that could be the problem.

I have had vehicles before that read a large drop in oil pressure when the vehicle is either stopping suddenly or gets articulated at a steep angle on the trail. Usually it is cuase the oil all sloshes to one side of the oil pan or the other......if it can't read pressure then it might mean that you are low on oil and when it sloshes to the other side the oil pump can't suck it up....just a thought, but check the oil level. :-?:

3. BlackDragon

BlackDragon
    Expand Collapse

Yes, the sensor is what I meant.

The oil level is good, but very dirty. I told the wife to go have it changed. Maybe that will help.

4. v10sport

v10sport
    Expand Collapse

Mine did that before the motor died. I was burning up oil. When the oil level droped and a hit the brakes hard, the idiot light would come on and the gauge would go to zero and the truck shut off once in a while. If your oil is full, I d try the sending unit.

5. King Nothing

King Nothing
    Expand Collapse

I was driving down the interstate one night and looked down and had NO oil pressure... I stopped and listened to the engine and she sounded fine... it would get pressure at speed but when I stopped The gauge would fall to zero... drove it like that for a year. changed the sending unit and it fine now

6. wayback

wayback
    Expand Collapse

Classic symtom would be a nasty oil leak at the sender. I believe it is a relatively inexpensive part to replace.

7. Jou

Jou
    Expand Collapse

I replaced mine a while back. You'll probably have a nasty oil leak along with it not reading the pressure correctly.