1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

bad axle u joint?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by robike, Sep 21, 2005.

1. robike

robike
    Expand Collapse

what are the symptoms of a front axle u joint going bad. i've had a knocking feeling in my steering wheel for a long time. it happens whenever i hit any kind of bump. most everything steering wise is new, one of the only things that havent been replaced are the axle u joints. any ideas? :wall:

2. Remington

Remington
    Expand Collapse

how are the shocks? new? just another idea.

3. jroutlaw0803

jroutlaw0803
    Expand Collapse

well most symptoms are a lil clicking at first followed by a loud a$$ knocking then a pop :shock: You can check them just get under there and look them over and see how much play is in them or worst case if a cap is missing or its cracked or broken but if it was youd be hearing a ruckus going on,as far as what you are feeling i dunno if that would cause it to shake really.

4. scoot

scoot
    Expand Collapse

check the track bar

5. JustRamIt

JustRamIt
    Expand Collapse

how about your steering shaft connecting the steering column to the gear box?

6. robike

robike
    Expand Collapse

the track bar should be ok. i have a lukes link on it, and it appears tight when the wheel is turned. shocks are pretty new. bolts are the right size and i've already added some washers to shim them out. the steering shaft is a brand new borgeson. fortunately and unfortunately, the description of u joints going bad does not fit my symptoms. any other ideas?

7. JustRamIt

JustRamIt
    Expand Collapse

well it sounds like you have covered just about everything. Maybe its in your steering column itself? Just throwing stuff out there now. :roll:

8. robike

robike
    Expand Collapse

thats what i'm looking for RamIt. i've thought of the steering column, and there is a slight amount of play. i still think its something in my front end. i have the day off today, i'll crawl under there once again and see if i can see anything new. what about motor mounts? do you think that could be it? they never have been replaced.

9. jroutlaw0803

jroutlaw0803
    Expand Collapse

i dunno if it would be the mounts making a knocking in the steering wheel though.Does it make a popping noise when you turn too,,maybe a hub bearing or busted shock or loose bushing in the leaf spring???Just a few guesses since youve covered the rest of the usual steering problems :sorry:

10. robike

robike
    Expand Collapse

oooh, leaf spring bushing. i'll check those, i havent replaced them yet. this is helpful... keep 'em coming guys.

11. robike

robike
    Expand Collapse

i think the problem may be play in the steering gear. the shaft that the steering shaft connects to seems to have a little play and the borgeson may be picking this up. what do you think?

12. dodgethis12

dodgethis12
    Expand Collapse

Tie rod ends, hub a$$embly, steering shaft, and the track bar (check both ends) the bushing at the frame end will go bad too. I had a lukes link once.......it lasted 500 miles and started clunking...... in my experience you get what you pay for. I bet its one of the items listed above.