1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

axle vs tire size

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by 01HERCU-RAM, Jan 19, 2011.

1. 01HERCU-RAM

01HERCU-RAM
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with a dana 44 in front and 9.25 with pwer trax out back. n i allways was told nothing bigger than a 35 on 1500 axles, but i see guys on here runnin 39-40 n bigger on 1500s are those guys just wanting a truck that looks big or goes big? cuz i use the h*** out of mine from hunting to bogging to climb,crawlin,n even truck pulls and recovery. i've already smashed the tack lock n had the trans, transfercase, torque converter n rearend rebuilt bullitproof as poss. but am afraid to go any bigger than 35s with out upgradeing axels to full floatin out of a 2500 or do u think the set up that is in there will be strong enof n i should jus put my $ in a good set od gears? either way gears will come into play. can pick up the axles and 2500 suspention for $400. plan to run 38s(at least)

2. Brawler

Brawler
    Expand Collapse

Paragraphs man.

First off, what 2500 are we talking here? Cummins, and V10's got D60's (although balljoints, but still ALOT stronger).

Second, if you really beat on your truck, dont go any higher than 35's. The mall crawlers get away with half-tons and 40's because of the pavement. Think about it. A nice easy acceleration on pavement is ALOT nicer on gears and axle shafts VS spinning at 5k and then suddenly grabbing traction. As far as gears go, I would go with a set of at least 4.88's.

Hope this helps.

3. 01HERCU-RAM

01HERCU-RAM
    Expand Collapse

i beveile it had a V10 but not a 100% its just a 97 chasis sittin there, but i will find out. i jus know axles are bigger than my 9.25 and D44! n thanks for gearing idea i was on the fence bout goin that low. thanks BRAWLER

4. 01HERCU-RAM

01HERCU-RAM
    Expand Collapse

oh yea n thank for in put tires guess i'll stick with the 35s!! jus wanted lil more ground clearance but 1-2in isnt that big of a diff. it drags axles quite well!lol

5. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

Geez does anyone know how to freaking spell and use half ass decent grammer and paragraphs? If you dont, go back to skool or try to learn a little. I know its tough, but more people will answer you and offer suggestions without having to figure out what kinda slang your speaking.

Secondly, Search a little bit. Every bit of this jibberish has been discussed numerous times. Axles from a 2500 will work, but a few things need to be done to make them work. But they are pretty much a bolt in process.

6. 01HERCU-RAM

01HERCU-RAM
    Expand Collapse

Don't matter now rolled the truck a few times today. and sorry didn't relize i was askin a english teacher that complains about grammer and spelling and can't even spell school. i was under the impression this was a 4x4 forum not a grammer lesson!!!

Never asked if 2500's would work just if i should upgrade do to the abuse i put my truck threw! becuz half the guys on here say 1500's are plenty and half say they are not.

7. FrozenRam

FrozenRam
    Expand Collapse

haf tonns will be plenty you can go 40's no problim or bigger since youve already made youre drivetrain bullitproof n no sense spendin more $ on good set od gears cuz you already did the rearend n upgradeing so itll be strong enof n sice you already do hunting an climb then why put 2500 suspention if 1500 works allredy good an it drags axles quite well then sounds like it goes big the way it is cept for maybe sum skratches from rollin it a few times but you can paint it and bigger axels will just make it heavier so you might get stuck in mud when bogging but you cood spend $ on a wench oh an get cromed allumimum wheels cuz itll wiegh less an wood be good to git a helmut

8. Brawler

Brawler
    Expand Collapse

Just buy the 3/4 ton axles, get some gears installed in them while you have them tore apart, and you'll have that peace of mind the next time you go wheeling.

1/2 ton stuff will break at the most inconvenient time, and your gonna have a hell of a time getting yourself back to a shop. The whole time of which, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not just upgrading while you had the chance.

9. olyelr

olyelr
    Expand Collapse

:rotfl:

10. Mikeg1005

Mikeg1005
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

I don't know whats funnier... FrozenRam's info, or the grammer.

Anyways to the OP... its not that we are English teachers.. your post is just hard to read/follow the way you typed it.

But to answer your question... its sounds like you already know what to do..

The "35in max on 1/2 tons" is a general rule for it you wheel your truck... theres guys running 40+" tires that don't leave the pavement and they are fine for the most part.... but like you said... if you are busting stuff already, you'll either need to change your driving habbits or change to 1 tons if you want to run 38s.

MIke.

11. FrozenRam

FrozenRam
    Expand Collapse

Sorry , Herc ! :biggrin: But your post was horrendous and difficult to read. Just had to have some fun at your expense !

If I deciphered your post correctly and you seriously abuse your vehicle that much , then a 1/2 ton ain't gonna cut it ! So Yes , you need to upgrade but you'll probably just wreck it anyways - it's a truck not a tank .

And I'm curious - half the members here have said that 40's or bigger on a 1500 is plenty for the abuse you would put it through ????? Really ?????

Sounds like you need to custom build a purpose-built rig , and that would require a lot of time , money and skill .....

I'm sticking with my original suggestion --- just get a helmet.

12. 01HERCU-RAM

01HERCU-RAM
    Expand Collapse

axles it is becuse i'm pretty stuck in my ways lol.not to mention it ripped the hub assembly rite off the nuckel, so now i'm thinkin motor/trans swap since this roll was a pretty good one!
    i'll try to get some pics up soon. but i also just picked up a 1990 suburban,bout 8in lift n 35s so the dodge may get pretty wild after it tryed the roll over n play dead thing.

13. 01HERCU-RAM

01HERCU-RAM
    Expand Collapse

well, frozen thats prob whats gona happen to herc. since i now have the burban for a tow rig and buyin the 97 2500 later today / no motor or trans but, got that part. n $400 for70k chassis jus can't passit up!

14. Brawler

Brawler
    Expand Collapse

Just get the axles and gears installed, wheel, and post pics of newfound glory. :bigthumb:

15. FrozenRam

FrozenRam
    Expand Collapse

Can you get some pics up of the Dodge after the rollover ?

And hope you're alright - no injuries ?