1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

ASD (Automatic shutdown relay)

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by ToddT, Dec 30, 2004.

1. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

Well, I have had an Optima D31 yellow top battery for about 12 months and I figured it was going bad because my engine would barely turn over every morning I would start it... I then thought it could be the alternator going, so I took it in to see if it was the problem; however, they said the alternator seemed to be fine. So I re-install the alternator and now I'm getting a check engine light with code 41 which states, "Problem with the charging system. Occurs when battery voltage from the ASD(Automatic shutdown relay) is below 11.75 volts."

So what exactly does the ASD do? and if it's what is draining my battery to the point where it will barely turn the engine, what's the fix?

NOTE: my battery never drained to the point where the enigne would not crank...which seems weird to me...

2. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

What voltage do you have at the battery after trying to crank it. Make sure the engine is not running when you check it. I had a bad cell on my battery that only malfunctioned after a load was present.

Next, check all ground and hot connections for dirty/loose conditions.

:baby:

3. basing

basing
    Expand Collapse

get the battery tested first and if not teh battery then ...asd relay is for accidents when you get hit it siwtches teh relay which make your fuel pump turn off so that in case of accident your fuel pump is not pumping fuel into a fire making it bigger .... id check connections to teh asd relay and check voltage at the relay ..or simply reset it because it might be half way triggerd where it partially stuck

4. Archer

Archer
    Expand Collapse

Your ASD is a relay located in the Power Distribution Center under the hood, take the lid off the PDC and look at the diagram under the lid to see which one it is...

The relay is used to connect the oxygen sensor heater elements, ignition coils, and fuel injectors to a 12+ volt power supply...

You can check them for proper operation with a ohms and volt meter...

5. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

Ok, thanks. Also, can someone move this to the Dodge forum? I meant to place it there but I forgot...

Thanks! :bigthumb:

6. 2000DAKATAK

2000DAKATAK
    Expand Collapse

Basically what was said above about the asd relay stands but the big thing on asd is the crankshaft positioning sensor. i foudn that out the hard way on my 93 rc. maybe it'll help maybe it wont.

7. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I have been reading up about the ASD and there are a few things that it controls. Apparently my alternator is not charging my battery like it is supposed to because there is no increase in voltage with the increase of RPMs. The ASD is related with the charging of the alternator, so maybe this is what is causing my check engine light to come on... Tomorrow I will replace it and see if it fixes my problem. :bigthumb:

Thanks for the information guys :bigthumb:

8. does it matter

does it matter
    Expand Collapse

just switch the ASD relay with one of the others in the power block, they are the same.

what about the big 120 amp fuse thats for the alternator, is that blown?

9. ToddT

ToddT
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info. guys. I did a few more tests and it turned out to be the alt. It was not charging the batt. at higher rpms...

10. streetbikebandit

streetbikebandit
    Expand Collapse

I'm new to this forum stuff but I need some help with something of the same topic... I have a 94 ram 2500 5.9l v8 360 and I think I'm having problems with the ASD relay also. When the truck is running it constantly shuts down without warning sometimes it'll sputter then kill but mostly it straight kills. I swap the relays around and it'll run for a lil while but ends of killing itself again. Any ideas?