1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

argon tank for c02?

Discussion in 'Tool and Shop Talk' started by SalvagExpert, Feb 17, 2004.

1. SalvagExpert

SalvagExpert
    Expand Collapse

ive been wanting to put a co2 tank in my truck to fill up tires..... been looking at the kits and their around 300-400 bucks for a 10 pound co2 tank and an air chuck....

i have a bunch of 10 pound argon tanks from my welder laying around. argon is CO2 mixed with i forget what. so cant i just put a 150psi regulator on my argon tank and fill it with co2?

just an idea, ill gracefully accept any insults to my intelegence for this. :bigthumb:

2. zj

zj
    Expand Collapse

If you can get somebody to fill up your argon tanks with c02, I'd say go for it. It's not like it's going to be unsafe. Both tanks are rated for high pressure anyway.

3. snowball

snowball
    Expand Collapse

Argon is an element, as in periodic table, mixed with co2 man :poke:

4. SalvagExpert

SalvagExpert
    Expand Collapse

i just know it makes pretty welds ..... so what is the difference between the tanks? ive got a co2 tank tank the same size and it looks identical to the argon tanks i wanna use?

like i said just an idea, im not gonna ghetto rig something if its not safe.. just wanna know if its the same tank?

5. Badboy4453

Badboy4453
    Expand Collapse

There is nothing different between the tanks, they are just filled with a different gas. You can have an Argon, Co2, or Tri mix, all same tanks, but different gasses inside.

Nick.

6. SalvagExpert

SalvagExpert
    Expand Collapse

so can i take my tank to the welding place and have them re-certify it or just fill it with co2? i know they get picky about putting the wrong thing in the wrong bottle....

7. Badboy4453

Badboy4453
    Expand Collapse

I don't think they would object, especially if it is your tank and if it's already certified. I wouldn't think they'd care about filling it with Co2 vs. argon, they might just have to slap a new sticker on it saying co2, instead of an argon one. Call them up and ask if they'll fill your argon tank with co2.

Nick.

8. SalvagExpert

SalvagExpert
    Expand Collapse

thanks for the help guys :bigthumb:

9. UPmudrat

UPmudrat
    Expand Collapse

Maybe they will swap out your argon for a C02.

10. JaysRam

JaysRam
    Expand Collapse

Funtionally this is possible , but there are some differences in the tanks:

1. The color on the top of the tank ( for DOT purposes), no biggie just repaint it and have it certified and put a sticker on it

2. A standard argon welding tank valve has female fitting and a co2 tank has a male fitting.

All of this is overcomable, but they will give you a hard time about this when you try to have it filled.

Good luck

11. SalvagExpert

SalvagExpert
    Expand Collapse

while cleaning the rest of my crap in the garage i found a 20cu foot nitrogen tank, isnt nitrogen basicly compressed air? wouldnt this make be better for tires anyway?

when i use to play paintball we used nitrogen, the tanks were compeltely different but they would fill them with either nitrogen or compressed air depending on which place you went to, to get it filled...

comments?