1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

Any other way to lift my Durango?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by lifted-d, May 11, 2004.

1. lifted-d

lifted-d
    Expand Collapse

I've got a 98 Durango and already have the body lift but I want more lift to fit 35s. Any other way to do it besides adding the Rancho 3" suspension lift? I'm not mechanically inclined and the $700 installation fee is gonna kill me on top of the Rancho kit and my new gears (about $1500) :wall:

2. AUdakota

AUdakota
    Expand Collapse

You could go with the 5.5 tuff country. But other than expensive kits theres not much else you could do.

You could just crank the torsion bars and put a rear block on there but i dont think you could get 35's on there with just that.

3. 4wDakota

4wDakota
    Expand Collapse

You can squeze 35's on it with cranking the torsion bars. You'll have to run 15 x 8's with 3.75" backspacing and make light trims to the front fashia

For the rear do an add-a-leaf and a longer shackle (if necessary) to level it out. Can't use blocks, rear is spring under

Dakota on 35's with 3" body, t-bars cranked and 8" rims

[img=500x375]http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/362000-362999/362113_22_full.jpg[/img]

[img=500x375]http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/362000-362999/362113_19_full.jpg[/img]

You can also run 34 x 12.50 Trxus MT's

4. DakotaClark

DakotaClark
    Expand Collapse

I have a Dakota and that one right there is amazing... mine is stock planning on a 3" suspension lift...

5. fuel583

fuel583
    Expand Collapse

We put a 3" body lift on my girls 99 durango and to fit the 33" swamper sts's i had to do some minor trimming. Seems like the 35s would be kinda tight. Any pics of ur durango?

6. lifted-d

lifted-d
    Expand Collapse

No pics of my Durango, need a digital camera but my Durango must come first money wise. I have the Eagle 589 rims with 3.25 backspacing now and I rub with my 33x12.5s on sharp turns so I think 35s would be very hard with just a torsion and shackle lift. Cutting the bumper is no problem but I also rub the front wheel well and thats metal. 4x4 shop wants $700 to install the Rancho kit. But, I need gears too and installation for gears is $400 an axle here in Louisville. The parts are easy for me to spend the money on but the installation would be about $1600 for lift and gears and thats tough to take. Making that a grand total of $3600+tax and the money to swap my 33s for 35s. :wall:

7. 4wDakota

4wDakota
    Expand Collapse

35's are pretty hard on the IFS front of Durangos, they are just undersized. 35's wo't get you too much more on the trail. Stick with the 33's or crank the t-bars a little and run 34 x 12.50s

The rancho lift isn't that hard to install, it just takes a while. You can do it yourself and save some $$$

8. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse

do a sas man :bigthumb:

9. lifted-d

lifted-d
    Expand Collapse

If I stay with my 33s should I get the 4.10 or 4.56 gears? I was thinking 4.56 but it would drive better with some 35s.

10. 4wDakota

4wDakota
    Expand Collapse

4:10s with 33s

4.56s with 35s

Corey

11. lifted-d

lifted-d
    Expand Collapse

To install that Rancho lift, is it just bolt on or is there cutting and welding involved? I want more lift so bad I can taste it put money always has to get in the way of things. :wall:

12. 4wDakota

4wDakota
    Expand Collapse

Heree's a write up on it by foreXFour

http://claycdbj.com/page5.html

The instructions for the kit can be downloaded off the rancho site. For a 98 its not hard, its just time cunsuming. No welding required

:bigthumb:

13. fuel583

fuel583
    Expand Collapse

Hey lifted-d... I have a few questions for you about the lift.. How come u went with the rancho as opposed to the tuff country. Im looking to lift my girlfriends durango a little more after the body lift and we're trying to decide on either the rancho kit or the TC kit. How do you like the rancho kit and did u end up doing the install yourself? Do you have any pics of how much you had to trim the front fenders? Thanks man , Your truck loooks killer..

14. 96REDRAM

96REDRAM
    Expand Collapse

hey all, sori to just chime in here, but depending on how you plan on using your truck, i have 9.5 in suspension lift on my 98 durango, i have 3.92 gears, and a 318 with a few bolt ons,. its an awesome truck, not too great for hard trail riding, but its fun to play with. i'll put ups some pictures when i get off work today. FYI!!! its a pavement pounder 99% of the time, so dont get your panties in a bunch when you see it. i have had the lift on for a few months now, and no problems. and yes i'm running 35" Pro Comp X-terrains. i love these tires. oh yeah, i go to the river quite often with it, and i drive about 6 hundred miles with it, round trip and it honestly ride very well!!!!!

15. lifted-d

lifted-d
    Expand Collapse

The reason I went with the Rancho kit is that I had heard stories about things breaking on the Tuff Country lifts if you actually used it off-road. I wanted to actually use mine so I went with the Rancho. Only problem I've had is trying to find good enough brakes to stop the 35" tires, but Durango brakes suck anyway.

16. hawaii98dak

hawaii98dak
    Expand Collapse

i have a dakota with a 5.5 TC lift its a not bad lift some of the brackets need to be beafed up alittle to handle being abused when you buy the kit you'll know what i mean like the rear crossmember is made out of thin wall box i just mad mine out of a bigger peice and the lower bump stops cut them off and use limit straps the tend to get hung up on everything and theres a few outher stuff i did to the lift

as for power it shoud have more than enough power if you got at least a 318 or 360 and 3:92 gears to run 35's mines a daily driver and i have a 318 and 3:92's and i still spank some imports at the stop lights

hope this helps :bigthumb:

17. 96REDRAM

96REDRAM
    Expand Collapse

[img=250x143]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/710000-710999/710974_2.jpg[/img]

here's my durango, finally finished.

18. Rawkon

Rawkon
    Expand Collapse

same durango stock

[img=500x377]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/202000-202999/202345_73_full.jpg[/img]

19. 96REDRAM

96REDRAM
    Expand Collapse

Same Durango playin in the mud! :naughty: :naughty:

[img=250x187]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/710000-710999/710974_1.jpg[/img]

20. krweby

krweby
    Expand Collapse

Looks good.