Featured 98 dodge ram 440 big block swap

Discussion in 'Vehicle Build-Ups' started by SDram, Oct 28, 2009.

1. SDram

SDram New Member

i am currently in the prosess of swapping a 440 stroker into my 98 dodge ram.
    i also have just a 3 inch tough country spacer and block lift with 33 inch BFG mud terrains. soon to be locked and 4.56's :D

my stock piece.
    [​IMG]

day after i lifted it.
    [​IMG]

after a good wash sittin next to my other "project" haha
    [​IMG]

when i first got my 440. :wall:
    [​IMG]

half way through rebuilding it.
    [​IMG][hr]
    right after paint.
    [​IMG]

intake and carb on.
    [​IMG]

first atarting to pull the motor.
    [​IMG]

almost out.
    [​IMG]

finally out.
    [​IMG]

about to go in.
    [​IMG]

and finally in and bolted up just fired it up today. now i just need to cut my driveshafts and make my transfer case mounts
    [​IMG]

2. SmallTownRam

SmallTownRam New Member

hey what did you do for the motor mounts and did you use the stock trans ,did it bolt up or did you get an adapter plate

3. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

How do you expect to get it inspected? Its an OBDII vehicle and needs to be plugged in to pass. Or are you in a state where you dont inspect yearly?

4. SDram

SDram New Member

our state doesnt even inspect. and i used a 727 torqueflight out of a older ram. i custom fabbed my motor mounts and trans mount.

5. The Dude

The Dude Well-Known Member

Where do you live? I'm heading your way. Are you going to use an older transfer case too or can you use the stock unit? If so, did you find a drivers side drop. All Dodges pre-94 were passenger side drop and that would entail a front axle swap.

6. SDram

SDram New Member

im using the stock transfer case with a customs spline and custom mounts to my frame. its going to sit the same place as it did stock so i can use most of the stock components. and i live in rapid city, SD.

7. TexasRam

TexasRam New Member

Oklahoma does not do safety or emissions inspections either(although i don't know why anybody would want to live there) :dunno: . it is very common practice here to hear of someone running up the 3 hours to okc to register something there, then just do an out of state title here. that is how cars like skylines and other oversea's bought vehicles get into the u.s. and are made street legal.

8. SDram

SDram New Member

[​IMG]
    finally completely done.

[​IMG]
    and rims and tires.. they're a little small tho

[​IMG]
    sittin next to the jeep

9. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Well-Known Member

while a cool build, these are the exact things the greenies are looking for to shut us all down, if it was off road only then that's one thing but to use it on the road is illegal (against federal regulations even if not in your state)and you probably should not broadcast it for all of our sakes.

obama and his regime are paying back all the unions and groups that got him elected and the longer we can keep our heads down till they are out of office the better off we will be.

btw get rid of that air cleaner, they have terrible flow and rob power.

10. SDram

SDram New Member

big blocks are running around in plenty of cars. just because i put one in something that it doesnt origianlly come in isnt hurting anything.
    and i have a cuda that put down 650 at the wheels with the same air cleaner. they flow just like any others ive used.

11. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 Well-Known Member

it sure is hurting things, you are running no emissions equipment on the street and that is the type of things the lobbyists are trying to show as examples to the whitehouse to get them to crack down on all of us, street cars, pickups doesnt matter, the feral law is you cannot swap that motor in there with no emmissions equipment and run it on the street period, the fed DOT would have a field day with that thing if you get caught.

its the big political correct BS that they are using as leverage combined with the scare tactic of global warming/climate change is all part of their manipulation to try to put a end to all us hot rodders/offroaders and make us all have california emmissions.
    really i'm not against the build, i tip my hat to the effort it takes to do the swap,i am just saying that just to be on the safe side when you post a build like this you should at least claim its off road use only, sites like this one are being watched.

there was a whole thread about the anti-thrillcraft movement and its a real threat to all of us, you should check it out, it's some scary stuff how radical those lobbyists are.

that same air cleaner lost me 20hp in a 62 chevy vs a regular open element, its not much but in a close race(at the track ;) that little 20hp could be a factor

that cuda is pretty nice, i have a friend with two 71 cuda's ,one is a 1000 hp 340 coupe drag car(mostly fiberglass) that was featured in the summit calendar, and the other was a old sox & martin hemi convertible driven by herb mccandless and my dad has a 70 in vitamin c orange with a black vinyl top and parchment interior and a luggage rack(not seen many with a factory rack)

12. SDram

SDram New Member

i live in south dakota and ive had no problems yet with the DOT. ive actually been pulled over twice and the officer complimented me on the swap both times haha.
    and thanks on the compliment on the cuda. ive been building it for years. its just a 360 stroked to a 408 on a 300 shot of nitrous. its candy red and tubbed with a shortened dana 60. moser axle shafts, 4.88 gears, and a locker.

13. sonic

sonic New Member

Who cares? I think its a sweet build and it looks like he did very nice work! Thats the point of this thread after all isnt it? Job well done man and remember air force one isnt exactly the "greenest" mode of transpertation either. Why is there always someone on here that has to be negative?

14. Dodge4x4Texan

Dodge4x4Texan New Member

[Why is there always someone on here that has to be negative?
    [/quote]

your calling ken negative? :nono:he aint negative man he just has alot of good sense about this stuff that people should listen to or shits gunna hit the fan with this government we have.

15. olyelr

olyelr Well-Known Member

Negative? He complemented him on the swap and said it was a job well done. How the hell is that negative?

The legal "negative" issue he was talking about is just being smart. The more of this type of stuff that gets seen driven on the road, the sooner us "gear heads" will be stuck with off-road only (not street legal) rigs... literally.

To the OP, nice job btw. Hows she run?!?!?

16. sonic

sonic New Member

Im just sayin that the comments he made could have been in their own thread thats all. Start a complaint thread about people doing these types of mods if you want. Dont drill him about it. I didnt call him negative but he coulda just said hey nice build hows it run or something like that. Thats all.

17. SDram

SDram New Member

She runs amazing and she SCREAMS in the mud. i just tuned the carb. to the 250 shot of nitrous im running through her and havent had a chance to take it out much since that. Im also piecing together an 8 inch lift with a long arm kit, so pictures on that will be posted soon.

18. sonic

sonic New Member

well done bro! keep us postd!

19. varsis

varsis New Member

I would love to hear a video of that beast!

20. SDram

SDram New Member

alright so heres my plan on a new lift.

*BDS shackle flip
    *2 inch add-a-leafs
    *5 inch lift coils
    *3 inch coil spacers
    *homebrewed track bar drop bracket
    *homebrewed long arms (using dom tubing and ballistic rod ends)
    *homebrewed long arm brackets
    *crossover steering
    *skyjacker extreme drop pitman arm

keep in mind this is a low budget build. any ideas or comments are appreciated.
    and im also lookin for a new set of 40's and i have know idea what kind of tire has good road manners and does well off-road. so help with that would also be apreciated. thanks