Featured '96 GMC Sierra build up

Discussion in 'Two-Wheel Tech' started by Olbluesilverado, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Olbluesilverado

Olbluesilverado New Member

So with my needs in life changing (going back to school, new job, etc.), I came to the conclusion to sell my '83 K20 Chevy and my '93 DD Cadillac and buy a 2WD truck. This way it is easier for me to only feed one vehicle's needs but still have fun at the same time.

Enter: the purpose of this thread. I am the proud new owner of a 1996 GMC Sierra SLT. After about a month of endless searching, I came across the truck in the next town over; practically right under my nose.

Here are a few pics of it as it sits now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My goal is to make the truck a pratical DD while unleashing all of it's potential via a series of bolt on performance parts. After selling my K20 and the Cadillac, I estimate to have approximately $2,500 left over to play with after the cost of the truck.

My plans as of now are as follows:
    -Remove and sell the cap; IMO full truck caps look terrible.
    -Purchase/install hard or soft tonneau cover
    -Reverse the tires so that the white letters are showing instead of black walls; just a preference of mine.
    -Repair some rust starting at the bottom of the doors and cab.
    -Full exhaust system including a Magnaflow or Flowmaster American Thunder cat back system.
    -Free flowing catalytic converters and intermediate pipes from Magnaflow.
    -Edelbrock equal length headers.
    -K&N or Volant cold air intake.
    -Ported stock throttle body.
    -Aftermarket mass air flow sensor from JET Performance.
    -Computer reprogram

The truck has a factory towing package which included a 3:73 gear and a limited slip carrier with a transmission cooler so those are 3 less things I need to update.

Other mods I've considered (but only if I have some money left over):
    -2" suspension drop in front, 3-4" drop in rear.
    -Cowl induction or ram air style hood (for looks).
    -Electronic exhaust cutouts from Race Ready Performance.
    -Mickey Thompson E/T street tires for summer
    -Dual electric fans

The first mod I will be doing is the cat back system. I've narrowed my choices down to the Flowmaster or Magnaflow systems I've listed above. I'm looking for the freest flowing system with the best sound and the most longevity.

The Flowmaster system hits the wallet for a hair more than $400, while the Magnaflow system hurts a little more at about $550. Which would be a better choice?

2. Bowtieboy

Bowtieboy New Member

Looks like a nice truck!

I have a 97 Reg Cab, short box with a few things done to it. Im runnin a 2" 4" Belltech drop on it. Was the best money I ever spent on the truck IMO:bigthumb:. Also I have a K&N intake on it as well, noticed a big diff when I put it on.

[​IMG]

3. Olbluesilverado

Nice :bigthumb:

I like the old school look of yours. If you don't mind me asking, how much coin did you spend on the drop? And what all is involved in installing a drop? I didn't want to go crazy and have to buy new spindles.

4. Bowtieboy

Bowtieboy New Member

[/quote]

Nice :bigthumb:

I like the old school look of yours. If you don't mind me asking, how much coin did you spend on the drop? And what all is involved in installing a drop? I didn't want to go crazy and have to buy new spindles.
    [/quote]

Thanks, its been about 4 years since I put it on. I went with Belltech, dropped spindles front and shackle/hanger rear. Go with the spindles hands down. You dont lose anything that way, camber stays the same and all. They are quite reasonably priced. I did all the work myself, and willl guestemate I did it all including shocks for $750 cdn. It may seem alot, but that was when the Canadian dollar was pretty low.

As for installing it, the spindles were a direct swap in. You need a special socket for the front shocks, but mine stripped so we just cut em off. As for the rear I used a air chisel/ grinder on the front hangers, the new ones bolt on. It is very tight on the driver side b/c of the gas tank, but it can be done. Depending on what conditions your truck has seen the spring bolts may come out. We just ended cuttin em and changing the bushings.

5. Olbluesilverado

What exhaust/other mods have you done to it?

6. Bowtieboy

Bowtieboy New Member

Its just a 4.3, well more like blown up 4.3 now. As for mods i have a gutted cat, 3" exhaust with a dynomax ultra flow muffufler, JBA shorty headers. B&M shift improver( electronic dealy that changes the firmness), Powertrax no slip in the back axle. I removed a restrictor plate out of the throttle body, dont know if it did anything though:D.

All in all it woke the truck up pretty good for a bunch of bolt ons.

7. 2WDF150Str8_6

2WDF150Str8_6 New Member

Nice truck, I was looking for one of those when I stumbled into my F150 lol. Cant wait to see her done

8. Olbluesilverado

Thanks guys. I've had several people come and look at my Caddy and the Silverado but no one serious yet. As soon as they both go, then let the mods begin!

9. 2WDF150Str8_6

2WDF150Str8_6 New Member

good luck on your sales man

10. Olbluesilverado

So which exhaust system should I get; Magnaflow or [/i]Flowmaster?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-15750/?image=large

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17470/?image=large

11. 2WDF150Str8_6

2WDF150Str8_6 New Member

I suggest Magnaflow because Flowdisasters dont flow good at all, and the chambered sound is just plain old, just my two cents though

12. Olbluesilverado

I bought my exhaust system yesterday. I ended up going with Flowmaster since the Magnaflow system would have totaled $587.00 compared to $430.00. It should be in in about 4-5 days.

Tomorrow I would like to order a drop kit for the rear. Do I need a 2' or 3' drop shackle to level out the rear of the rear of the truck?

13. 2WDF150Str8_6

2WDF150Str8_6 New Member

Ah thats cool. Yeah Magnaflows are overpriced, Thats why Im doing a 2 1/4" true dual exhaust, x pipe and 2 Jones glasspacks all for $180 lol. I think a 2" drop will level it, most trucks the rear sits about 2" higher so I dont see why the Sierra would be any different. I cant wait for new pics man, be sure to post them.

14. Olbluesilverado

Thanks. I ordered these shackles from Belltech http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-6400/?image=large. They will be in tomorrow, but I am going to wait and do them and the cat back system at the same time.

15. 2WDF150Str8_6

2WDF150Str8_6 New Member

sounds good, I would go that route if I were to lower my F150, Im tossed up over lifting and lowering

16. Olbluesilverado

The way I look at it is you don't gain anything by lifting a 2wd truck; it's still 2 wheel drive. By lowering it, you'll at least see some improvements in handling and aerodynamics.

That was my reasoning because I almost chose to put a 2" coil spacer up front.

17. Bowtieboy

Bowtieboy New Member

I just ran the belltech drop shackles in the rear b4 i did the full drop. It should level it out just fine. I would recomend a good set of rear drop shocks though. It was a night and day difference between the stockers and doetsch tech shocks that I put on.

18. 2WDF150Str8_6

2WDF150Str8_6 New Member

Yeah I hear you, well if I do lift it I will take if mudding lol, I never mud alone anyway so someone will haul me out lol

19. Olbluesilverado

What kind of shocks? I was actually eventually considering Edelbrock's or Koni's all around.

20. 2WDF150Str8_6

2WDF150Str8_6 New Member

Edelbrock makes damn good shocks, m buddy has some on his truck and they work real good.