1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

95 Ram V10 and 3/4 ton axle swap

Discussion in 'Vehicle Build-Ups' started by Bluefish, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Bluefish

Bluefish
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the forum and only have a couple posts, but I'm hoping people will be interested in the work I am doing to my 95 Dodge Ram. I have had the truck for less than a month, I got it in trade for my 89 Bronco II! I have always loved Dodge, and my first vehicle was an 89 Ramcharger that I will always miss; we had some good times together.

My Ram came with 33" Toyo Open Country MT's (like new and for sale), a 318, 5-speed (I think it was originally auto) and it appears to have a 3" spacer lift. Downshifting for every hill got lame quick, so I researched my options, and found a complete donor truck in the form of a 95 Ram 2500 with a V10, NV4500 5-speed, Dana 60 front/70 rear, and an exploded transfer case. The axle gear ratios are 3.55, same as what my truck came with. I am hoping the lower gearing in the NV4500 and added power will give it a good balance.

This is what it looked like when I got it
    [​IMG]

The V10 and NV4500 trans
    [​IMG]

NP241DLD transfer case, sitting next to the cracked one from my parts truck
    [​IMG]

318 ready to come out
    [​IMG]

Its out!
    [​IMG]

Begging for more cylinders
    [​IMG]

Thats it for today! More pics to come tomorrow!

2. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a good start. Definitely will make it have much more power!

You may want to re-gear to 4.10's with those 33's in the future. It will still help the tranny live longer. If you ever go to a bigger tire, you will need 4.56 or 4.88 gears. so think about that also. So you can do it all at once.

3. Bluefish

Bluefish
    Expand Collapse

Im going to be running 35's. The tranny is an NV4500 5-speed manual, with a 1st gear ratio of 5.61:1. I was hoping that would get me going well enough, but I can get my hands on a d60/70 combo with 4.10's for $750. Should I most definitely go with those?!

4. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

If your going to run 35's you will want 4.10's at least. i would jump on those if you had the chance.

5. sicram

sicram
    Expand Collapse

looking good so far man

6. Bluefish

Bluefish
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys! I will do my best to jump on those axles.

I will post some more pics when I make some more progress!

7. Bluefish

Bluefish
    Expand Collapse

The v10 swap is 95% done! Here are some pics. Today I installed the radiator and hooked some more stuff up. All thats left is the exhaust, tcase and some other wires, but so far the only thing thats given me trouble was an a/c line that wasnt as long as I'd like, still fit though. Pretty straightforward swap, although it helps that I had a complete v10 parts truck to start with.

I picked up some 3/4 ton 4.10 axles last week. Going to throw those on after I fire up the v10 and finish with the engine.

I'll take some more pics when the engine swap is 100% complete!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. dodgethis12

dodgethis12
    Expand Collapse

I pm'd you about your half ton stuff..... get back to me!

9. silvers_13

silvers_13
    Expand Collapse

So what did you do for a transfer case? Did you have to get another one from a v10?

10. Bluefish

Bluefish
    Expand Collapse

Yup, found another v10 5 speed truck being parted out a couple hours away and went and pulled the tcase myself. np241dld.. lets hope this one doesnt break!

This thing is heavy! I failed at my first attempt at installing it with a floor jack, not sure what to try next but I'll think of something.

11. mopar

mopar
    Expand Collapse

trans jack works well thats what i used for my np205

12. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

put it on a pallet, put the jack underneath and use jack stands on the corners to balance

13. olyelr

olyelr
    Expand Collapse

Moving right along :bigthumb:

That dosnt happen to be a short box regular cab does it? :D

14. Bluefish

Bluefish
    Expand Collapse

Yup :)
    [​IMG]

New pics, almost finished.. V10 fits the engine bay much better than the V8 did!
    [​IMG]

2nd attempt at installing the tcase.. got it in, then noticed I had forgotten the gasket between the trans and tcase. Oops.. I guess I get to do it again tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw
    Expand Collapse

Mmmmmm V10... Shortbox...

16. dodgethis12

dodgethis12
    Expand Collapse

Get back to me on that DS!! :) Progress looks good!

17. Bluefish

Bluefish
    Expand Collapse

Lol.. sorry man keep forgetting to look at it! When I go down to the shop its like I have tunnel vision.. I just go to work. I'll check it out today!

18. jeepflexitude

jeepflexitude
    Expand Collapse

Any new updates? Sounds like the swap wasnt too bad. Do you any idea how much harder it would be to swap a v10/auto into a v8/auto truck? My tranny is about to go out, and been looking to do a v-10 swap as well. But it sounds like with a complete truck it should be pretty easy?

19. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

I found a few V10s from Pirate that I am getting ready to swap into my 1998 V8. Not trying to hijack the thread, but provided that you have a majority of the donor close to the same year, it should go relatively well. I'm watching this thread closely to see what changes I need to be prepared for. Can't wait for him to get to wiring!!

20. Bluefish

Bluefish
    Expand Collapse

So far the only complication I am having is that since my truck is a short box, the v10 exhaust doesn't clear the gas tank. Other than that, just make sure you get an engine and transmission from the same year donor truck as your truck. Through the years there were differences, like around 98 or 99 they switched to obdII.
    The best advice I can give is get a complete donor truck of the same year and drivetrain configuration. My truck is a 95 4x4 5-speed, so I got a donor truck that is also 95 4x4 5-speed.
    As for the wiring, I think I'm done.. Im hoping it works, and this is what I did: v10 computer, engine wiring harness.. done. That includes all the wiring and vacuum lines that go down to the trans and tcase, the battery leads and connectors, wiring to fuse box and starter.. I also had to swap fuel lines, but only from the frame rail up to the engine.
    Another annoying thing about the v10's is their dual catalytic converter setup. My donor truck had true dual exhaust, but its rusty, and does not quite fit past my gas tank on the driver side. I also spent a couple hours wrestling with the air injection tube, at least I think thats what its called. Its a metal tube that runs from the air pump down between the frame rail and the body mount, and back to the cats. It was a pain. Looks like I may need custom exhaust.. Anyone know what sounds good on these trucks? I want to run either a dual in dual out muffler, or dual in single out. I heard that without a crossover between the two sides, true dual exhaust on a v10 sounds stupid...