1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

80's K10 Suspension Lift

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by estshrrdnck725, Apr 28, 2007.

1. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

Hi, I'm thinking about buying my buddy's K10 and I got a question. I'm definetly going to lift it, but do any of y'all have good lift ideas for this type of truck? Like what looks best. I was looking at a 8" lift, so what size tires should I be able to fit under that? This is my first Chevy truck and I don't know 'em like I do Fords. Thanks for your help.

2. dgt

dgt
    Expand Collapse

8 inch lift isnt too big but not to small. AN 8 inch system tends to be extremely stiff. So if you plan on any articulation or a smooth ride you may want to think of going down to a 6 inch or a 4 inch softride system. tuff country comes to mind for chap price with a smooth ride.

You will also need to have your d shafts reworked and a pinion angle change wouldnt hurt. As for the rear if possible try to stay away from blocks. You will discover a ton of axle wrap and it is possible to spit a block on the trail. ask redlinebk on here it happend to him recently. If you have the cash a system lift is a great way to go. This means you pruchase springs front and rear instead of rear blocks. Other options for the rear would be a shackle flip and add a leaf. Cheaper than a system lift but imo better than a block lift.

Considering the truck is a half ton with weak axles it would be wise to start off with a smaller tire. nothing larger than a 35!! You will spend more time broken on the trails than wheeling.

This info is a little vauge. If you can elaborate with your intentions of your build up and any other plans you have for it. It would make it easyer to help ya out.

:bigthumb:

3. theshortbus

theshortbus
    Expand Collapse

for a better ride 6" springs front. 2"springs and a shackle flip rear. and the 6" is a lot for the stock drive shafts. 6" with good body mounts will clear 35"-36" tires nice. but them tires won't make your 10 bolts happy.

4. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

OK, I got a couple details today, just got off the phone with the owner. The truck is 1985 C-10, not a K-10. It has a 94-95 (new at the time) 350 and transmission. It has a problem with the choke but it's going to be fixed. I'm starting to think about going with a 6" lift now, because cops are starting to get really strict now under the new sheriff, about 15 trucks got pulled over after school the other day. Anyways, I want a lift that can git me through some serious mud and is still not half bad on the highway and I want a 3" body lift, so how much extra tire size will that give me? Thanks for your help.

5. Rmayer

Rmayer
    Expand Collapse

if its a c10, its 2wd.

6. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

The truck is a K-10, I realized that after looking for parts. The owner just called it an '85 Silverado. He wants $1500 for it and the motor has around 65k miles on it. I think I'm just gonna put on a 6" lift. But if I put on the 4" suspension and 3" body lift, what size tires will I be able to fit, 35s? I'm not really worried about lift law because putting a 6" and 35s on gets the bumper height to a little under the limit. I just didn't want to go with the 8".

7. dgt

dgt
    Expand Collapse

Josh your crazy! How the hell are you fitting a 35 with only 4 inches of lift? I rubbed on the street with that combo!! With my 4 inch suspension and 3 inch body. 7 inches total Ive still hit fender offroad with my old 35's. (I dont have bumpstops...but still!)

Rule of thumb is usually 4" to clear 33's and 6" to clear 35's. 4" suspension and 3" body (7 inches) Should clear a 36 with proper wheel backspacing. My 37's on 7" lift rubs bad!

In my own humble opinion. I think you would be better off running a 6 inch soft ride lift with, as I previously mentioned leafs or a shackle flip for the rear instead of blocks and 35x12.50 tires. Your axles are weak and will have a tough time handling anything larger than 35's. Even with 35's you can expect some breakage offroad. I have 37's on a 44hd front axle and 14 bolt Full float and I constantly break my front end. (balljoints, axleshafts, spiders, u joints, wheelbearrings) I am currently running 4 inch suspension and 3 inch body. I hate it. I am ditching it for a 6 inch leaf. That doesnt mean that combo wont work for you but thats my input.

:bigthumb:

8. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I've been looking around and I found a 10" lift from Superlift. What size tires could I fit under there? I was thinking 40s or maybe 42s. I was thinking today and I could always fab out a bumper, like what I was going to do with my old truck. Or should I just not go with the lift because it would be more money involving axle reinforcement? Thanks for the help.

9. dgt

dgt
    Expand Collapse

Like I already said.. :poke: I would highly not recomend putting anything larger than a 35 on those axles. If you want to go that large look into a dana 60 front and a 14 bolt full float rear. Your eyes are thinking bigger than your knowlage here. Your asking for trouble.

10. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

Yup, I thought so. I think I'm gonna leave the big lifts for when I get my 3/4 Ton truck when I'm older. So I'll just get a 6" suspension lift, 35x12.5x15 tires, 15x10 rims, bunch of visuals (hood, lights, new radio), and a paint job.

11. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I noticed y'all were talking about what systems worked best for the area you live in/ type of offroading you do. This truck I'm buying will be used primarily for highway/rural area driving during the summer with quite a bit of mudding, just running it through a mud pit. During the fall-spring, it will be used for light farm work and some occasional mudding as well as highway driving. So should I not have to worry about popping a lift block as much as someone that does a lot of trailriding should, or shold I still be concerned about it? The same goes for any other problems mentioned.

12. MuddinManny

MuddinManny
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

Not to throw a monkey wrench into it, but here is my 83 K10.

Bought it this way: 8" Superlift suspension lift, springs front, 4" blocks rear. 15x39.5x15 Iroks'. No rubbing, no issue with the front or rear drive shafts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the majority of work-up:

10" Swamp Runner Superlift suspension, springs all way around, no blocks.15x39.5x17 TSL's, 60/14BFF. Swapping in 205, drive lines will need to be extended, via Jesse at High Angle Driveline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So you can see the height difference head on:

OLD:

[​IMG]

NEW:

[​IMG]

I guess I'm old school. I don't try to fit as much tire as can under the minimal lift. Not that I'm saying others do it wrong. I just like the look of a big truck, and since I'm only into MUD and trails, I don't have to worry about rock issues. Your purpose will dictate more into what kind of lift you use that the lift kit itself. The lift will be the product of your usage. JMHO.

If you're going to lift, go all spring. Stay away from lift blocks. You'll thank me later. If you're serious about MUDDIN' go with the 8" kit. You're going to want that body up as high as you can go. With the 10 inch, I don't belly out until I'm 38" deep in gumbo. That's awesome, which probably means an awesome, but long yanking stuck too! Oh well, photo shoot opportunity :D:

Manny

13. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

Oh Lord! You just screwed me all up. I mean the lift cost is not an issue, unless its a Skyjacker, they are too expensive. Our kind of mudding over on The Shore is straight mud pit, or anywhere mud can be found. We do have a couple bottomless pits and one of my friends buried his F150 to the top of his 38s.

14. MuddinManny

MuddinManny
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the statements above about running anything larger than a 35" on 10 bolts. You're asking for trouble. If you seriously want to run 37's and up, you will need to go to a D60/14BFF combo. If you choose to stay with 10B right now, raid the junk yards and snag up as many front and rear axle shafts as you can and keep them as spares. You'll need them.

As for the rear axle, I'd upgrade to a 14BFF right now. You can get them pretty reasonable at $150-$200 and are a direct bolt in. Go FF, free-floater, as if you break a shaft, and that's hard to do, you can still drive the truck as the hub supports the wheel, not the axle like in a semi-floater, ie: 14BSF.

I'm liking the thought of an 8" kit for you. Will give plenty of room and won't look ridiculous with 35/36's.

Research your lifs and make a plan. Once you've planned your work, work your plan and stick to it.

Check BDS Suspensions for their lifts too. They have good stuff!

Manny

15. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

Thanks bud. I'm constantly reworking the plan just about every time I talk to people or get online. I'm gonna look into the new axles and if I can afford it, it's gonna happen. My dad is gonna help me on this project and I think he wants the truck more than I do. I think it makes him feel a whole lot younger, when he could use all of his money on his trucks. Thanks for your help.

16. mudmonkey

mudmonkey
    Expand Collapse

8" lift with 39.5's and no rubbing, eh? Did you do anything with the truck other than drive it to the mall?

Here is mine with 10" of lift and 38.5's (that only measured 37"). The front wouldn't rub with the tires going straight, but they would really chew on the front fender if I turned them. I could mash my fenders with the 35's on too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. MuddinManny

MuddinManny
    Expand Collapse

Mudmonkey,

I bought the truck that way. They never rubbed but I didn't push the truck off road because I new that they would and that the 10 bolts wouldn't last a lick. That's why I went with the 10 inch kit which makes a world of difference. I would never run 39's with an 8" myself. Highest I'd go is 37's. So I agree with you. I never told anyone they can fit 39's with 8" of lift.

Manny

18. Tyler0wnsy0u

Tyler0wnsy0u
    Expand Collapse

The way i'm running my k5, 8" with 36's but i will be running 8" with 38.5's in the near future, you can run 6" with 35's 8" with 37/38's Just cut the fenders out its an older chevy im sure it's rotted anyway lol... And :withstupid: Do not run anything over 35's with those 10 bolts.

19. Tyler0wnsy0u

Tyler0wnsy0u
    Expand Collapse

And FYI, My friend is running 38.5's on 4" lift on a k5, Just :hack: the hell out of your fenders.

20. estshrrdnck725

estshrrdnck725
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I got 'er. I'm gonna do the D60/14BFF combo, 8" lift, 38" tires. Maybe some lockers later and I'm gonna paint it either fire engine red or candy apple red. I will post pics prebuild, midbuild, and finsished product. Just need to do some junkyarding for the 14 Bolt. I'm thinking about putting a power steering system on the truck, is that a good idea?