1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

8 cylinder Cummins!

Discussion in 'The Brothel' started by swirvin21, Mar 3, 2010.

1. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

Thought you guys would like to get a chance to buy a very rare 8 cylinder Cummins in Arkansas. Considering the torque on a I6, I couldn't begin to imagine an 8 cyl.

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/ctd/1625450212.html

2. steved

steved
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes:

Its a generic form that gets filled out, happens all the time...the picture is a 5.9CTD.

3. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a 6 banger to me :)

4. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

I know, it's just really hard to get sarcasm across in text form! Makes me wonder how well it was really cared for when the owner doesn't know how many cylinders it has!

5. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

i gotcha! you would be suprised at how many people done know that a cummins is only a 6 cylinder, and alot think its 8 because ford/chevy diesels are based on a gas motor with 8.

6. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

Why would one say the Ford or GM V8 diesels are based on gas engines? Because they are V8s?

Newsflash: Detroit, Caterpillar, Cummings, and many others all produce V8 diesels, too.

Likewise, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, etc., etc., have all produced inline 6-cylinder gassers over the course of the last 100 years.

So by the logic that Ford and GM's diesels are converted gassers, I guess it's logical to say the B-series of Cummings engines are based on the old Ford 226 inline-6 from the '40s, right?

7. mopar

mopar
    Expand Collapse

zac ... you never learn .... this is a dodge site

8. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

Wrong. They are based off the old 6.5 that chevrolet joint-ventured with detroit on (which was a converted gasser by the way). At least on the duramax (which is crap, solely because Isuzu makes it; they don't make anything good because they're a jap company, right?). The powerstroke was based off a 444 cu. in. gas motor found in the early trans ams. I know, I had the original Burt Reynolds/Jerry Reed bandit car that said "444 cu. in. International" on the top of it. It was a sweet car, too. It even ran on an inline injection pump, just like the "D Series" cuminns engines; plus it was able to run on 87 octane. Pretty freakin sweet.

Plus, they combust their fuel in the same was a gas engines do. So they HAVE to be based off gas motors. At least that's what my Chilton's manual says. :dunno:

9. cj ford

cj ford
    Expand Collapse

soo many people who need to pull their heads out of their a$$es around here .. if you have no idea don't open your mouth

guess all the 4cyl diesel motors in equipment are converted gassers as well

10. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

No, they were originally 8 cylinder diesels with the block split in the middle. They could double production that way.

11. RamAford

RamAford
    Expand Collapse

that was just a generalized statement. :flipoff: i said alot of people think that. i know the difference but your average "joe" has no idea. they just see the powerstroke V8 badge on the side of hte truck and assume that.

12. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

6.5 was never a converted gasser, it was a bored out 6.2 and that was designed as a diesel from the beginning by detroit,in 1992 through 1993 detroit bored out the 6.2 599 block to make the 6.5, the 94-02 6.5 was designed and cast by gm with weaker castings.
    the oldsmobile 5.7 dx diesel was designed after the gasser(same block and crank just heavier casting)and can be used as one by swapping heads and pistons

13. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

Should I rename the title of this thread???

I don't believe any of the manufacturers picked out a V8 gas engine and asked their R&D departments to convert it to diesel. However, I do believe they asked their engineers to utilize as many of the currently in production components as possible to keep down costs. Manufacturers have been recycling molds into new models for years, it doesn't surprise me at all to think they took a gasser block and made it into a diesel, but it doesn't make it a converted gas engine.

14. ZacD

ZacD
    Expand Collapse

A Dodge-concentric site or not, erroneous information is erroneous information.

As Ken stated, the only "converted" or gasoline-based engine I've ever known of or come across in my 34 years on this planet is/was the Oldsmobile 5.7 liter diesel.

I have had Cummins lovers (not so much Dodge lovers as they were loyal to the powerplant) tell me that the 6.9 IDI, 7.3 IDI, 7.3 turbo IDI and 7.3 Powerstroke (turbo DI) engines were all "460s converted to diesel.

That's completely baseless and ridiculous.

15. Jason

Jason
    Expand Collapse

I think this whole post has a bunch of sarcasm, as well as people's "actual" thoughts (wether they are true or not), so let's clear the record. My entire first post was sarcasm. Hence the "they're a jap company" comment. As for Ken's insight, that was cool as I never knew that before. My sentences on that subject were sarcasm as well.

Even the "split V8 block" comment was fictional was well.

16. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

We need to have Boss add a "sarcasm" font or smiley face to the armament.....