78 bronco buggy build

Discussion in 'Vehicle Build-Ups' started by thedave, Jun 3, 2007.

1. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

I haven't been on here much in the last year or so, been working on my project. It's a 78 bronco frame with a propane powered 351m, c-6 trans, and np-208 transfercase connected to a dana 44 front and a 14 bolt rear. Gearing is 4.56 with detroits on both ends. Current tires are 38 swampers. I built a tube body on top and am working on finishing that now. When done it'll be a 4 seater.

what I started with: [​IMG]

where i'm at now: [​IMG]

2. NCRamin

NCRamin
    Expand Collapse

nice looks like alot of hard work...but it def looks good

3. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse

subscribe: :bigthumb:

I am a bronco nut :silly:

4. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

thanks. Hey your rig looks familiar, didn't you do a post on your buggy build on pirate a while back? I think you were one of my inspirations to actually do this project :cuss:

5. Nick

Nick
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that was/is me :D: Its still a WIP :D: Good luck with the build. Ill keep up with it. :bigthumb:

6. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

got a little done, cut off the foward 6" of the frame and mocked the front bumper into place. I also mocked the tank into place, hopefully i'll get the mounts for that built tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CJW

CJW
    Expand Collapse

Looking good. Gives me inspiration to work on mine. I like what you did with the hood in the first pic. :rotfl: Those things are a bitch to see over.

Cameron

8. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

yeah it looked a little odd but definately improved the visibility. Real easy to do

9. quick10ss

quick10ss
    Expand Collapse

damn nice shop to work in. buggy is looking good :bigthumb:

10. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

only had a little bit of time today, so I tack welded my tank mount together.

[​IMG]

Cut the plate to length but it's a little flimsy for the weight of the tank

[​IMG]

a couple pieces of angle iron add a lot of strength

[​IMG]

mount the brackets and braces and done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. NicksRam4x4

NicksRam4x4
    Expand Collapse

do you plan on doing something differant with the suspension? your coils in the front seem to be crooked

12. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

eventually i'll do something different with the suspension, but for the moment I'm just trying to get the truck runing again. The reason the springs look crooked is because they are soft springs and bow out at the middle.

13. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

it's a 4 seater now :D:

mounts are built

[​IMG]

seats are installed

[​IMG]

and part of the floor

[​IMG]

i'm not completely thrilled with the headroom in the back but i'm not too concerned as the rear is mainly going to be for the dogs anyways.

[​IMG]

14. quick10ss

quick10ss
    Expand Collapse

looking good. are you going to put sheet metal on it or you gonna leave it exposed?

15. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

i'm gonna skin it, I like stickers and will need somewhere to put them :cool::

16. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

I was finally able to get back to it and got a few more things accomplished.

First off I decided I didn't like the car seats in the buggy so I got 4 racing seats to set in place. That mean redoing all of the rear bracketry but I ended up with better seats, more headroom, and about the same legroom.

[​IMG]

I also got the transmission shifter installed

[​IMG]

and cut off all the unneeded brackets on the front end

[​IMG]

Finally, I cut up some posterboard and made up some templates for the skin.

[​IMG]

17. BlueDodgeRam

BlueDodgeRam
    Expand Collapse

why not triangulate the tube work more instead of lots of squares? it would really make the chassis stronger in rollovers, etc. triangles are stronger than squares.

other than that looks like itll be a fun rig. :bigthumb:

18. NicksRam4x4

NicksRam4x4
    Expand Collapse

i agree it looks like something the Clampetts would drive around beverlyhills in... less square patterns. that triangular peice by the door could be run all the way up to the back of the cage. i have to break out photo shop gimme a sec.... lol

19. thedave

thedave
    Expand Collapse

I'd be interested in seeing your photoshop, helpful advice is always welcomed. This is my first project along thse lines and I've already figured out a bunch of things i'd do different next time around.

I'm limited with what I can do on the back end being as the curves of the tube don't match up well with the end of the framerails. My thinking is for the moment i'm going to leave it as is and eventually cut off the back few feet of frame and 4 link it.

If the squares you two are referring to are the tubes between the front and rear seats then i'm not hugely worried about them structurally. The body angles in there and is fairly well protected against impacts.

With the cardboard skins on the one area i'm not sure I like is the front seat V. It makes visibility and climbing in easier but I'm wondering if it would look better with a horizontal bar evening up the lines.

20. NicksRam4x4

NicksRam4x4
    Expand Collapse

i love the new seats btw. you're right we cant see what you're seeing and i am sure the body lines/frame lines are a b!tch to follow. i would maybe take a look at a few tube buggies that were converted from either blazers or broncos and get an idea of how they triangulate the frame work so you use less tube and add strength to the cage itself. i think if you incorporate a stinger/hoop and winch mount in the front that should really finish the look for the front.. its the back half where the tube work gets a bit excessive IMO. cutting and 4 linking the rear would look awsome. the hole truck is turning out great.