1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

6 INCH FABTECH LIFT FOR 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by DIXIEDIRT, Jan 30, 2005.

1. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

my friend and me and a few of our buddies are putting a 6 inch fabtech lift on a 2003 2500 hd duramax 6 speed extended cab 4x4 with 35x12.50x18 bfg mud terrains, does anyone here run this fabtech lift, it has been really easy putting it on and i like the fit and finish of it.

2. friedyardbird

friedyardbird
    Expand Collapse

Getting the Fabtech lift for my truck in a week. I think it's the same kit.

Wish I had access to a shop but, I don't so... It's costing me $725 for the install.

3. jroutlaw0803

jroutlaw0803
    Expand Collapse

Fabtech stuff is killer i think easiest ive ever installed ,just put a 4 inch kit on my superduty str8 up bolt on ,,Easy as hell,not sure on the chevy kit but im sure its pretty easy to maybe u could find a few buddies and save u the install price,, :hack:

4. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

DO NOT GET THE DUAL SHOCK BRACKET!!!!! the dual shock bracket for the chevy hd is junk, it dont fit what so ever, the 2 tubes that bolt to the frame fit fine but the 2 struts that bolt to the upper control arm mounting points that keep the tube from flexing dont match up what so ever, there is like 3/4 of an inch of space and they are crooked, they would need metal spacers and welded to make them right, if you lived in ohio man we would do it for 500 or less easily

5. friedyardbird

friedyardbird
    Expand Collapse

Thanx man... I used to be close (Indiana). Didn't get the dual shock set-up anyway. I plan to fab up a bracket for it myself...

6. 1TONHD

1TONHD
    Expand Collapse

Did you install that dual shock setup or leave it off?

F-bird, you can install that kit in your driveway with a few jackstands and jacks, its would be a pain but it can be done, plan a sat. and sun. to do it.

7. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse

The Fabtech kit is made by RCD, but is not the same. The RCD kit maintains geometry throughout its travel much better than the Fabtech.

Given the choice, I'd definitely choose the RCD, especially since it comes with Bilstein shocks custom valved for every application.

8. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

yeah we went ahead and put it on cause he felt it was stable enough, the truck is a pavement queen anyways. he thought about the rcd one too

9. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse

Road queen = even more critical to have good parts that maintain geometry.

10. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

good point

11. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse

Either way the Fabtech kit is a much better kit than a Rancho, Explorer Pro-Comp, etc. The Fabtech is a copy of the RCD kit, manufactured by RCD (similar, but not the same).

12. BigXBear

BigXBear
    Expand Collapse

that is true for NBS chevy trucks FABTECH AND RCD are the way to go for the OBS its dick cepek and Rancho. I was goin to get the RCD kit for my truck Till i realized i have to spend a {expletive}laod of more money on new hubs. Because the dame Abs sensor and crap was on a piece you take off. So that sucked. hehe thiunk it was teh spindle or soemthing

13. Tim

Tim
    Expand Collapse

Rancho is garbage no matter what it is for. They are market hype, and have been since day one. Their shocks are garbage and somehow, EVERYONE knows, recognizes, and thinks Rancho shocks are something special. They're not...they're the same garbage you buy at the parts store, with a fancy boot and a sticker.

The Fabtech kits are a re-make of the RCD kit as I stated earlier, but they do not reach the quality of the RCD's engineering by any stretch of the imagination. They're also pretty similar in pricing. It's a no brainer to me that if you're looking at the Fabtech you need to look again at RCD.

Dick Cepek isn't anything wonderful in my opinion either. Mickey Thompson sold that line of suspensions to a guy that runs an offroad shop in Texas. They're built in some guy's garage....not exactly the quality I'd expect in such a product, especially at the price.

The RCD kit is hands down the best IFS kit available for any application that it is offered for. Nowhere but from RCD can you get the custom valved Bilstein shocks that are offered in that kit. You may think you're getting the same thing elsewhere, but you're not.

It's the difference between something that is designed to work as a new suspension system and the other kits that are designed only to raise the ride height. IFS isn't that wonderful to begin with but a hack job of a suspension lift certainly doesn't make it any better.

You will always get what you pay for and those customers that want the absolute best will go with the RCD kit without question. It's a great value considering the price competes even with the cheap kits and the product that you get is worth significantly more than I or other retailers charge for it.

14. BigXBear

BigXBear
    Expand Collapse

i dunno tim Your right about the rancho shocks but the lift isnt to shabby. RCD is a very well made and machined kit but for OBS trucks its alot of hassle to get it installed and that they dont mention in the isntallation at all. But i do see your point

15. DIXIEDIRT

DIXIEDIRT
    Expand Collapse

i dont like chevys and i hate workin on them but that seems like its all i work on, i couldnt tell you the difference between all the lifts never dealt with them but i liked this one except the dual shock hoops

16. Redbeard

Redbeard
    Expand Collapse

BigXBear, I've talked with Ken at RCD and he sent me the install instructions for their OBS Chevy kit. I can't remember if I read this in the instructions or he told me, but I recall the kit will not work on vehicles equipped with spindle mounted front ABS sensor, as RCD replacement spindles are developed off of 1995 and later hub mounted ABS system.

I'm considering their kit for my 95 Yukon, so I need to make sure my ABS sensor is on the hub.