1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

33x12.5R15 vs 285/75R16 on Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Tires/Wheels' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 2, 2003.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER
    Expand Collapse

I'm asking this because I was recently offered a set of 15x8 American Racing Outlaws for very cheap. Like silly cheap. :silly: Kinda has me thinking. My original intention was to put some 285/75R16's on the factory rims, and eventually pick up some 16x8's. Now I'm thinking run some 33x12.5R15's with the 15x8's. I'm basically seeing that I could end up with a set of the 33's and the rims for less than the set of 285/75R16's.

Any advantages or disadvantages to either tire/wheel combo?

The 285's would be slightly taller, but over an inch narrower. They would also be Load Range D, not the C all 33's seem to have. I don't tow or haul much, so I'm not to worried about that.

Either way, it'll be better than the P265/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S's on the Ram now. 37,000 miles on them, but the first rotation was at 33,000 when I rotated them after I got them. :silly: Tires will be some kind of mud terrain, probably Coopers or Wild Countries.

2. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

What's the back spacing...If I were offered a good deal, I'd take it. Other than load rating, I have no idea....

3. BadAssBlueSport

BadAssBlueSport
    Expand Collapse

i ve got 305/70/16's on my stock rims, they only rub just a tad at full turn whlie flexin.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER
    Expand Collapse

a$$uming they are American Racing Outlaws (not sure I or II), the only backspacing any of the 15x8's with 5x5.5" spacing have is 3.75".

5. BadAssBlueSport

BadAssBlueSport
    Expand Collapse

oh the tires r 305/70/16 wrangler AT/S's :bigthumb:

6. DRED

DRED
    Expand Collapse

I've got those same tires, and they used to be on my stock rims... are you running some kind of lift that keeps them from rubbing much?... wheel spacers?... when it was stock, I couldn't turn much more than 3/4 without them rubbing like mad on the control arms...

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah, I'm not as worried about rubbing, as I'll be putting a 2" lift on probably the day before the tires/wheels go on.

BadAss, I dunno if the 305's on your 16x7's and the setups I talked about are that similar. The 33's and 15x8's would stick out at least another 1.5" than your setup because of the differences in rim width and backspacing, and the 285's are about an inch narrower.

8. DRED

DRED
    Expand Collapse

sorry, I was asking BadAssBlackSport those questions...

as for you, I'd definitely go with the 15x8's and 33x12.5's... you'll be rubbing offroad/turning into driveways with only 2" lift, but it will definitely look alot better...

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER
    Expand Collapse

Fender edges and bumper rubbing?

10. DRED

DRED
    Expand Collapse

you won't have a problem with the bumper, but the rear of the front fender will cut up your tires offroad... if you look at the very bottom there's a little lip where the sheet metal meets up... get rid of that before you {expletive} up your tires like I did running 305/70's with over 2" lift...

11. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

I ran my 33x12.50's with a backspacing of 3 5/8" on 10 " rims with cronic rubbing (stock height) of the front lower fender lip and the wheel well right behind the tire. This was caused mostly by not enough backspacing....

12. joe

joe
    Expand Collapse

The 15/8 will have less backspacing than stock wheels or any 16/8 you would get later, plus the 33/12.5 is about an inch wider than a 285, so they will stick out more. This will mean it will cause more wear on your steering compontents and possibly cause vibration. Also the 285s(basically the same height as the 33/12.5)will have less sidewall to flex because the wheel itself woould be taller, plus the sidewall on the 285 would be stiffer because of the higher load rating. That means it will handle better, even if you really dont need the higher load rating for towing or anything. It will be a stiffer, tougher, and overall better constructed tire. I debated weather to get 33/12.5 on 15/8 or 285/75 on 16/8 for my chevy z71 when i lift it and decided to get the 285/75 when i do it, even though it will be more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.

13. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER
    Expand Collapse

MrJoe, with slightly more backspacing and 2" narrower rims, think the rubbing would be much better?

DRED, yeah, I see that little sucker there. My grinding wheel doesn't want to work with the new air hose here, but guy I work with has a Sawzall. :D:

14. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

I bet you would have less rubbing than I did, but I think you'll still hit offroad...Mine was fine, as long as I didn't turn slightly and hit a dip....It gave me the "excuse" I needed to con the wife into a lift :bigthumb:

15. James_R

James_R
    Expand Collapse

I like my 285's on my 16's. When I lift I'll prob get 16.5x9.75 just cause there's a multitude of tires available for that rim.

16. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER
    Expand Collapse

MrJoe, were you running them originally on your truck stock?

Like I said, the 2" spacer lift will be on there the day before the tires do. Probably taking my swaybar off though. :naughty:

17. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I was stock...daystars would have helpped a bunch...but I wanted a little more so I didn't discuss the Daystars with the Mrs..... :D:

18. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER
    Expand Collapse

Hahaha, yeah, good idea. What she doesn't know won't hurt you......... :naughty:

Think you could clear 35's on 15x8's with that 4" Trailmaster? Something like that is my eventual intention. :cool::

19. Mr Joe

Mr Joe
    Expand Collapse

mmmmm YES...that's the plan... :D:

20. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER
    Expand Collapse

Suweeeeeeeeeeet. :bigthumb: