3/4 ton springs on 1/2 ton truck for 3" lift in front?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by dodgeram4x4, Feb 8, 2007.

1. dodgeram4x4

dodgeram4x4
    Expand Collapse

Anybody have opinions or advice towards putting 3/4 ton springs on 1/2 ton dodge ram 4x4 for 3" of lift with 3" blocks in back. Ive heard rumours that it doesnt give a good ride, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

3/4-ton rear springs are 3" wide, whereas 1/2-ton rear springs are 2.5" wide. So, to do the swap you'd need to modify the perches on the axle, as well as replace the rear shackle and spring hanger with the 3/4-ton stuff. Not worth your time and money IMHO.

3. Patent Pending

Patent Pending
    Expand Collapse

As for up front, I'd just find the correct 3" 1500 coils. You can get new ones for about $125 and they'll have the correct spring rate and will ride better than 2500 springs.

Another option would be a coil spacer for the front too.

As for out back, I'd probably just put in an add-a-leaf or save up and get new spring packs. I'm running an AAL and an extra block to get about 6" of lift, but it isn't the ideal setup.

4. SlimMan

SlimMan
    Expand Collapse

I am running diesel springs up front. They barley netted me 3 inches before the heavy bumper now they yeild about 2-2.5 inches. I cant imagine that gas coils from a 3/4 ton would make much differnce becuase of spring rate. If you are looking for the hay wagon ride, then go for the 3/4 ton diesel springs, if not find some 3 inch gas lift coils or spacers for the front. It is a rough rough ride.