1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

241HD transfercase diy rebuild?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by jamestherons, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jamestherons

jamestherons
    Expand Collapse

anyone know where i can get a write up or a book on rebuilding a 241 HD transfercase on a 2001 dodge ram 3500? the shops want 300 just to pull it and tell me whats wrong with it

2. superhawk2002

superhawk2002
    Expand Collapse

Where do you live?

You can go to a dodge dealership and politely ask for the pages out of the manual. If you buy all the parts needed for the rebuild there and make friends with the guy at the parts counter, they will usually photocopy/print the pages for you.

They are a pita to get apart and together if you don't know what you're doing. I tried on two cases, and eventually took them somewhere to see someone put them both back together with new parts in less than an hour.

3. jamestherons

jamestherons
    Expand Collapse

I live in Detroit Michigan, that sucks i'm reading here that there a pice of cake to rebuild what do you think a honest shop would charge to rebuild it if i remove it myself.[hr]

4. Mikeg1005

Mikeg1005
    Expand Collapse

They really aren't that complicated... I took apart a NP241OR (rubicon case) all of them basically work the same.

Heres a run through of how it all goes together
    Take the thing out of the truck
    remove the rear cones so you can get at the snap ring that holds the output shaft in the case.
    Once its out, you take the bolts out that hold the two haves together, pull the case apart, you'll need to pry it open since its sealed...
    First thing you'll is the 4x4 chain, take the snap rings off the sprockets, and slide the sprockets off w/ the chain, under that you will see your see the 4x4 shift for and yoke, take that out, then under that is the range box(low gear) shifter and gears...when you take the 4x4 selector off you should be able to pull the main shaft out, and then the rest(plantery gears) left w/ the shifter...the plantery gear housing will come out... then take the case flip it over loosen the bolts on the front, pry the front cover off and there will be a ring gear set that slides out...

Just remember how you took it apart... it all goes back the same.

This sounds complicated but once you are in the case its simple IMHO theres not that much to it.

MIke.

5. jamestherons

jamestherons
    Expand Collapse

thanks mike