1999 GMC JIMMY SLT 4x4 Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy/GMC 4x4' started by 7SEVEN7, Jun 24, 2011.

1. 7SEVEN7

7SEVEN7
    Expand Collapse

my electronic 4x4 buttons are causing me issues, when i push any button 4hi 4lo or auto 4x4 i hear the axle lock but the buttons keep blinking and never solidify and after a few minutes the 2hi button re illuminates and unlockes my axle, basically i cannot get into any 4x4 mode. My Service 4x4 light is not on so i do not know what to do, is there a way to adjust this feature or can i possibly wire each button to a toggle switch maybe?? someone please tell me what to do

Thanks,

2. 7SEVEN7

7SEVEN7
    Expand Collapse

nothing from anyone????????:dunno::confused::dunno::confused:

3. sltlaramie

sltlaramie
    Expand Collapse

I have not had any issues with mine, but it could be the 4x4 actuator. I am pretty sure it's electronic. Something to look into.

4. 7SEVEN7

7SEVEN7
    Expand Collapse

hmmmmmmmm. indeed....

5. 7SEVEN7

7SEVEN7
    Expand Collapse

i found the problem. i feel stupid. it totally slipped my mind to check the transfer case oil and filters.

Cheers,

6. 7SEVEN7

7SEVEN7
    Expand Collapse

ok big problem now, bought the transfer case oil i needed, 2 bottles of it, got home loosened the fill bolt and out rushed alot of fluid so fluid is not what i needed. now im stuck with a still not working 4x4..... i looked in the manual and i troubleshooted it. it goes into neutral very well and 2hi unfortunately it doesnt come out of neutral quietly... i wasn't moving in fact i was in park and i shifted out of neutral into 2hi and it shifted but it made a very loud noise similar to if u slammed 2 pieces of steel tubing together..... so it didnt sound good at all. when i heard that i went and bought the fluid immediately got home and thats where i am now. i can drive fine without any grinding noises or anything i just cant shift into 4-anything. no service 4x4 light or anything.

so i have one word for all of u:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

any comments that help me would be great and appreciated

Thanks,

7. sltlaramie

sltlaramie
    Expand Collapse

at this point, I would take it to a shop. Trans shop or 4x4 shop should be able to help you out. The stealership will probably be pretty pricey.