1. Sorry for the initial hiccups after launch. Everyone should be able to login now.

Welcome to the new Pavement Sucks!

If you are having a problem logging in, try RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD HERE

1997 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Gas hates to cold start NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by badassfullsize72, Jan 30, 2008.

1. badassfullsize72

badassfullsize72
    Expand Collapse

This started a couple of days ago. When i park my truck for a while like 4 or more hours when i got back out to restart it it won't start. It will just sit there cranking. If I start feathering the gas pedal it will get some life and start to try and fire. After about 2 minutes of doing that, It will finally start up but starts at really really low RPM and I have to keep it floored til the RPM's come up. Once the truck is running it runs fine. And I can park it run into a store and come back out and it will start up just fine. But mainly wont start after it sits out all night or while it sits while I'm at work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

2. halycon

halycon
    Expand Collapse

Sounds kind of like a fuel pump issue... First make sure your fuel lines aren't leaking (crappy mileage would also be a good indication of that one).

Once you're sure that's not the issue, have someone sit inside the truck and turn the key to ON, but don't start it. Stand out by your gas tank and listen for a whirring sound. Then have your lovely assistant start the motor and you keep listening... if you don't here anything, something's wrong.

First check the fuel pump fuse, then your fuel pump, the pump's relay, and the ASD relay. If ya need help checking those things, lemme know and I'll give you some more help.

3. badassfullsize72

badassfullsize72
    Expand Collapse

okay thanks for the help. Any other suggestions would be greatly helpful to. Another thing i didnt mention earlier is when it does finally fire up its smoke pretty bad but only for a minute or 2 until the engine starts to warm up then no smoke what so ever.

4. 01ctd

01ctd
    Expand Collapse

i have the same problem but i have a block heater on mine. dont ask why it has one but it dose so i just plug it in. but my guess was the hard starting has to do with my blown plenum gasket.

5. halycon

halycon
    Expand Collapse

If you're getting white smoke, it means you have water or anti-freeze leaking into cylinders from somewhere (probably the head gasket). If you have blue smoke in there, there could be oil leaking in too.

Check your oil to see if there's any anti-freeze/water contaminating it. If there is, it'll have a milky look to it. Blown head gaskets, cracked heads, and bad intake manifold gaskets can cause this. Often times overheating will make those parts fail... has the truck overheated ever?

A good way to check for oil leaking into the cylinders is by looking at your spark plugs. If they're black and full of oil, you know you have a leak. I don't know Magnum engines well enough to recommend any specific seals or anything to check, but I'm sure some searches around here might reveal some info for ya.

EDIT: Mine actually starts hard too and I'm beginning to think the cause of mine is also the blown plenum gasket. Seems to me like the pressure inside the kegger intake is taking longer to build up because of the blown gasket and that's making it take longer to start.

Badass, to check for a blown plenum, take your airbox off and open up the blades on your throttle body. Shine a flashlight down in the holes and if you see oil sitting in there, your plenum gasket is blown. Here's what you want to replace it:

http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11698#

Sorry for the novel :rotfl:

6. Mobius

Mobius
    Expand Collapse

It could be one or more injectors dumping fuel into the intake after you shut it off. If it is black smoke, that would be my guess. Next time, hold the throttle wide open and crank it (dont feather it). The computer thinks you have somehow flooded it and wont fire the injectors until you let off the gas. This is a throw-back to the carb days.

7. badassfullsize72

badassfullsize72
    Expand Collapse

Okay well the smoke is white with a hint of blue to it. I checked the oil and it looks fine so discoloration or change in texture. Then i pulled 3 of the spark plugs to check them out and they were dirty, but no oil build up on them. Then i removed the air box and opened the throttle plates and shined a flash light down and saw a small small puddle of oil and the rest of it was just damp but could tell what it was damp/wet with. And the smoke still doesnt make sense to me cause its only for a couple of minutes. All i can think of is its just all the unburned gas or something from me cranking on it for so long.

8. Bandit

Bandit
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like the plenum gasket.

9. Spike

Spike
    Expand Collapse

I've seen your issue before, and it was a leaky injector. When it sits long enough, the leaky injector(s) floods your engine.

10. halycon

halycon
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't it be smoking black if that injector were leaking a bunch of fuel into the cylinder though? It definitely seems weird that you're smoking and not seeing any of the other symptoms though...

11. deputydawg_mcsd

deputydawg_mcsd
    Expand Collapse

Mine did the same thing about a month ago and all it was just a dead cell in the battery. I put a new battery on it and haven't had any problems since. I was having to keep the rpm's at 1500 to keep it running once it started atleast until the battery charged itself back up. I personally didn't know a battery would do that. With it just having a bad cell it was holding enough juice to try and start. Take the battery to Autozone or somewhere and have them test it and they can tell if it has a bad cell.

12. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid:

A bad cell in his battery will not cause the other prolems he's having.

13. hitman46mod

hitman46mod
    Expand Collapse

If it is cold in your area check that your I.A.T sensor is working. And if your running a K&N filter check your MAF if it gets dirty with oil it will cause cold start issues. :bigthumb:

14. badassfullsize72

badassfullsize72
    Expand Collapse

Okay replaced the plenum gasket 2 weekends ago and added the reinforcing plate. Also put in a new radiator, replaced the intake manifold gaskets and new valve cover gaskets. The truck started right up and did fine. Parked it over night and the next morning back to the same thing didn't want to start unless i kept pressing on the gas. But had no smoke. So left it at home for the week and went back to school. Came back and the battery was completely shot replaced it with a new one and it fired right up. Drove it all day saturday and towards the end of the day it started smoking and having trouble starting and had trouble returning to idle. If i was driving and let of the gas it would drop below idle pretty low and then return to idle but almost felt like it was going to die. Sunday it wouldn't start for me. Cranked fine it seemed like but just seemed like its still having problems with getting fuel. I can smell fuel after cranking on it for a while so not sure if its ignition or what. It does start a heck of a lot easier when its warm. Pulled it in my garage last weekend its a heated garage and it started up the next morning very easily. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I do have a K&N so will check that out the MAF and also going to get the alternator checked out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the novel.

15. badassfullsize72

badassfullsize72
    Expand Collapse

16. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like an injector is leaking afteryou shut the truck off

17. badassfullsize72

badassfullsize72
    Expand Collapse

Whats the best way to go about checking that. And narrowing it down to which injector or injectors.

18. bigRed0678

bigRed0678
    Expand Collapse

This happened to me when i would leave the truck sit out over night it woulnt start in the morning, just crank. i replaced the spark plugs and the problem went away. easy fix, easy to try,

19. piper

piper
    Expand Collapse

Wouldn't it be smoking black if that injector were leaking a bunch of fuel into the cylinder though? It definitely seems weird that you're smoking and not seeing any of the other symptoms though...

Obvisouly excess diesel is black but excess gas wouldnt, correct me if im wrong.:dunno:

20. Texas97

Texas97
    Expand Collapse

i always thought that excess oil consumption caused white smoke??? but i had an 82 Chevy that leaked a little fuel through the carb and it smoked a puff of white at start up everytime. damn thing would crank everytime though. even after sitting for many months.

another thing is, have you recently checked your injectors or removed the fuel rail? i had a similar issue with mine not starting and that was because i hadnt seated all the o-rings correctly in the fuel rail. its worth a check.