1978 1 ton chevy revival - Build #1

Discussion in 'Vehicle Build-Ups' started by Off_Road_Ram_01, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Off_Road_Ram_01

Off_Road_Ram_01 Well-Known Member

So for those that didn't read in the brothel, and was in the right place at the right time and picked up a 1978 1 ton chevy dually dump truck with western plow. I was looking at snow blowers and an older gentleman overheard my talking to the sale clerk. He started saying he had a old chevy dump truck and plow, though it wont start at temps below 30deg. He told me he just wanted it out of the yard since he bought a lawn tractor with snow blower. Price was beyond right at $50. I texted him my info and figured I wouldn't hear back from him ever again. Week goes by and he texts me a pick - from what I could see it looked pretty sharp, again for the price especially. He said there was snow in the way would have to wait till spring. Lucky for me we've had rain and 40deg temps for a week, and he then texts saying he got it running and come pick it up.

Again thinking too good to be true, I show up to buy the truck. Look it over, and deal was done. lol - I gave him $60, signed title over, and away I went - drove the truck home.

What we got: 1978 chevy 1 ton chassis cab designation. Was suppose to have 400, but somewhere along the way it was swapped to a 350. Starts quick and sounds great - at warm idle almost sounds to have a different cam in it. The owner I bought it from put dual batteries in truck, and a few other interesting farmer engineered items.

350/TH400/203 setup
    Assuming 4.10 gears

Quick list of known items:
    Passenger rear lights not working (no brake, tail lights, or directional)
    Front passenger directional don't flash
    Rockers gone
    Cab corners - not horrible
    Doors rotted - usable for now
    Dash shot
    Mouse next was made in heater - lovely smell.
    Have yet to play with dump bed - previous owner didn't use it. Appears to be electric drive hydraulic setup. PLus dump bed sides are rotted - might be able to salvage and weld new patches in.
    Front springs ill - one is almost on bumpstop already
    Gas filler neck / brackets rusted

PLans are to either down the road replace cab - might just patch some items for now. Want to get it on the road this summer for my landscaping mega project at home. Clean up engine compartment, obviously some wiring to sort out, and probably replace some front end parts.

Drives pretty good on the road, little wandering, brakes seem great (which I was surprised). Pics to follow this weekend.

2. Off_Road_Ram_01

So after finishing up night shift yesterday morning spent a little time looking at the dump bed. I found a spring loaded push button on the dash - pressing that powers up the electric hydraulic pump. But didn't get any movement in bed - there is a another spring solenoid on the tank that I have to try. Going to recruit the wife tomorrow - since Im stuck at work again today.

Found a complete cab with interior, doors, etc by our Michigan place - asking $550, but they didn't show rust pictures / body mount area.

Also when walking past the rear, I think I found the lighting issue - the passenger side light assembly wiring is broke off.

3. Off_Road_Ram_01

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the dump to work - though will need some metal patched on the dump frame on bottom.
    [​IMG]

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Well-Known Member

totally awesome score!!!! my deal of a century (1992) was 2..
    1 got a 1978 k20 camper special 8400gvrw for $500..
    4:56's, dual tanks, sb350, np205 and sm465!!!!!

2nd was a 2wd diesel that didnt run for the body $300.... so your in 2 digit land.. wow.. total score!!!!

5. Off_Road_Ram_01

AAAnnnndddd just like that it is over.
    Since we've added more rigs to our house, I flipped the dump truck for a good profit. Had a guy come almost 2hrs to pick it up.

$1000 and off it went to it's new home.

Started finding more rust - the rear shackles were rusted off, and the passenger side, and getting the rzr fixed for plowing next year again.