1 Ton Dually Disc Brake Conversion?

Discussion in 'Dodge 4x4' started by crow5716, Sep 18, 2011.

1. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

So I've been researching this for awhile. I've found threads about this on all types of boards including this one. I was looking for an everything in one kit. I found one by Blackbird Custom which seems decent. I've read good things about the company. Their kit including calipers is only like $650. That's calipers, rotors, pads, bracket, spacer and hardware. I found another kit that was like $1400 bucks and didn't even include calipers. I emailed them asking about their kit and after they told me the price I told them nevermind I found one cheaper and they replied with "If it is Blackbird Customs then good luck" I'm not sure if they are suggesting the product is garbage or just trying to keep from loosing business. I started asking questions about why their product was so expensive and asked for a detailed list of what comes in their $1400 kit and a price break down of every item to see how they came to that price and have not received a reply yet.

So does this Blackbird Custom kit sound ok or would I be better off piecing it together myself? I wouldn't know where to start though. I don't know what calipers to use or where to find the deep rotors that look like they come with these kits. I don't know where to find d70 brackets for the calipers. I can find the d60 brackets but are they the same? I can find d70 brackets but it says they are for Ford? Are they the same? Some of the brackets have bends in them to move the caliper over. Is this for the dually? Do I need those kind or not? So many questions. That's why I was leaning towards just finding a kit for my specific truck.

Also this one company told me I need to buy a hydro boost kit from them when I do my disc brake conversion kit on my 95 dodge. What is that about? I haven't read anything else about this with any other conversion kit.

Please school me folks. Thanks

-crow

2. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

3. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

4. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

check out http://www.egrbrakes.com/

i assume they are still in business, but the site has not been updated in a while

5. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

EGR are the guys I've been emailing back and forth with. Their kit is like $1400!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-crow

6. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

I really appreciate all the input guys.... :dodgy:

-crow

7. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

really, $1400? what kit is it and what does it include? their site is old, but the 2500 stuff is $1000 for a full package, 3500 can't be much, if any, more.

btw, thought a junk yard swap? 01 and later were rear disk from the factory.

8. Hacksaw

Hacksaw
    Expand Collapse

I looked into doing this conversion on a D70 for my truck, most of the parts were easy to get off the shelf (Gm Calipers, pads) But the rotors needed to have the center hole bored out or something? Oh and you need the brackets to mount the calipers to the axle.

9. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

That's what I was trying to find out. I asked for a list of items included in the kit and a price breakdown for each item to understand how they came to that price. And they never emailed me back after that. That $1400 didn't even include calipers. I'm just going to call this Blackbird customs and maybe go from there.

-crow

10. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

I've been interested in the Blackbird stuff, but don't know of anyone who has ordered from them. Brackets shouldn't be more than $75, parking brake Eldorado calipers are about $200-250 for the pair but are getting hard to find, rotors should be around $40 each, brake lines are about $25 each. Am I missing something? I'm with you, $1400 seems ridiculous. It would be better to just go with an AAM axle swap than pay $1400! :eek::

FYI, I'm sure there is a hefty product liability charge associated with this conversion.

11. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure if this is included in the $1400 price they gave me or if this is true or not. I have no idea. Here is what they just sent me in an email today...

"ANY DUALLY KIT WITH CTD BRAKE BOOSTER WILL REQUIRE OUR HYDRO BOOST KIT TO
    MAKE ENOUGH PRESURE TO WORK."

Is this true? I haven't read about other needing a hydro boost kit while doing a disc brake conversion...?

-crow

12. RamSport59

RamSport59
    Expand Collapse

FYI, search on pirate, I got my D60 conversion with chevy 1/2 calipers and everything for $350 shipped. Only difference should be the bracket for the D70.

Rick

13. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

I saw a cheap conversion kit on pirate by Great Lakes Custom or Offroad or something. But their brackets seem junky and I haven't read too many good things about them.

I'm going to make an account on a dodge forum site or a cummins site to ask someone. Not getting many answers here.

-crow

14. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

I'd be very interested to find out what you learn!

15. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

junkyard a set of disk brakes from a 01 or 02. as far as I recall the axles did not change until 03 and the 01's are when rear disks started

16. crow5716

crow5716
    Expand Collapse

What about this hydroboost kit they claim I need on the 95 CTD. They say I wouldn't have enough pressure for the rear discs?

-crow

17. JasonB

JasonB
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

not really sure if it would be required, we need a more knowledgeable diesel person to answer that.

18. outalne94z71

outalne94z71
    Expand Collapse

if you have a ctd then you already should have hydroboost, a diesel cannot have regular vacuum boost.

19. swirvin21

swirvin21
    Expand Collapse

:withstupid: x 2. Can't imagine you'd need a more powerful unit? If they switched to rear disc in '03 and didn't change the unit you should be fine, otherwise swap to an '03 unit, cheaper than buying from them I'm sure.

20. RamSport59

RamSport59
    Expand Collapse

Factory rear disc started in 01.5.

My bracket kit has held up fine, and is not weak or poorly made. actually very happy with it.

Rick