02 Dodge Ram Front Driveline question

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension' started by sledjockey, Feb 6, 2009.

1. sledjockey

sledjockey
    Expand Collapse

I originally posted this in the Dodge section, but I didn't get any replies. I figured I would move it over here to see if I got some help

TIA.

I replaced the U joints in the rear driveline this last weekend (a TOTAL bitch mind you - ended up pressing the cups out after heating up the yolk) but went to do the front and noticed for the first time that it uses a CV shaft type thing. WTF?

Anyone replace it with a real driveline? If so, what are the potential bad things that could happen because of the swap, ie, will the shafts or bearings take the added weight, need a special 2 piece for movement (don't know why from looking at it), the Dodge Gods will smack me, etc....

2. biggee72

biggee72
    Expand Collapse

I'm confused. The front driveshaft has a CV centering kit your not able to rebuild. What is a real drive shaft? If you can't rebuild it just replace it w/ a new one.

3. Ramination

Ramination
    Expand Collapse

4. Glenshadow

Glenshadow
    Expand Collapse

If this is a 2002 Ram 1500, then you have a CV joint on the transfer case end and a normal U-Joint on the axle end.

If you have a 2002 Ram 2500, then you have a double Cardan Joint which has been rebuilt in the past by some engineering folks but it wasn't easy and it best left up to a driveline shop.

In the event that it is the 1500, then your not able to do jack {expletive} with it other than replace the whole shaft. I looked into replacing the setup with parts and spent some time with the driveline shop lookin it over, but came to the conclusion that the replacement setup may or may not work right plus it would be more expensive than just buying a replacement shaft for $250 from the Stealership.

In the end I put new shaft on and it has been fine.

I am guessing the 3rd gen trucks must be too new for everyone still if no one gave you these answers in the Dodge section (and if you have a 3rd gen)

*Yes that was sarcasim, but not directed at original poster*

5. sledjockey

sledjockey
    Expand Collapse

I have an 02 1500.... I have always been leery of CV shafts not out of any other reason than I have replaced more CV shafts than drivelines in my life. Nothing scientific, just an expectation on my part of eventual failure at the WORST possible moment. U joints are cheap......

By "real" driveline, I was thinking about heading down to a junk yard and buying a 2 piece one like what comes in the 8 ft bed 1500's, take it to a driveline shop, and have them make me one. Something with U joints that are easy to grease, etc.....

The damn CV shaft I have now seems to have a lot of play in it so I ran down to the Stealership and crawled under a new one... Same play.

Seems like a flaw of the engineers, but I am not one so I am probably wrong.