Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
throttle valve cable
10-20-2009, 05:58 AM
throttle valve cable
does anyone have a pic of the throttle valve cable on their truck. I have a 97 ram 1500 4x4 with the 360 and the 46re, I know my throttle valve cable is out of adjustment, but would like to see a pic of it so I know exactly which cable it is.

'97 Ram sport, 5.9l 360 mossy oak interior chrome thermostat cover, summit racing spark plug wires, E3 spark plugs, optima red top, thrush glass pack, magnaflow cat., K&N air and oil filter, Hella 500 lights, Rancho shocks, 2.5" leveling kit, suspension maxx end links, energy suspension sway bar mounts, pioneer deck, 33" bfg a/t's
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2009, 11:09 AM
RE: throttle valve cable
I don't have a picture, but there are only three cables connected to the butterfly valve on the TB...the one on the backside (towards the firewall) is the transmission kick-down cable (I think this is the right terminology). The other two are on the front (towards the radiator)...both wrap around to the driverside of the truck, one goes into the firewall and the other goes into the cruise control controller. You want to adjust the one that goes into the firewall...although I think the adjustment is on the pedal side.

99 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 - 100k, 360ci-V8, 46RE, NV231HD, Hughes Plenum Kit, 180 degF T-Stat, 1-Chamber Flow Master, Tow Hooks, 33" BFG-AT, Optima Red Top, MP Air Cleaner
03 VW Jetta TDI - Silver, 125k, 5spd, VCDS, PP520, RC3, DG Racepipe, Ventectomy, ON CCV, 4pt lift pads, 17" Audi TT wheels, E-Codes
10-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I found this a few years ago on here. This is for a 46re. Enjoy the reading.

Matt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TRANSMISSION THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT
The transmission throttle valve is operated by a cam on the valve body throttle lever. The throttle lever is actuated by a cable connected to the engine throttle body lever Throttle Valve Cable Attachment - At Engine A retaining clip at the engine-end of the cable is removed to provide for cable adjustment. The retaining clip is then installed back onto the throttle valve cable to lock in the adjustment.

A correctly adjusted throttle valve cable, will cause the throttle lever on the transmission to move simultaneously with the throttle body lever from the idle position. Proper adjustment allows simultaneous movement without causing the transmission throttle lever to move ahead of, or lag behind the throttle body lever.

THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT CHECK
Turn ignition key to OFF position.
Remove air cleaner.
Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body lever Throttle Valve Cable Attachment - At Engine
Verify that throttle body lever is at curb idle position. Then verify that transmission throttle lever is also at idle (full forward) position.
Compare position of cable end to attachment stud on throttle body lever:
Cable end and attachment stud should be aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1 mm (0.039 in.) in either direction.
If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned (off center), cable will have to be adjusted as described in following procedure.
Reconnect cable end to attachment stud. Then with aid of a helper, observe movement of transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body.
If both levers move simultaneously from idle to half-throttle and back to idle position, adjustment is correct.
If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of, or lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment will be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents transmission lever from returning to closed position, cable adjustment will be necessary
THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE
Turn ignition switch to OFF position and shift into Park.
Remove air cleaner.
Disconnect cable end from attachment stud on throttle body. Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pull or pry cable off.
Verify that transmission throttle lever is in idle (full forward) position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
Insert a small screwdriver under edge of retaining clip and remove retaining clip.
Center cable end on attachment stud to within 1 mm (0.039 in.)
NOTE: Be sure that as the cable is pulled forward and centered on the throttle lever stud, the cable housing moves smoothly with the cable. Due to the angle at which the cable housing enters the spring housing, the cable housing may bind slightly and create an incorrect adjustment.

Install retaining clip onto cable housing.
Check cable adjustment. Be sure transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously and as described in cable adjustment checking procedure

'1998 1500 4x4 sport money pit

Some things in life should go without saying, but there\'s always the occasional genius who needs to be told not to use a vacuum cleaner to pick up something that is on fire.
10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
thanks a lot I'm going at that right after I get some new shocks and a heater core

'97 Ram sport, 5.9l 360 mossy oak interior chrome thermostat cover, summit racing spark plug wires, E3 spark plugs, optima red top, thrush glass pack, magnaflow cat., K&N air and oil filter, Hella 500 lights, Rancho shocks, 2.5" leveling kit, suspension maxx end links, energy suspension sway bar mounts, pioneer deck, 33" bfg a/t's
10-21-2009, 11:08 AM
(10-20-2009 11:09 AM)RamMan4x4 Wrote:  I don't have a picture, but there are only three cables connected to the butterfly valve on the TB...the one on the backside (towards the firewall) is the transmission kick-down cable (I think this is the right terminology). The other two are on the front (towards the radiator)...both wrap around to the driverside of the truck, one goes into the firewall and the other goes into the cruise control controller. You want to adjust the one that goes into the firewall...although I think the adjustment is on the pedal side.

The Throttle valve cable (aka TV cable) is what you are calling the kickdown cable. On a dodge transmission it adjusts line pressure in the transmission (this adjustment is critical). The one that goes through the firewall to the pedal would just be the throttle cable and adjustment is not nearly as important.

1994 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9L - Still a POS (but my DD)
1989 W150 360ci TBI - New Tranny among many other new parts
1980 Dodge Aspen 225ci Slant Six - Getting a 440/A727?
1981 Dodge D250 Crew Cab - Newest Project
10-21-2009, 05:26 PM
(10-21-2009 11:08 AM)Gerehead8 Wrote:  
(10-20-2009 11:09 AM)RamMan4x4 Wrote:  I don't have a picture, but there are only three cables connected to the butterfly valve on the TB...the one on the backside (towards the firewall) is the transmission kick-down cable (I think this is the right terminology). The other two are on the front (towards the radiator)...both wrap around to the driverside of the truck, one goes into the firewall and the other goes into the cruise control controller. You want to adjust the one that goes into the firewall...although I think the adjustment is on the pedal side.

The Throttle valve cable (aka TV cable) is what you are calling the kickdown cable. On a dodge transmission it adjusts line pressure in the transmission (this adjustment is critical). The one that goes through the firewall to the pedal would just be the throttle cable and adjustment is not nearly as important.

i think i might need to adjust my TV cable...is it simple to do or woul i mess up something critical if i don't do it right!

2000 DODGE RAM 4x4 -NEW PROJECT<BR>(limited modifications)<BR>FLOWMASTERS<BR>K&N AIR FILTER<BR>MIKEY THOMPSON\'S BAJA MTZ\'s
10-21-2009, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2009 06:05 PM by Archer.)
This may help...

Click Here
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-22-2009, 12:44 PM
very good help....thanks! my last question is..... adjusting this cable is to the drivers desire in the transmission shifts? correct???? adjusting this will not damage my transmission at all or would it?

2000 DODGE RAM 4x4 -NEW PROJECT<BR>(limited modifications)<BR>FLOWMASTERS<BR>K&N AIR FILTER<BR>MIKEY THOMPSON\'S BAJA MTZ\'s
10-22-2009, 01:19 PM
(10-20-2009 05:58 AM)Ram Wrote:  does anyone have a pic of the throttle valve cable on their truck. I have a 97 ram 1500 4x4 with the 360 and the 46re, I know my throttle valve cable is out of adjustment, but would like to see a pic of it so I know exactly which cable it is.

i think i need to adjust my tv cable aswell... but how can i make sure that i need to adjust it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  tv cable gtnrdid 2 924 11-22-2011 08:43 AM
Last Post: gtnrdid
  Throttle Cable? DTex11 2 686 09-29-2009 04:50 AM
Last Post: RamMan4x4
  throttle cable adjustment? mudpuppy 0 667 11-18-2005 05:44 PM
Last Post: mudpuppy
  Homemade throttle cable guide, will it hold up? Mikeg1005 9 953 09-25-2005 05:08 PM
Last Post: Mikeg1005
  Throttle body cable guide need help. Mikeg1005 1 402 09-15-2005 01:56 PM
Last Post: Mikeg1005
  throttle or throttle body problems.... Big Green 2 469 06-01-2003 07:32 PM
Last Post: Big Green
  throttle cable...jacked up... please help... PLEASE!!! Big Green 2 540 04-20-2002 11:48 PM
Last Post: Badboy4453