Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
CB Radio
12-14-2003, 10:08 PM

i have a cobra.. i dont know 40 channels anyway its a firestik antennae. it works good when it works Bang Head
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2003, 10:41 PM

Quote:On 2003-12-14 17:23, UHH-OH wrote:
Go get yourself a Cobra 25 or Uniden pc 66 or 68 have it peaked and tuned by a good tech. Get a good mic Road King or Astatic, also have your swr checked. Talk all you want , tell the whole world to have a coke and a smile and kiss your a$$.

Running Galaxy 77 driving LA 900 knocking 1400Watts of mobile power. "Back out and rockin on"
C-YA, Jeff

Wiat your running 1400 watts mobile? Damn boy what kinda antenna and how many alternators you running Crazy I'd love to see some pics of your setup cuz right now im headed towards the shed to get the "BS" flag so that I can put it on the flag-pole.

I know the shortwave linear amps when running at 1.5K (full duty cycle - these can run 2.5 at 30 second at a continuous signal like CW, 1/2 hour for voice) draws 15 amps at 240 volts. Thats 300 amps at 12VDC - a 1.4KW'er should draw only a hair less than that.

1998 TJ - unstockish<BR>WranglerForum<BR>http://www.4x4tj.com
12-15-2003, 09:03 AM

ive known a few people who run roughly 1600 watts BUT they are also in a 18 wheeler. one guy i knew had the same set up in his 4x4 but it didnt work to its potential due to the fact he couldnt supply it with the proper amount of power.

Expecting eloquence in an INTERNET FORUM is similar to expecting Britney Spears to sew her vagina shut and join a monastery.
Find all posts by this user
12-15-2003, 12:35 PM

in an 18 wheeler it makes more sense (even though I oviously dont approve of it Wink ) since they've got huge power sources and you can put the antenna a fair distance away. On a truck, car, or SUV - pumping 1.4Kw right over or behind your head is just begging for some tissue damage

12-15-2003, 01:16 PM

Quote:On 2003-12-12 20:51, steved wrote:

The reason a lot of trucks run two is the fact that it gives them better coverage...the truck body acts like a signal block...if you only have an antenna on one side (assuming it is below the top of the cab) then you can only talk to that side with any real range...they run two (one each side) to prevent a signal "shadow."

steve

The two antennas create a "beam effect" which channels the signal better to the front and rear of the rigs. it also allows them to run bigger Amplifiers becuase the little antennas they use aren't designed for linears.

This "beam effect" is not a good idea in a pick-up becuase it reduces your antennas "omni-directional" abilites. Basically, you won't be able to recieve signals form all directions with two antennas like you would with on antenna.

All stock radios have the same transmitting power 4 watts. The difference with the nice radios is that they have better noise reduction. This cuts down on the amount of static an other noises that you'll pick-up.

Another reson that they only allow CBs to run 4 watts of TX or transmitting power is because CBs cause all sorts of interference when a linear amplifier is used.

About ten years ago , I had a 200 watt amp and I could talk on the drive thorugh system at Carls' Junior, I could set off car-alarms, and I could set off the "ding dong" sensor at the local liquor store.

The best antenna for CBing from your vehicle is an 8 foot steel whip. If anyone tells you differently, they are lying. All Mobile CB antennas are a 1/4 wave design. A full quarter wave on CB frequencies is 8 feet. If you have a shortened antenna like a Wilson 5000, the coils are used to make up a total length of 8 feet. These coils reduce efficiency.

The item that the first guy was talking about is called a SWR meter. The higher the signal to wave ratio is, the higher the RF losses. Here is some more info on this subject. http://www.qsl.net/xq2fod/Electron/swr/swr.html

You use these meters to test your SWR and to adjust your antennas if they are adjustable. An 8 foot antenna is non-adjustable but, it's a good idea to check the swr to make sure everything is working properly.

I stopped playing with the CB and became a licensed Amatuer Radio operator and can legally run 1500 watts. The most I have ever used is 100 watts.
I have talked to people on every continent in the world, all 50 states (with QSL cards to prove it).

If you want to "talk skip" regularly, consider HAM radio. You can bounce signals off the moon (moonbounce),Bounce signals off the ionosphere (same as CB skip) and you can even bounce signals off of meteor trails (this works best during the big meteor showers).

Bill,

2004 Nissan Titan, SE Crew Cab, 5.6 V8 Deepwater
12-15-2003, 02:43 PM

I am With Stupid

Aside from CB TX circuits putting out fairly "Dirty" transmissions - they tend to wreak havoc on devices like those wireless doorbell thingies, drive thrus, etc. b/c a lot of these devices share the 27mhz freq. range.

Also I'm not sure if the "All CB antennas are 1/4 wave" statement is true - I notice that 4-foot steelwhips without coils are very common in the local stores. Since theyre missing doodads like coils - this would make em 1/8 wave right?

12-15-2003, 03:32 PM

The short antennas should have a coil on them somewhere. it doesn't have to large it can be very thin . The larger coils, have less loss than the tightly wrapped coils fine wire coils.

An 1/8 wave would need a special tuner to make it work with a CB because the OHMs at the antenna connector would be way off.

2004 Nissan Titan, SE Crew Cab, 5.6 V8 Deepwater
12-15-2003, 05:19 PM

I just got a 400 watt linear...sorry, but it only pulls 25 Amps. They don't pull as much power as you are led to believe...no more power than a stereo amplifier (my 200 watt stereo amplifier pulls 30 Amps.) I tested this with a true RMS meter...I run twin batteries and 140 amp alternator with 8-gauge wire. Besides, think about when the amp is drawing power...only during transmit...you don't transmit continuously giving the battery time to catch up...same as running a winch!! And, your amplifier is pulling as much juice as any other amplifier!

Sorry, but not many people want to be as elite as Ham operators think they are...I have no time to sit for a test and all the BS required to get a liscense...only to be one of a few off-roaders that have a Ham radio...the majority of us run CBs and CBs are in OUR price range. I have a scanner and can receive Ham transmissions...I don't hear 0.01% of the ham radio traffic as there is cb transmissions on channel 19 alone! In my many travels, I have only ran into ONE person running a Ham Radio on the trail...and he had nobody there to talk with because he didn't have a CB.

I have a Wilson 5000...a very good affordable antenna...an eight foot whip might be "better", but how much better??? And sorry, but I hit enough things now with this whip, let alone with eight foot of BS sticking up! Again, you are relating to fine tuning Ham radios and our "dirty" CB radios are, according to you, too imperfect to worry then right? If eight footers were "perfect" then don't you think every truck driver in the US would have one on their truck? And my Wilson is rated for 3000 watts AM, 30,000 watts SSB...can't used it on an amplifier?????? Works good so far!

I will leave someone else buy all those Hams they want cause there are not many on the trail...according to your own post, around $800 for a radio setup????? WOW, that'd buy my D60F!! I have a couple hundred in mine, however I did it a little at a time and most people wouldn't like the stuff I did to mine. And how far do you really need to talk on the trail...I mean, I usually can see the guy in front of me? Why do you need a Ham?? Just like my tuned up radio...I only use it on the road when I'm travelling, one the trail, it's cranked as low as I can make it and the conex is turned off.

Not running anybody down, just pointing out another view to your Ham "perfect" world. They have there place, but I can't justify one myself.

steve

2012 Chevrolet 2500HD Silverado 4wd
12-15-2003, 05:39 PM

Quote:On 2003-12-15 16:19, steved wrote:
I just got a 400 watt linear...sorry, but it only pulls 25 Amps. They don't pull as much power as you are led to believe...no more power than a stereo amplifier (my 200 watt stereo amplifier pulls 30 Amps.) I tested this with a true RMS meter...I run twin batteries and 140 amp alternator with 8-gauge wire. Besides, think about when the amp is drawing power...only during transmit...you don't transmit continuously giving the battery time to catch up...same as running a winch!! And, your amplifier is pulling as much juice as any other amplifier!
Amplifiers change their design past a certain ammount of desired amplification - yours is 400watts, not 1400 - theres a HUGE difference in their designs. The majority of 1.3KW+ amps are not solid state; they use tubes. THis draws way more current - but its the only way you can handle that ammount of RF output. A 400watters like yours is probably solid state. A more "power efficient" design - but it has its limitations.
Quote:Sorry, but not many people want to be as elite as Ham operators think they are...I have no time to sit for a test and all the BS required to get a liscense
It takes 4 hours to be taught, tested, and pass.

Quote:...only to be one of a few off-roaders that have a Ham radio...the majority of us run CBs and CBs are in OUR price range.
2M set as I said is about 140 bucks, requires no special "tweaking" and gets out further then a CB without using a repeater (dont even need to bring up how much firther WITH one).
Quote:I have a scanner and can receive Ham transmissions...I don't hear 0.01% of the ham radio traffic as there is cb transmissions on channel 19 alone! In my many travels, I have only ran into ONE person running a Ham Radio on the trail...and he had nobody there to talk with because he didn't have a CB.
You actually sit and listen to all 15 a$$igned ham bands? Trust me - theres tons of traffic just in the voice mode, bunch more in CW/FSK/Packet modes. As for that one guy? Well yes I have a CB too because thats what most ppl run - but what if someone gets in a serious injury? The odds of a CB doing you any good are fairly rare, and cell phones are almost always out of the question. my HAM is the only form of communication that I have NEVER found an unrepeated area in. Repeaters ALWAYS have at least like 15 people listening, more than glad to help you out. Besides I doubt your scanner has nearly as sensitive as a receiver as a ham radio does on whatever band its supposed to work in. Your probably missing out on a lot of traffic cuz you cant pick it up.

Quote:I have a Wilson 5000...a very good affordable antenna...an eight foot whip might be "better", but how much better??? And sorry, but I hit enough things now with this whip, let alone with eight foot of BS sticking up! Again, you are relating to fine tuning Ham radios and our "dirty" CB radios are, according to you, too imperfect to worry then right?

Yep, mostly - however if you get that antenna I suggest tuning it otherwise you will cause more harmfull emmissions and set more things on haywire. This ESPECIALLY applies with a linear

Quote:If eight footers were "perfect" then don't you think every truck driver in the US would have one on their truck? And my Wilson is rated for 3000 watts AM, 30,000 watts SSB...can't used it on an amplifier?????? Works good so far!

So truckers are more likely to know the physics behind antennas now? I dont actually recal what that model wilson looks like - but I wouldnt trust that figure without actually testing it and testing your SWR.

Quote:I will leave someone else buy all those Hams they want cause there are not many on the trail...according to your own post, around $800 for a radio setup????? WOW, that'd buy my D60F!! I have a couple hundred in mine, however I did it a little at a time and most people wouldn't like the stuff I did to mine. And how far do you really need to talk on the trail...I mean, I usually can see the guy in front of me? Why do you need a Ham?? Just like my tuned up radio...I only use it on the road when I'm travelling, one the trail, it's cranked as low as I can make it and the conex is turned off.
you misread; SHORTWAVE is $800. Most mobiles dont have a need to talk world wide in every single exiting mode. A good mobile rig will start at $120

Quote:Not running anybody down, just pointing out another view to your Ham "perfect" world. They have there place, but I can't justify one myself.

steve

Just stating some facts Wink

12-15-2003, 05:59 PM

Thumbs Up!

At least you can relate...some!

I run a Wilson 5000...they come in several configurations, mine is a base loaded magnetic. It has been tuned and gets tuned about once every 6 months regardless. My amp is solid state, but when was the last time you saw a tube amplifier that was a mobile unit...they are also completely HUGE if I remember what my friend's home model looked like.

And I restate...Hams have their place, but most people have CBs. And Hams do not work everywhere. I know a lot of places around the east coast that DO have shadows. My friend was the one with the ham (one of four in his truck!) and there were times when he had no signal. So they can leave you sitting just like a CB. Anything that relies on radio signals can leave you sitting, not just Ham or CB.

And some of the truck driver's out there would surprise you what they know about CBs and components. I have seen some of the setups they have...and some are very impressive, even for CBs.

My friend wanted me to get my license, but I passed. It is something you need to have an interest. I'm interested CBs and so are a lot of others.

steved

2012 Chevrolet 2500HD Silverado 4wd